• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod builders

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all,
This Guy is Excellent !!!
Check out his website 👍

Attachments

• IMG_1672.PNG
    IMG_1672.PNG
    274.9 KB · Views: 277
Surely all the craft is in the blank?...builders merely decorate.

Anyone can stick on some cork and gaffer tape some guides.

Seriously though, there is an element of truth in this...we happily pay £100s more for a bespoke rod that something like a high end Freespirit or Daiwa in my opinion is now probably a better finish.

But you pays your money.😊

Seriously though, there is an element of truth in this...we happily pay £100s more for a bespoke rod that something like a high end Freespirit or Daiwa in my opinion is now probably a better finish.

Sorry but IMO no rod coming out of a factory is better built than a handmade rod. Custom rods are built by fishing fanatics and every inch of that rod is meticulously crafted and then inspected. No chance that is happening in the factory.

Sorry but IMO no rod coming out of a factory is better built than a handmade rod. Custom rods are built by fishing fanatics and every inch of that rod is meticulously crafted and then inspected. No chance that is happening in the factory.
Where are the differences do you reckon? Don't agree with the better quality rods lack quality control at the factory, its the cornerstone of their reputation after all.

There’s quite afew differences I think. Firstly the knowledge.
Rings and reel seats etc are often just positioned on factory rods to suit a trend and follow what we consumer think a rod should be like. You won’t find a barbel rod now with less than 8 guides and you’ll not find any rod anywhere with sliding band fittings
It’s almost a generic template that is being followed and things like the blanks spine aren’t even thought about on a lot of factory rods.

Then there is the material quality itself. My personal favorite rings are Fuji K series SIC or Alconite. Strong as you like in single leg form and superb anti tangle properties…… a factory rod with these rings is super rare and usually super expensive. Fuji reel seats are pretty common nowadays but not much out there with AAA cork. Free spirit don’t use it that’s for sure.

I mean even something as simple as an anti frap tip ring is like hens teeth on a factory barbel rod.
There’s also thread quality and epoxy quality because they ain’t all the same and you’ll notice after afew years when the clear coat cracks at the corner of the guides and let’s water in which damages the thread.

Lastly the whole point of it which is individuality. I would like a sight tip, I’d like an isotope, my name, wooden forgrip, green thread. Why not have it made how you want it

A factory built Harrison Chimera costs around £260. Dave Lumb will build you one for a similar price. If you specify fewer rings it would probably be cheaper ! Less material cost, less time etc etc.

A while back I thought I’d like some Free Spirit carp rods (one specific Hi-S blank). But the factory builds had horrible rings, dodgy reel seats and a reputation for not being very well built…..so I looked for a used set (Because I’m too tight to buy new!). Eventually I found somebody selling an almost new set built by Mark Tunley to ‘my’ spec. They were a snip at £900 for 3 with a FS marker rod to match thrown in.That’s probably £500 -700 below retail, let alone MT prices. I sold them on a few years later at a considerable profit. Somebody else obviously liked that specification too.

There’s quite afew differences I think. Firstly the knowledge.
Rings and reel seats etc are often just positioned on factory rods to suit a trend and follow what we consumer think a rod should be like. You won’t find a barbel rod now with less than 8 guides and you’ll not find any rod anywhere with sliding band fittings
It’s almost a generic template that is being followed and things like the blanks spine aren’t even thought about on a lot of factory rods.

Then there is the material quality itself. My personal favorite rings are Fuji K series SIC or Alconite. Strong as you like in single leg form and superb anti tangle properties…… a factory rod with these rings is super rare and usually super expensive. Fuji reel seats are pretty common nowadays but not much out there with AAA cork. Free spirit don’t use it that’s for sure.

I mean even something as simple as an anti frap tip ring is like hens teeth on a factory barbel rod.
There’s also thread quality and epoxy quality because they ain’t all the same and you’ll notice after afew years when the clear coat cracks at the corner of the guides and let’s water in which damages the thread.

Lastly the whole point of it which is individuality. I would like a sight tip, I’d like an isotope, my name, wooden forgrip, green thread. Why not have it made how you want it
BLING and you know it. But agreed there has to be some justification 😑 I don't believe for one minute a off the peg Basia or Torrix Harrison, or any Harrison lacks anything in quality build. The latter especially from a man who has dedicated his life to making quality rods. It's like buying a Porche and customising it, some things are best left alone.

BLING and you know it. But agreed there has to be some justification 😑 I don't believe for one minute a off the peg Basia or Torrix Harrison, or any Harrison lacks anything in quality build. The latter especially from a man who has dedicated his life to making quality rods. It's like buying a Porche and customising it, some things are best left alone.
I agree entirely Neil the quality of a Torrix built by Harrison in standard form will absolutely be equal to a torrix built by Roger mcCortney.

The price difference if both built to exactly the same standard will be next to bugger all either so your not really paying over the odds for Roger to build it either (Roger just being an example)
The additional cost only comes in the moment you say I want a gold thread band infront of every ring and I want an alps real seat with rosewood infront of it etc etc etc.
plus you can talk to Roger before the build to ensure your getting the right rod built the right way to suit what you want to do.

A daiwa basia is a beautiful rod. Probably one of the most clever and fantastic blanks I’ve ever laid hands on yet drastically let down with the rings. Imagine a basia ……. Custom built by bob gill with Fuji K series 7 plus tip 25mm set with a sight tip and DPS screw up seat 😉😉😉😉😉 it would be bloody sensational……. Miles better than the factory version 😎

I wouldn't know how the two guides preform tbh, But probably wouldn't effect much anyway as far as handling. Certain members swear by Agate and Chrome guides, at the end of the day a fishing rod is a fishing rod, but if if you have a love affair with them, then what you do in your spare time is your business 😊
Only joking Rich, roll on the 16th
But I will say there is a tendency to mince on here with expensive gear, when perhaps we need to perhaps turn it on its head so those with less deeper pockets can feel included?
Personally I am if an age when I can afford quality, but find it hard to justify the cost, nothing wrong with cheaper quality gear., will still catch.

I wouldn't know how the two guides preform tbh, But probably wouldn't effect much anyway as far as handling. Certain members swear by Agate and Chrome guides, at the end of the day a fishing rod is a fishing rod, but if if you have a love affair with them, then what you do in your spare time is your business 😊
Only joking Rich, roll on the 16th
But I will say there is a tendency to mince on here with expensive gear, when perhaps we need to perhaps turn it on its head so those with less deeper pockets can feel included?
Personally I am if an age when I can afford quality, but find it hard to justify the cost, nothing wrong with cheaper quality gear., will still catch.
I admit it 100%. Full on tackle tart here 🤗 I’m certainly not against cheaper quality gear, I still cannot believe what Korum can bring to the table for just £50. 😳
Cracking rods they bring out for giveaway money.
Okuma is another one. Reels at that quality level for 30-40 quid 😳……. Wouldn’t want anyone not to feel included because of the gear they own.

I admit it 100%. Full on tackle tart here 🤗 I’m certainly not against cheaper quality gear, I still cannot believe what Korum can bring to the table for just £50. 😳
Cracking rods they bring out for giveaway money.
Okuma is another one. Reels at that quality level for 30-40 quid 😳……. Wouldn’t want anyone not to feel included because of the gear they own.
If anyone is grounded its you, but wouldn't want this site to be considered a bit elitist.
But I admit I wouldnt appreciate triple AAA cork or Korum K guides anyway.

See in your previous post you do not mention Harrison :)

Freespirit or Daiwa in my opinion is now probably a better finish.

I believe I did, but having to shell out over £300 for a rod I would want a nice finnish when staring at my identical set up on the pod.☺

Back