• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod Care

Brian Timson

Gents and ladies if they frequent the boards.

The question I have is surrounding rod care namely my waggler rod. In order to keep the line below the surface of the water on lakes and ponds etc I keep the end of my rod slightly under the water. This has now faded the top section of my waggler rod.

1. Can this be restored easily, looks unsightly but works fine. I have tried a normal polish but looks like the laquer has gone (makes you wonder whats in the water too)

2. This question is all the more relevant because I am considering treating myself to a top of the range float rod (softening ths shock of forthcoming redundancy :( )and I dont want this to happen to the new one. Apart from obviously not sticking the rod below the water what rod care do you suggest to avoid this happening to the new aquisition.

3. Hardy marksman or Daiwa Tournament pro 13ft/15ft any suggestions??

Brian,

Long-shot this one but worth a go. Try burnishing the section up with a bit of T-cut or Brasso. It works on table tops that have been heat or water marked and will probably improve the finish, if not completely remedy it.

Are you absolutely sure that the varnish has gone? I know that most of my waggler rods have displayed similar symptoms, particularly when I've fished stillwaters with algae problems. The repeated dipping and drying leaves a very thin matt layer on them that bakes like concrete in the sun. It takes a hell of an effort to get off but once there the varnish is still intact. The snag is that if you use something abrasive the varnish itself turn matt with tiny scratches.

Chris
Your probably right could be baked on algae....... Solutions risk removing the varnish but as its not the best rod in the world I may give it a go and let you know. Epic FAIL on the way lol

Brian

Brasso will not remove the varnish if you go gently with it, but it will cut back a very thin layer off the top and expose the cleaner stuff underneath, which is pretty much want you need to do. It won't leave any scratches either, and I know this as I have used it on table tops before when I have run out of burnishing cream at work. I always use it, or something similar on cane rods that I have re-finished as it brings the finish up just right.

Back