• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod Refurbishment Advice Needed

Andrew Boyne

I have a couple of old Northwestern rods which i've decided to re-build. The old guides and varnish have been removed - question is what to do next.

Do i varnish the whole blank, then wrap the new guides on and seal them with epoxy or do i wrap the new guides on then varnish the blanks and guide wraps at the same time?

Is there any sites out there with a reference for the weights of individual or sets of rings? I've been looking at fuji's, Alps Sic Lites and Free Spirit S-Lites - is there much difference in weights?

Hi Andrew, I did a pair of my rods this year using the K series fuji Guides, KTSG and KLSG, I did a fair bit of comparing prices especially from guides and blanks, but they didnt have them in stock so I did an internt search and found this site in the states;
KLSG - Guides Fuji Silicon Carbide 'SIC' - Get Bit
I found them a good deal cheaper than the UK saving about £60, the postage is about $20 but you get the rings in less than a week from ordering, They have an excellent customer service and advice can be sought via emails, but to be honest I didnt bother as I knew exactly what I wanted.
I bought one of these too to help with the rod turning when applying/drying the epoxy.
STONEFLY ( SF46 ) ROTARY FLY DRYER/ROD TURNER | eBay

I must admit I am quite proud of the rods I have refurbed especially as I did all the work myself.

Jon

I'd varnish the blank before wrapping the new guides - but do all your spacing etc before varnishing.
Yes, there is a difference in ring set weights - I've weighed various types/makes. Unless you are planning something 'different' then on a barbel rod the significance of weight may not affect things too much.
Flexing of various makes can be different and so called sics may not be true silicon carbide lined rings. Bear in mind that some so called sics are not that much more expensive than some ceramic aluminium oxide rings, whereas true silicon carbides are much more expensive.
Due to problems experienced in the past, I prefer not to use 'cheap' so called sics. Having a centre fall out is not a good thing when the rod has been built.
I'm a fan of Fujis. BSVOG's are good rings. If I want to go that bit better then alconites are what I'd go for BMNAG or the newer K series BKWAG. These have black frames but bright ones are available.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Thanks chaps.

Bob - re the varnishing - that's just what i needed to know to get me on my way - been looking all over the websites for the best way to do it on an old rod - i'll take your word for it! :)

I'd pretty much decided on the Fuji BSVAG Alconites - would you say the BMNAG was a better option on a Barbel rod Bob? The K series are tempting.

Very pleased with the way things are going so far, the old yellow varnish peeled off fairly easily although time consuming - the original graphics have remained intact on the rod and look as bright as new.

You'll probably find most rod building tips on these pages (including one way to varnish a blank):
Rod Building Tips

I like the the BMNAG as they have a 'rolled' frame, are lower profile and have less tendency to tangle than the BSVAG. The BSVAG are very similar in appearance to the BSVOG.
Not a huge difference in prices between the BSVAG, BMNAG and BKWAG.
On my personal rods I use the BMNAG and BKWAG.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Got too many as it is mate! Just a little project to keep me busy - hoping it doesn't turn out as expensive as your float making venture. :p

Back