• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Baitrunners...

I bought the Shimano X-Aero 4000FA after a discussion with a Shimano rep he reassured me due to the spool size and over all design it was more than a match for any 5000 size reel they made. He was wrong ��
I've bought Fox Eos 7000 reels in the end cheap and the right size hopefully Fox have sorted their gearing issues of the past because there perfect for my kind of fishing.

Why Clive? I've gone from the 5000 to the X aero's and so far so good, admittedly I would have purchased new 5000 but went for the 4000 rather than the 6000 which I found too big. PS I fish the Trent Ribble and Swale :)

The Shimano DL4000RA is a great reel, a real little powerhouse with a really smooth clutch. Also, I think, a very reasonable price.

Sorted lads i got a 5000XTEA well pleased will give it a run out on Sunday....

Good choice with the XTEA John, best rear drag Shimano's made IMHO.I think it's a matter of horses for courses, as all the reel sizes mentioned are perfect for the right river and situation. My 6000D's are great on the Thames/Wye where their cranking power with big feeders comes into their own, whereas my 4000/5000's are more than at home on the Kennet/Wandle. Shimano have certainly missed a trick in withdrawing the 5000XTEA or whatever its replacement was going to be. Certainly amongst the barbel fraternity, that's for sure.

I found fishing decent sized feeders on bigger rivers that the cranking ability felt compromised. I like a reel for all occasions and because I felt it struggled reeling in feeders it didn't quite feel tight and robust to me. I know I could get 2 sets but that 5000 size is perfect for me.

Yes it does seem very smooth all round hope to test it tomorrow..It seems shimano have done away with the 5000 size Ray...

I found fishing decent sized feeders on bigger rivers that the cranking ability felt compromised. I like a reel for all occasions and because I felt it struggled reeling in feeders it didn't quite feel tight and robust to me. I know I could get 2 sets but that 5000 size is perfect for me.

Cheers Clive and if Shimano had have not withdrawn the 5000 that's what I would have bought. I didn't want to go down the second hand road again hence the purchase of the 4000's. Time will tell mate tight lines :)

I may have been lucky the reel hasn't a mark on it and is very smooth all round, keeping my fingers crossed:D

Is it just me I didn't like the 5000xtea and stupidly sold a mint used once one in box for £50 a couple of years ago before I realised what it was worth (and then the chap tried to knock me down). It was to heavy for me just felt like it unbalanced my rod. Was super smooth though.

My preference is for a front clutch, but when the 5000 XTEA was a current reel it ticked most of the boxes. The Penn Slammer was a great alternative whilst it was available, it's only down side being the inability to backwind.

Yes Ben someone got a bargain there me old Matey, You should have known it was worth more than £50 buy the price you paid and the going rate at the time, but hey we live and learn..

Is it just me I didn't like the 5000xtea and stupidly sold a mint used once one in box for £50 a couple of years ago before I realised what it was worth (and then the chap tried to knock me down). It was to heavy for me just felt like it unbalanced my rod. Was super smooth though.

I understand where you're coming from regarding the weight of a reel Ben. Everyone to their own of course and different venues can require a different piece of kit. The discontinued 5000s were slightly bigger than the 5010s but I would have made the jump if they had still been available.
I seem to have a collection of redundant reels dating back to the 70s and they've all got progressively bigger.
The Mitchell 300 was replaced by the 300S, and was in turn replaced by the Shimano 5010 which seemed pretty big by comparison. I use to double up with reels by which I mean use the same reel for barbeling and chub outings ,but found the 5010 too heavy and brought a little Shimy Exage 3000SFB for the chub,... seemed strange not having the baitrunner facility though, .. It's just what you get used to I guess. For barbel ,I love the 5010 which suits the rivers I fish and I suspect that I will end up sticking with what I've got and just get them reconditioned sometime. As for the Shim 6000s (page 1) I'll use them for piking.

Must be about £325....

Back