• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano help please?

Hi

I was given a Shimano 5000xtea baitrunner for Xmas and when the baitrunner's on the line comes off silently. Surely the spool should click like a ratchet right? Is it faulty or am I missing something?

Ali

Can't say that any of the baitrunners I've owned (5010GTs, GTECs, 4000Ds and XTFAs) have been particularly loud. The front drag versions aren't quite as quiet as the rear drag versions.

The older 5000gte aero's I use make a quiet "ratchety" sound on baitrunner duty. The only time I've noticed they don't is when I haven't seated the spool properly. Maybe try that?

Yep, i agree with Simon, i have found that if the spools are not seated properly then they do not tend to click.

Hello Ali,I've had that happen on a 5000 too mate,it's faulty I'm afraid,take it back and I'm sure they exchange now problem..hope your catching a few too mate..
All the best
Hopefully catch up soon

Luke

Well, it's quieter than quiet, it's silent! The spool's definitely seated properly so it looks like it may be faulty like yours was Luke.

Thanks for the help all

Ali

My 5000 went back last weekend - exactly the same problem!!!

I had the same problem of a 'silent' free spool with the baitrunner engaged. It wasn't on a Shimano reel tho.

I took the reel apart to find the small spring steel (click pawl) broken inside. This simply 'rides' on one of the gear cogs and gives you the clicking spool in free run mode.

The reel was out of warranty, so, rather than ordering a new part and possibly waiting months for it to arrive, I fashioned one myself. Worked fine ever since.

It should be an easy repair for Shimano to do!

Daz.

Back