• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano reel

Brian Timson

Has anyone seen the new Shimano Aero X 4000 FA reel? Pictures seem to indicate a very nice reel aesthetically and proclaimed performance improvements RRP £199 around £149 if you shop.

I may just have to have one :D

Brian

Very nice. But i think my wife would divorce me if i spent that kind of money. I am going for it's cheaper brother the DL 4000 FA, which are £70 if you shop around.

Dave

The advantage with the Aero X is that it has a larger spool diameter allowing for better casting and retrieval whilst retaining a small light body. It comes with spool reducers so that you don't have to load with more line than is necessary. The DL4000FA is fine on small rivers though, horses for courses I suppose.

The advantage with the Aero X is that it has a larger spool diameter allowing for better casting and retrieval whilst retaining a small light body. It comes with spool reducers so that you don't have to load with more line than is necessary. The DL4000FA is fine on small rivers though, horses for courses I suppose.

The slight worry I might have is the small body vs the large spool, I wonder if the cranking power of the small gearing would be up to a large river flood. Certainly the Penn's seem to have the much coveted super smooth strong clutch and tough gearing. but half the price. The new Shimano looks a bit like a big pit reel, but of course having the Shimano Badge it's probably gonna be a winner.

I note that it was launched on March 14th, so we will have to wait three months for a 'proper' field test.

Neil,

No need to wait 3 months for a review as I believe Bob James has already given it a work out on the Wye,

Steve

Neil,
I totally agree regarding cranking power, if it has the same gearing as the DL it would be a struggle. I think possibly Shimano realised they'd missed a trick by discontinuing the 5000 size and maybe are trying to redress the situation, but for heavy feeder situations requiring good cranking ability I'd still go for the 6000D/OC or a Penn.

Neil,
I totally agree regarding cranking power, if it has the same gearing as the DL it would be a struggle. I think possibly Shimano realised they'd missed a trick by discontinuing the 5000 size and maybe are trying to redress the situation, but for heavy feeder situations requiring good cranking ability I'd still go for the 6000D/OC or a Penn.

I use the older 6010's Peter, and the 5010's the 6010's are awesome reels for flood fishing, sure a bit big and heavy but for me that's not a problem. I bought the Penn for flood fishing, but it's a bit bright :cool: and doesn't have the back windy thingamajig :p

looks like it has a very nice bail arm ;)

Back