• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stacklands BAA River Wye

I would say the majority of Barbel anglers night fish on the BAA, the times I have been packing up at dusk and the night shift appear is countless. :rolleyes:

I would of course would never condone such behaviour :p

I would suggest that if many are breaking the rules then maybe the rules need adjusting or be enforced. Personally I would feel very uncomfortable with breaking them.

If they were enforced the outcome could possibly lead to change.

as Neal says there is defo a night shift, but i have see a lot more bailiffs around and even the police and EA 1 night just as i had packed up. Operation Leviathan. It seems to be more an issue with the land owners as i believe its more about conditions of the lease rather than BAA being awkward. Of course maybe they havent tried very hard to get night fishing allowed.

I would suggest that if many are breaking the rules then maybe the rules need adjusting or be enforced. Personally I would feel very uncomfortable with breaking them.

If they were enforced the outcome could possibly lead to change.

Personally I don't fish into dark, just an hour or so after sunset, as allowed. Well in truth there have been a couple of occasions, but never to midnight etc even mid summer. Besides I find that bites dry up at night, although I am aware there is a feeding spell on the Severn especially. If I need a night fix I can, legally below Worcester, but I must admit I prefer some human company.

It appears the BAA have had a change of heart . I have cut and pasted a post from facebook ... The River Wye fishing group ... One of the bailiffs who bailiff Stacklands ? has stated ( See below ) . Reading it comes across as a bit ambiguous ?

I've got an update on this. If you have a look at the notification on the BAA website the wording has been changed. The permit at the moment is still required, but I and the other bailiffs WILL NOT be asking anyone to leave the fishery if they don't have a permit or if there are more than ten people on the fishery. Can I please ask, beg even, PLEASE dont drive anywhere on the field other than the track to the car park, and PLEASE dont park anywhere other that the designated parking area. Cheers all.
Like · Reply · 1 · 9 June at 22:36

as Neal says there is defo a night shift, but i have see a lot more bailiffs around and even the police and EA 1 night just as i had packed up. Operation Leviathan. It seems to be more an issue with the land owners as i believe its more about conditions of the lease rather than BAA being awkward. Of course maybe they havent tried very hard to get night fishing allowed.

BAA own much of the land they control so issues with landowners are not the problem in those cases. I am not usually comfortable fishing when or where I shouldn't, it hinders concentration. But if the BAA bailiffs themselves are ignoring the night fishing rules then fill your boots!:)

BAA own much of the land they control so issues with landowners are not the problem in those cases. I am not usually comfortable fishing when or where I shouldn't, it hinders concentration. But if the BAA bailiffs themselves are ignoring the night fishing rules then fill your boots!:)

Hi Alex , I'm very interested to hear you come across a bailiff nt fishing I would be grateful if you would pm me where this incident happened, has he has breached club rules and that's a no go mate . As for us owning all our waters that's not correct we lease a large amount of waters, as I deal with the land owners keeping them happy , I know for a fact the landowners don't want nt fishing on there waters becouse of the trouble it brings !!! .

Hi Alex , I'm very interested to hear you come across a bailiff nt fishing I would be grateful if you would pm me where this incident happened, has he has breached club rules and that's a no go mate . As for us owning all our waters that's not correct we lease a large amount of waters, as I deal with the land owners keeping them happy , I know for a fact the landowners don't want nt fishing on there waters becouse of the trouble it brings !!! .

I fished Stacklands a few times last summer and fished until dusk ? BAA rules state that you are allowed to fish 1 hour after sunset ? I know on a couple of occasions when I was there the farmer / land owner was not very happy that anglers were still there fishing up to 1 hour after sunset ? . I assume that he was made aware by the BAA that anglers were allowed to fish 1 hour after sunset ?

If land owners don't want night fishing on there waters because of the trouble it brings ? Then why is it ok as a BAA member you can purchase a night permit for some stretch's of river and not others ?

It did used to say on the BAA club card that every person who's a member has the right to check the cards of other anglers fishing club lands. I know some don't want the hassle or confrontation that may go along with this, but if you're passionate about the area's you fish surely you will do a spot of self bailiffing then this will help the club out.
Either that or you could just complain on the Web.

Goes without saying if you are a member you can check others, I have done in the past, but in this case Stacklands is well policed by BAA Bailiffs, twice a day is the norm. The farmer is very touchy regarding access, sure he owns the access but not the rights to fish which his father sold off a few years back. He dislikes any intrusion, so as a club we have to be aware of this, but there are limits as to how far. The main thing we can do as a club is KEEP OFF THE FIELD, this is imperative. The other is get off at sunset... he does patrol the area to make sure of this :rolleyes:

Last Autumn he locked the gate without telling BAA because his track was wet/ muddy, which proves he will act!! It might be illegal but it is his way of dealing with things. It must be a headache for BAA, and I think the club have been very good in appeasing him.

It is important when a club buys fishing rights it also secures legal right of access. There is a stretch on the Swale where the fishing rights were sold but the farmer would not allow access across his land to the neighbouring caravan site that bought the fishing rights. As far as I am aware the argument is still unresolved.
It is important to keep the landowner happy as one club lost their rights to a very good barbel stretch on the Tees due to people night fishing contrary to the rules. The landowner now refuses to discuss fishing access with any club.

I fished Stacklands a few times last summer and fished until dusk ? BAA rules state that you are allowed to fish 1 hour after sunset ? I know on a couple of occasions when I was there the farmer / land owner was not very happy that anglers were still there fishing up to 1 hour after sunset ? . I assume that he was made aware by the BAA that anglers were allowed to fish 1 hour after sunset ?

If land owners don't want night fishing on there waters because of the trouble it brings ? Then why is it ok as a BAA member you can purchase a night permit for some stretch's of river and not others ?

Just a Guess, but maybe the stretches you can purchase a night permit for, the land owners are happy for night fishing to take place, and the other stretches they are not.

I for one think that this is a good idea. There are too many BAA stretches that are not looked after. I know a lot of the bankside rubbish is mostly put on the bank by flooding , but the amount fresh rubbish that I have found is disgusting. Mostly beer cans, spam cans. The energy taken to haul them down to the swim is much reduced when these vessels are empty. Lazy lazy bar stewards springs to mind!!!

Paul, I never said BAA own all their waters, I said a night fishing ban on waters they own is nothing to do with landowners not allowing it. The incident in question happened on land owned by BAA, it was seven years ago and beyond that I'm not prepared to comment, except to say it was somewhere within 50 miles of Worcester :)

Alex cant the landowner specify in the lease that the fishing is subject to for example no night fishing, or are the rights the rights full stop.?

Alex cant the landowner specify in the lease that the fishing is subject to for example no night fishing, or are the rights the rights full stop.?

Yes I think the landowner can impose what conditions they like, it's their land. What I don't get is why BAA impose night bans on land they own, other than they don't like it themselves. As has been pointed out, they would make a fair bit more revenue from barbel anglers if this option was there. I heed the comments about possible trouble but when was the last time anyone heard of major disturbances caused by night anglers? But just reading the blog put up by Lee you can see there is little appetite for flexibility in this matter from the committee.

Hi chaps ,the stacklands permit scheme as been suspended till the end of the season, so no need to ring up to book ,from what I believe it will be assessed nxt year if to bring into affect again .

Yes I think the landowner can impose what conditions they like, it's their land. What I don't get is why BAA impose night bans on land they own, other than they don't like it themselves. As has been pointed out, they would make a fair bit more revenue from barbel anglers if this option was there. I heed the comments about possible trouble but when was the last time anyone heard of major disturbances caused by night anglers? But just reading the blog put up by Lee you can see there is little appetite for flexibility in this matter from the committee.

I don't think its a matter of bone-fide members of BAA causing trouble whilst night fishing. I believe its a matter of :
1/. bailiffing at night.. bailiffs, especially at night, need to patrol in pairs..for obvious safety reasons. But finding 2 volunteer bailiffs to patrol all BAA waters where night fishing is allowed would be nigh-on impossible (as presently only 1in every 110 members volunteer for bailiffing duties). BAA has 200 miles of water, and if more members volunteered then there'd be better coverage. From this, if there was a mass influx of members that decided that volunteering was more effective than constant moaning, then more night fishing would surely be available.
2/. Where there is a total ban on night fishing the land owner can more easily be made aware of poachers. To have everyone off their land at night-fall is in the land owner's interest. And if land owners can sell their riparian rights with the 'no night fishing' proviso, they will. Simples.
3/. Yes maybe there is some intransigence, but 200 miles of water for £40 a year!....50p per mile! It aint a bad deal is it.

Volunteer...then progress might be possible. IMHO.

Back