• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The 20th Anniversary Barbel Show: 7th June 2015

Howard Cooke

The Barbel Society's 2015 show is a 20th anniversary special and takes place on Sunday 7th June at Chesford Grange Hotel, Kenilworth, Warwickshire.

Full details of the event here:

The Barbel Society – Barbel Show

Great speakers, a large trade room to really indulge in that close season hobby of acquiring absolutely vital, can't live without tackle and bait (typically available at a discount) and an opportunity to bring second hand tackle to sell on the day.

There will also be some important announcements made covering proposed changes to the Society as part of a detailed "2020 Vision" initiative. Which means that yours truly is highly likely to be up on stage. :eek:

Hope to see many of you there and don't even think about bringing bags of half eaten, three month old vegetables and fruit. It will be confiscated by burley and overly familiar security guards at the door. But I will also be wearing a large kagool as a precautionary measure.

The Barbel Society's 2015 show is a 20th anniversary special and takes place on Sunday 7th June at Chesford Grange Hotel, Kenilworth, Warwickshire.

There will also be some important announcements made covering proposed changes to the Society as part of a detailed "2020 Vision" initiative.

I won't be going, so can you tell me now so I know whether its worth me re-joining.

Hi Howard

I'm interested in the important announcements that are going to be made covering proposed changes to the Society that you mention in your post. Why wait until the show, why can't current members like me be told now ?

Cheers Tony

Hi Tony,

This is an important project and as such requires careful thought and consideration. We won't have all the detail worked through by the time of the Show but we should be in reasonably confident position to be able to outline, directionally, the key areas of proposed change. I think the Show is an ideal opportunity to share with attendees our current thinking and then respond to any immediate questions that people have given we will have pretty much the entire committee in circulation.

There will naturally be more formal communications made to members once all matters have been confirmed plus an opportunity for members to share their thoughts and concerns. Any proposals can then be flexed as necessary.

Howard

Howard

I'm an ordinary guy who speaks in laymen's terms, what's the project your talking about ?

Cheers Tony

2020 blue sky thinking out the box sort of thing then? And some think it's just fishing.

It's clear sky thinking now Neil but only when in the right moon phase. It's also throwing ideas against a wall or on the water and seeing what sticks/floats. It was because of such an approach that the first device was invented for trotting a bait. Those that used to think outside the box just confused themselves so much that they needed to climb back into the box where they have remained ever since.

As soon as anything becomes "organised" it generally seems to become so much more than the actual thing (in this case, fishing) for which it was determined by a group of people that some sort of organisation was required in order to organise events and generally keep all matters pertaining to the actual thing (in this case, fishing) neatly organised.

I need to lie down now.

It's clear sky thinking now Neil but only when in the right moon phase. It's also throwing ideas against a wall or on the water and seeing what sticks/floats. It was because of such an approach that the first device was invented for trotting a bait. Those that used to think outside the box just confused themselves so much that they needed to climb back into the box where they have remained ever since.

As soon as anything becomes "organised" it generally seems to become so much more than the actual thing (in this case, fishing) for which it was determined by a group of people that some sort of organisation was required in order to organise events and generally keep all matters pertaining to the actual thing (in this case, fishing) neatly organised.

I need to lie down now.

Ahh well what ever happens Howard I am sure you will be a hit on stage, I would possibly pay to hear one or two of your anecdotes, especially the 'poaching' on the Kennet, the line 'note to self on the depth' when the guy actually walked through your swim still gives me a chuckle.:D

Ahh well what ever happens Howard I am sure you will be a hit on stage, I would possibly pay to hear one or two of your anecdotes, especially the 'poaching' on the Kennet, the line 'note to self on the depth' when the guy actually walked through your swim still gives me a chuckle.:D

I doubt I will see those poachers again Neil, not once they've seen me and my fishing mates undergoing some intensive close season martial arts training.

http://youtu.be/dHUwtKBcS7E

I think Tony makes a fair point in his question. There will be society members that are not able to go to the show for whatever reason. I think it only fair and appropriate that the outlines of the announcements of the 20/20 vision (and he's me thinking that was already run like that :) ) should be made available on the forum and here, even if it is posted on the same day.
As Tony rightly says for many the direction of the society will govern what people will do in terms of membership,even if they haven't already made a call based on the promises made regarding the decline of Barbel on many rivers.

Simple suggestion..... Ignored again.
I hope the 20/20 Vision includes taking members suggestions seriously and at least acknowledge they have been made in the first place. Dead simple stuff really and the sort of thing that only makes the criticism levelled at the society even firmer.
I sincerely hope it changes.

Simple suggestion..... Ignored again.
I hope the 20/20 Vision includes taking members suggestions seriously and at least acknowledge they have been made in the first place. Dead simple stuff really and the sort of thing that only makes the criticism levelled at the society even firmer.
I sincerely hope it changes.

Hi Rich-see my post on 7 April (the first one) which I think deals with your observations.

Hi Rich-see my post on 7 April (the first one) which I think deals with your observations.
Hi Howard..... Not in the slightest. Your post talks of more formal communications but that will be after the announcement at the show. My point is that the detail used at the show should also be made available to members somewhere for those that are not able to go.

Hi Howard..... Not in the slightest. Your post talks of more formal communications but that will be after the announcement at the show. My point is that the detail used at the show should also be made available to members somewhere for those that are not able to go.

Rich- as I have mentioned in previous posts, there is still a great deal of detail to work through and nothing has been formally decided or adopted and nor would it without members being directly notified of proposed changes. That said, it is considered that by the time of the show we should at least be able to share ideas about the directional (high level) proposals and in return, hear the views and thoughts of those members attending. It will represent a quick temperature test. I think that's a perfectly sensible approach because the show is the one time in the year where members can convene in person. As I am sure you will agree, face to face discussions on any matter are generally far more productive and engaging than digital ones played out on social media.

The initiative is termed "2020 Vision" because it's a long term project which recognises the need for consultation.

I'm going to leave it there Rich as the intention here was simply to announce the event itself but I would be more than happy to pick this topic up again in person at the show if you are attending.

Back