• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Angling Trust are you a member?

Me 3rd

Maybe you should drop your RSPB membership then - one less voice to fight with!

Although I don't agree with RSPB's stance on Cormorants and Goosanders, I do support the vast majority of the work that they do, as without them our bird life wouldn't be what it is today.

A bit like the Angling Trust, one or two things that I don't agree with, but I chose to support then for...............

Tony Rocca said,

"Let me be the first to say nope then."

Good man Tony.

I am not a member. Never have been and never will be under its present structure/leadership/administration.

I was a founding member of the SAA though and life member of the ACA. Sad day when they both got hi jacked to disappear inside the ivory towers of the AT.

I put my money, time and effort into local conservation efforts that improve angling and the angling and wildlife environments.

United we stand - divided we fall as they say .
No doubt they have faults - but for £25 a year - can't justify not giving them a chance .
Sad that peeps can blow that one one fishing trip - and them fail to join the only chance we have of a national voice .

Should have added that Dave Gauntlett kinda summed it up - if you don't agree with them - join and tell them .
Strength in numbers and we are **** at it let's be honest .

Tony Rocca said,

"Let me be the first to say nope then."

Good man Tony.

I am not a member. Never have been and never will be under its present structure/leadership/administration.

I was a founding member of the SAA though and life member of the ACA. Sad day when they both got hi jacked to disappear inside the ivory towers of the AT.

I put my money, time and effort into local conservation efforts that improve angling and the angling and wildlife environments.

Lee,

Ditto to all the above............................

I've still yet to read a reasoned argument from the non members as to why they won't join the Trust. I appreciate people have different circumstances and financial priorities may lie elsewhere, but what are the long term costs of NOT being a member of the trust? Just a thought..

Darren

I've still yet to read a reasoned argument from the non members as to why they won't join the Trust. I appreciate people have different circumstances and financial priorities may lie elsewhere, but what are the long term costs of NOT being a member of the trust? Just a thought..

Darren

I don't mean to be disrespectful Darren but reasons given by none members for not joining are important to them although they may not be to others, its the same with all opinions.

I was a member of the old ACA and I did join the trust for a year but at the moment I wont rejoin because of several reasons which as I said in my first post I wont go into because it only causes arguments.

Until the Trust finds out why anglers are not joining in the droves they first expected and takes action they will never have the number of members they need, if anglers are not coming to them they should be going out and getting them.

I have re-joined like I said before and yes there is a couple of things which the Angling Trust could have handle a little bit better and have spoken to them BUT WHO ELSE IS THERE ? Angling is way way behind other groups

Yes. I'm quite heartened to see that most posting are saying they are members too. With membership now available monthly, it should make it easier for those on a tight monthly budget.

Simple solution: slap a fiver on the EA licence which goes directly to the AT. That way everyone has a stake and the minority aren't paying for the majority.

I am not a member and dont plan to join,
I also have my reasons that are important to me, one of the more recent ones being their chosen sponsors for their 'flagship' Riverfest matches.
Neil

Simple solution: slap a fiver on the EA licence which goes directly to the AT. That way everyone has a stake and the minority aren't paying for the majority.

As I am not forced to join the Angling Trust ( the way I am to pay tax) why should I be forced to pay to an institution I have no wish to be part of ?

I know we are all different entitled to our own views etc, but I just cant understand at all how the sponsorship money from Thames water was approved and who approved it.

I am trying to picture the planning meeting at the Trust where they thought it was a good idea to use Thames water as a sponsor and the subsequent discussions around Public relations, anglers views, fish legal's views and the possible compromises/ complications in the future with Thames water.

Two clubs I am a member of belong to the Trust, so i am paying indirectly anyway.
Neil

I know we are all different entitled to our own views etc, but I just cant understand at all how the sponsorship money from Thames water was approved and who approved it.

I am trying to picture the planning meeting at the Trust where they thought it was a good idea to use Thames water as a sponsor and the subsequent discussions around Public relations, anglers views, fish legal's views and the possible compromises/ complications in the future with Thames water.

Two clubs I am a member of belong to the Trust, so i am paying indirectly anyway.
Neil

I wonder why they have to accept a sponsor that perhaps compromises their core values. Could it be lack of funds.....

Dave

Graham, I take your point about compulsory membership.

The problem for angling, which used to claim to be (still is?) the biggest mass-participation sport in the country, is the lack of an association or affiliation in numbers which in any way reflects this. We are divided....and subsequently ruled.

Graham, I take your point about compulsory membership.

The problem for angling, which used to claim to be (still is?) the biggest mass-participation sport in the country, is the lack of an association or affiliation in numbers which in any way reflects this. We are divided....and subsequently ruled.

Yes I agree Anthony, we are a long way off where we should be with representation but I believe that lies at the feet of the Angling Trust, they were wildly optimistic about numbers joining at the start and seem to have settled into acceptance of where they are now,

Anglers are not joining in the numbers they should be and just saying they are all we have got doesn't really cut it.they must go out and grab members be that through advertising or whatever, when was the last time you saw a poster for them in a tackle shop? how many tackle manufacturers are members?

Without some changes and thought about low numbers is applied I fear for the future of the Angling Trust because believe it or not I would like to see them with a much more powerful voice but at the moment I cant join again as there are to many things I disagree with.

As much as there are things I don't like within the A/Ts there are some good points, fish legal for one, the insurance offered to clubs/syndicates is another
possibly getting something done about cormorants (but that is yet to be tested) canoes and probably other things including hydro so its not all bad but for me at the moment the bad outweighs the good but who knows what the future will bring.

Back