• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Barbel Society Barbel Challenge In Aid of The Army Benevolent Fund

That was very well said Shaun. I support two charities The Salvation Army and Water Aid, and I do not respond to hard sells like we have seen on here or people who rattle collection tins at you on the high street. It is not possible to help every charity out so each to their own.

Chill Bill . Your fellow anglers may donate to other charities , they may , god forbid, not even think this charity is for them . Jerry and his pals have made a sterling effort , leave it at that , you don't really think that shouting and pointing at folks is going to make them cough up do you ? :(

Spot on.

I generally tend not to give to human charities, at 6 billion and counting I don't really think we need anymore help! In contrast about 17 thousand species are classified as in danger of extinction, so what little I can give goes to them. I don't expect anyone to agree with this and I certainly wouldn't try and guilt trip anyone into doing so.

No I don't hug trees:D

Hi men,

I donated through just giving on Facebook , but also support Banardos directly from my wages ( British charity ) , and through my company that is used on a range of good causes . I agree , hard sell may put people off , as it looks in this case .

Hatter

Sorry chaps, I too support other charities and am the first to ignore others....what I can't get my mind round is the number of hits on this thread and the poor response. People are obviously interested in the project but not enough to make a small gesture. I feel very strongly about what our services are asked to do in our name and would love to see more than 86 donations out of 11,000 + views...I tried the soft approach on more than one occassion and achieved nothing at least this approach has woken you up....As I said sorry if you are offended but "if the cap fits".........I'll end it there for all our sakes.

Last edited:
You have to remember Bill, that many will have donated via other sites, like the BS and Facebook, but still look on here.
Also, its been on here for 5 months, so its always going to receive a lot of views, many of which will be the same person looking in a multitude of times.

Steve

Fair doos Bill, it's good that you're very passionate about something, guess that passion can spill over at times!

Bill, your heart is obviously in the right place, and obviously you mean well....but as Steve said, the list of contributors you are referring to is a long, long way from being a full list of all the people and moneys donated. It also can't list the other types of assistance the lads got to help them in their brilliant effort to raise money for this worthy charity.

A lot of the viewing count will be people who have done their bit and are just checking to see if the lads finally made the aimed for £2000. As Steve said, they may well click on the page multiple times to check on that....I know I do. Take it easy Bill....but good on yer for caring enough to get worked up about things.

I am sure there are still promised amounts from people on holiday etc. to come, so I don't think it's done yet mate.

Regards, Dave.

Hi
Just got back, no double for me. Lost a good Barbel to a snag, which I hate. Was using a very small running lead so the fish should be okay. Hi spot of the day was taking a pic of a young lad and the 5lb Barbel he had caught. His smile was so wide I thought the top of his head would fall off.

Good luck to all of you in the charity stuff you do, and Bill the passion is clearly very strong in you, fair play to you.

Cold beer and a shower.

Shaun, who smells awful according to his Daughter.

Oh dear....Shaun of the bait pong :D My women folk mutter some quite hurtful sarcasms at times, if they are at home when I get back from a session. Trouble is, a wife, daughter, and two granddaughters makes it a tad one sided. Just can't see their problem...I think I smell is rather attractive at such times :p

Come to think of it...I wonder if there are a preponderance of female fish on my stretch. Could explain a lot :D

Keep smiling chaps....it's only fishing :p

Cheers, Dave.

The 15 doubles

Ribble Double

Goyt double

Dove double

Derwent doubles

Trent Doubles

Soar Doubles

kennet doubles

Arun double

Royalty double

Brilliant, thanks for posting Jerry I've been looking forward to seeing the results.
How's the cash stacking up? :)

Bill
Just short of £1800 on just giving, ive a £100 cheque at home off Petworth and Bognor angling club and theres still about £4-500 to collect in.

Not bad in all mate should have the final figure in a few weeks :)

Jez

Well dont to the team Jerry

Superb photos

Try catching the people that still owe you cash :D Now thats a challenge :)

Just to let you all know the just giving page will close in 2 weeks, we are currently upto £1910 on the page, i have £390 here in cheques and there is still half a dozen people left to pay so we will have raised in excess of £2500.

Many thanks to everyone who helped us raise a fantastic amount of money for a great cause it was really appreciated.

Also many thanks to all those that helped us with fisheries :)

All the best

Jerry

Many congratulations to you and the team Jerry, let's hope the late payers cough up soon and let you balance the books......well done

Back