• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The influx of cold water and its effect on barbel

Paul Cahill

I've never been able to draw definitive conclusions on the effect of an influx of cold water on feeding in a warm, low river. As we have had exactly these conditions over the last few days, I'm keen to know what others think.

My instincts are that the fish will go off the feed for a week or so before feeding as the temperatures rise.

Is anyone catching? Anyone got any thoughts?

Is the current forecast rain likely to be that cold? My feeling is that it will prompt a long awaited feeding spell after a good freshen up, unless the rain is followed by a hard frost of course.

i think they will feed although i had a double last week that looked like it had eaten a couple of kilos of pellets, great fat thing it was, surprised it had room to eat my boilie :)

Is the current forecast rain likely to be that cold? My feeling is that it will prompt a long awaited feeding spell after a good freshen up, unless the rain is followed by a hard frost of course.

Temps went down 10 degrees this weekend in the north. Some light frosts too

It's been noticeable that the carp and goldfish in my pond have gone bang off the feed since the weather changed at weekend, too.

cold water

they need time to adjust to the water temp,which has dropped 9 degrees in less than a week on the river we fish.

i fished the dove tuesday and never had a knock apart from all the **** that was being washed down.

I went for a couple hours on middle severn today and I had 3 barbel and an eel. Biggest 9lb 14. Was quite pleased as Iv struggled of late

Temperatures appear to be nudging up over the next few days which I'd say make things just about right on the rivers which have been flushed through

Back