• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The perfect canine companion - which dog?

It's a great thread this and not having a dog I feel I am missing out. I only have cats, and this, our Bengal, has been a major disappointment as a fierce, not scared of anything, kick arse companion. This picture was taken just as a fly entered the room.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 286
It's a great thread this and not having a dog I feel I am missing out. I only have cats, and this, our Bengal, has been a major disappointment as a fierce, not scared of anything, kick arse companion. This picture was taken just as a fly entered the room.

Brilliant Howard ... my mate has two Bengals and ill tell you one thing ,there's no fly's on them ,they even have a room of their own built out like an adventure play ground :rolleyes:.
a little to energetic but great to watch .

Seem to remember bob james having a stunning looking pair of dogs in a passion for angling,anyone know what they were ?

Flat Coated Retrievers if memory serves me Brian...

Sorry Hugo, have just noted your earlier input

Last edited:
here my fishing(and life) companion,as you can see he was desperate to get into the photo I took for Rod,a Twyford and District regular.during the day hes great just mouches around occasionally digging for mice and staring over the bank at water voles as they move around.Come darkness he an be a total nightmare,barking with sheer excitement chasing foxes,deer and rats.Wont be without him though!!

Attachments

• Alfie & 9-12.jpg
    Alfie & 9-12.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 234
here my fishing(and life) companion,as you can see he was desperate to get into the photo I took for Rod,a Twyford and District regular.during the day hes great just mouches around occasionally digging for mice and staring over the bank at water voles as they move around.Come darkness he an be a total nightmare,barking with sheer excitement chasing foxes,deer and rats.Wont be without him though!!

I thought the wonderful Alfie was overdue an appearance. Twyford and District club mascot,and honorary life member. Was a vocal contributor to Keith Speer's float fishing clinic the season before last, I recall. ;-)

Great photo.

Nope this is my opinion Neil. If you don't agree with it then hey ho. I've had springers and labs. Vizla bitches are absolutely awesome. Much better and faster thinking than the labs and springers ive had. Though that could be down to the breeding.

I concur.

Nope this is my opinion Neil. If you don't agree with it then hey ho. I've had springers and labs. Vizla bitches are absolutely awesome. Much better and faster thinking than the labs and springers ive had. Though that could be down to the breeding.

I don't see how you can say this dog is better than that one they all have different characteristics, we re home dogs and have had a few different types over the years, from a x lab boxer who would fight any dog, (which lived to a great age and we never gave up on him) to a little Belgian Griffon that was less dog like than any dog, but the most endearing little thing, that I will never forget but all of which had full and happy lives I hope even the 'gift' of a Chihuahua from a dying lady, the dog hated all men, including yours truly, but loved the missus, but she knew how to con a biscuit or two from me when I came home from work.

Dogs have filled my life, you could say I am obsessed with them, I even joined the RAF Police just to be a dog handler, :rolleyes: As I write this Jack the Springer is at the garden doors wanting to continue the hunt for the mouse that lives in the garden / shed, he is as mad as a box of frogs.

I know nothing of Vizla's but I will take your word for how great they are, but they are all great in my book Nick. Hopefully we might meet up on 'our' Severn and you can show me :)

I don't see how you can say this dog is better than that one they all have different characteristics, we re home dogs and have had a few different types over the years, from a x lab boxer who would fight any dog, (which lived to a great age and we never gave up on him) to a little Belgian Griffon that was less dog like than any dog, but the most endearing little thing, that I will never forget but all of which had full and happy lives I hope even the 'gift' of a Chihuahua from a dying lady, the dog hated all men, including yours truly, but loved the missus, but she knew how to con a biscuit or two from me when I came home from work.

Dogs have filled my life, you could say I am obsessed with them, I even joined the RAF Police just to be a dog handler, :rolleyes: As I write this Jack the Springer is at the garden doors wanting to continue the hunt for the mouse that lives in the garden / shed, he is as mad as a box of frogs.

I know nothing of Vizla's but I will take your word for how great they are, but they are all great in my book Nick. Hopefully we might meet up on 'our' Severn and you can show me :)

Lovely post that Neil.

Lovely post that Neil.

Thanks 'H' and just in case anyone wants a reminder what a Belgian Griffon looks like here is one that is a dead ringer for our Amy, really a lady 'companion' dog, but was originally bred as a mouse rat / killer, obviously I could not walk her around on a lead though :rolleyes:

BrusselsGriffonPurebredDogZao11Months.jpg (60.2 KB)

Attachments

• BrusselsGriffonPurebredDogZao11Months.jpg
    BrusselsGriffonPurebredDogZao11Months.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 217
Hi men,

For a long whole we had a pack of 4 Jack Russell's , awesome things , small but think they are big , we trained the first one so well the others just followed his lead , eg if we were eating we could say "don't stare" and all 4 would turn away . We only really ended up taking Tyson away with us ( pic is my avata ) . So easy , just trotted along beside is , and curl up on the unhooking mat !. I'm sure he used to curse us in the wet weather on our long Teme roving days , and as he went into real old age we tried to help him stay a bit dryer . He is over 19 now !.

I will say if you are buying a dog for fishing then I would think again . There are many clubs that have a no dog policy , and belive me I searched hard , and at best if you can't find waters where they are alowed then pick clubs where public footpaths run alongside the river . Saying that we dropped out of a syndicate on the Kennet where they allowed dog walkers along a fair bit of the river , but we paid £500 + and could not bring our little jack along !.

Hatter

Last edited:
Mark,

Great photos and yes it is crazy that dog walkers are allowed but not canine companions on many waters.

Regards,

Hugo

Say Hello to max

Here's Max, my Northern Inuit 50Kg of furry lunatic....
Not really a fishing dog but a load of fun, as long as you're not on his dinner menu!

Attachments

• IMGP0448-1.jpg
    IMGP0448-1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 210
Back