• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The source paste

I make my own.

As Brian said, use the Source groundbait. 1 egg and a couple of drops of The Source liquid food attractant (It comes in the pop-up tubs) add enough groundbait to give the desired consistency.

Just one word of warning, like any groundbait it absorbs fluids so make a slightly wet mix to start with and let it stand for 10 minutes before testing the consistency

Rich

I'm interested in pastes and not experienced in their use. Are you using this as a wrap on a boilie or as the main bait on a cork ball or similar or moulded round the hook ?

I'm interested in pastes and not experienced in their use. Are you using this as a wrap on a boilie or as the main bait on a cork ball or similar or moulded round the hook ?

Cliff, when i used source i drilled the 8mm pellets and wrapped the paste around 1 or 2 pellets or used 10mm boilies.I have hairs with cork balls on which offer a lighter paste bait.
I have just recently added some hemp oil to my pastes which gives a slightly better consistency.(Just need to find time to try them now!)

Dave

Cliff,
I use all the mentioned presentations depending on conditions.
Tend to use paste wraps for all my boilies.
I usually make a few very small boilies for paste 'alone' presentations - that's a confidence thing perhaps when using hair rigged soft paste situations.
Cork balls are OK for buoyant and critically balanced bait situations - a tip here - cut the cork ball in half and then mount )( - this way the paste will tend to have more surface area to hold on to.
Springs (hair rigger types) are great for soft hair rigged pastes and for many other bait types.
Direct hooking depends on paste and temperature but also a great and often overlooked method.
I spent a long time formulating a paste which performed extremely well using all the above and in most conditions, I now believe I have got there.

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Bob

thanks, clearly an area i need to explore further. I did buy some John Baker mix last winter and whilst I had no problems presenting it, i didnt catch on it but of course there could be many reasons for that !

Hi Cliff
You can also try wrapping some paste around your lead, or if you use a feeder some paste can be put inside it.
This method will create a leakage into you swim.
Brian

Hi Hayden
I used wheat gluten many years ago, but I am at a loss on where to buy it now, perhaps someone may know a store where I can purchase some.
At the moment I am trying XANTHAN GUM, this is used as a sticky and thickening agent, it is used in toothpaste, Ice cream and various gravy.
I have not achieved a satisfactory result at the moment but I am still trying.
Brian.

Hi Brain, I found that gum works really well. Keep at it!

I use xanthan gum as a thickener/emulsifier in my dips, but tend to use wheat gluten in my pastes instead as it does the job and is much cheaper. CC Moores sell it.

Nick C

Back