• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tidal Barbel

Chris Bracey

Ok lets kick off with a disclaimer!

Not looking to fish the Tidal Trent but have a few questions.

This may be a very stupid question but i have never fished the tidal Trent - apologies in advance for this simplistic approach. I have a few but daren't ask them all at the same time - will make me look a complete wombat :eek:

Here goes.

Hear a lot of guys fishing the tidal trent - roughly where is this between and i presume tidal means "rising and falling from the sea"?

If that is correct how far aware from the mouth of the sea do guys fish for Barbel?

the tidal influence goes all the way from the humber estuary to Cromwell weir. Barbel are caught all the way down to at least Gainsbrough, after that its difficult due to access etc

the tidal influence goes all the way from the humber estuary to Cromwell weir. Barbel are caught all the way down to at least Gainsbrough, after that its difficult due to access etc

thanks John - so would the barbel higher up be influenced by saltwater and if so are they any different strains from those barbel caught in say the Teme?

Same strain of fish. BTW I know of at least one Barbel caught from the Humber
I am not not sure of how saline is too saline for Barbel but I recollect that someone wriote how they do go from Hampshire Avon into the Stour via Christchurch (or vice versa).

Very right Darryl, a mate who has spent a bit of time on both the The Avon and The Stour has told me of fish that have turned up in both rivers having gone thru' Christchurch Harbour....

They are indeed! I've caught them but only in one spot. Just wondered if anyone else fished the tidal. Naburn lock looks perfect but have only heard of odd catches.
Its not the most scenic river but its interesting what you can catch.

That would depend on who fell in:D:D

Evening all, fished a short session on the tidal Ouse this aft and had half a dozen barbel!
With the tt fishing well and the Ouse looking better and better all the time, I wonder if these type of venues will continue to improve. It's not the stereotypical barbel venue but they do seem to do well here! Also interesting to catch small barbel (6oz) something I never seem to do elswere.

Karl

do severn tidal barbel tend to be bigger than mid severn barbel? Also is the Severn record a tidal barbel?

I'm sure there is but the EA class the Tidal stretch as from Cromwell Weir down :)

Cheers,

Steven.

Steven,
Yes you are correct. I should have clarified that by saying the affect of the moons gravitational pull has an affect on water that is tidal and non tidal. It would take someone to record and evaluate catches over time and measure this against the tide.
Spiros

Back