• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tonites the night for PB

Iain Tutt

As we have a supermoon tonite am off with my kit. Had my dinner or Supper from wherever you're from. Going to hit the Rother at Fittleworth. Been prebaiting for the last couple of days so fingers crossed i hit my PB like this time last year. The forecast is dry and around 7c.
If you're taking advantage of the Moon tonite good luck

Just got back from the Loddon. Had one around 7-8lb. Not a monster but the first one out for over a month.

13 Celsius when I got in the van at midnight!

Back out tomorrow for sure......

Had 4 hrs on the Dove last night. River had a little extra water on and a nice colour. No sign of any fish at all. Another blank.

full moon, different river, new pb from that river 10lb 14, good start , thanks to the contributors, you know who you are

No pb for me, but did winkle one out of the Dove. An ounce short of 9lb. Happy days.

Well done to all those who journeyed out, pitting their wits against our (some might say witless) common quarry.

When's the next super moon? Just trying to work out how many blanks I have to suffer. :)

In my experience
far more important is a NEW moon and is just about the best time to catch a big fish
just saying

Richard, it's the West Sussex Rother or known as the River Rother. Not the Rother river upt north. Gets confusing sometimes.
Lots of cloud cover, couldn't even see the moon but strangely still very warm am talking just a T-shirt weather. There was 4 of us scattered along the river with one only catching a 3.5 Chub. Me Nowt but lots and lots of nibbles. The one but plus was seeing a pure white Owl and the Kingfishers flying around just before dark.
To me, if you can't appreciate the nature around you whilst fishing then you can't call yourself a propper Angler.
Roll on the next full moon.

Cheers Iain - looks like a lovely river! The moon was so bright when I was on the Dove, it seemed almost like daylight. Incredible. And warm.

Gerry - when's the new moon (please excuse my ignorance of all matters celestial)?

Nov 29 and Dec 28
When the moon is full, the moon is at its brightest, and the entire disk is visible.
BUT !
New moons occur when the Earth comes between the moon and the sun, resulting in a moon that is completely obscured by the Earth's shadow and is barely visible in the night sky

this it seems is when the biggest fish get caught I have no idea why ? a carp angler pal of mine ( Rod Hutchinson) 1st told me about this years ago when he was compiling a list of all his biggest fish captures for a book and suddenly realised 90% were all on a New moon ! after that a lot of people realised their biggest fish often were on a New moon too
mine included not everyone but a large proportion that makes it a coincidence Highly unlikely

https://www.calendar-12.com/moon_phases/2016

Iain Tutt To me said:
Too right Iain, It's something i appreciate when on the river bank. It's a real pleasure watching owls hunting and listening to little critters creeping around at night. If i got upset everytime i blanked i'd have given up a long time ago! ;)

Too right Iain, It's something i appreciate when on the river bank. It's a real pleasure watching owls hunting and listening to little critters creeping around at night. If i got upset everytime i blanked i'd have given up a long time ago! ;)

Spot on David. One of the main things i totally stopped sea fishing years ago. The fish were getting few and far between. The only things to think was Oh look a seagull and another, another, Oh a wave. The only real nature was the birdnest my multi could make on itself

Whilst I was busy blanking Monday, a water bird, not one I recognise, swam over my line, and twitched the tip, funny that even you know why you had the twitch your heart still misses a beat...anyway off he went just a few yards downstream and jumped onto a low hanging Willow, and crept up the branches 'till he found a good spot, and nodded off...
Never seen that before, and was the highlight of that short session :rolleyes:

Back