• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Vest - Waistcoat - Gilet

Some years back my nearest and dearest bought me a Shimano Biocraft Fly Vest. I've used it ever since, more pockets than you could ever need. This and a bait bucket is all I carry. They are still available at around the £50 mark I believe. Mine has a detachable back for hot weather and a detachable lower pocket waist section, very flexible and adjustable.

Don't know if you can still get them but the Ron Thompson Montana is OK . More of a 2 in 1 jacket/ waistcoat with zip out sleeves , and unusually for RT stuff, pretty robust and looks good . Loads of pockets and rings for hanging your chinkle chankles on , has a hood , is waterproof but not breathable . Good for the money . I think I paid less that £30 for mine new

Try the reviews section, Webtex Tactical Vest (under the luggage section) could be just what you are looking for !? Available from Trans World Surplus I think..............

Yes me too, still had shorts until the dephs of winter..never saw the logic.

Adam it will have made you the man you are , you should be grateful to your mother :D Kids wear long trousers far too early these days , turns em soft in my view ..

Incidentally the link put up earlier to the latest Ron Thompson Ontario vest / jacket is basically a jazzed up version of the Montana jacket

Adam it will have made you the man you are , you should be grateful to your mother :D Kids wear long trousers far too early these days , turns em soft in my view ..

Incidentally the link put up earlier to the latest Ron Thompson Ontario vest / jacket is basically a jazzed up version of the Montana jacket

You are right having been brought up by parents from North Yorkshire in the south it always raised eyebrows with wellies and shorts in Oxfordshire, I am passing this down to my son just beacuse I had too.

Thanks for the link it is pretty smart and more versatile than a standard vest, I will look into it.

Scroll down to the Klobba XP Uni Fly Waistcoat HERE. I haven't got one but have seen these at a few tackle shows and they look good. They have more of a coarse angling design than the typical game fishing versions. Bargain at £19.99.

The "Orange Mega Bra" on the same page sounds interesting :eek:!?

Thanks all the great advice and hopefully it might be useful for others too.

I managed to get a Web-tex assault vest as new with a new bladder holder pack all in for £20 delivered on eBay. What a great bit of kit, asked my mate that served in the army and confirmed it was the one to go for he also recommended the SA Viper vest, you can get this in olive too which I would have preferred, at least now I have one bit of camo.

You will find these fishing waistcoats in the flyfishing calogues (Fishtec, YGA etc.) and they are often discounted in their Sales. From my point of view, I never found a use for the multitude of useless pockets. However, I did buy one from a local charity shop for a £1 (true) and it has proved to be quite useful for carrying decorating bits and pieces.

Back