• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Visitors in the swim

Patrick Leigh

As if the barbel fishing (read as most fishing) on the Ouse is not hard enough at present due to many reasons I had these lovely two gentlemen come paddling through last night...

Bottom of dinghy had a number of pike and perch in it and when I told them to politely 'jog on' and what the hell are they up to they mumbled about looking for M1 motorway... I pointed them in the direction and said enjoy the next couple of miles.

They did not like it when I picked up the phone to take a picture hence the candid shot as they went past.

And before 'some smartarse' retorts with "are you racist or trying to stir up racial tension"... No, just making people aware whose blinkers might be on lock down.

Not sure if these are the same guys, but a 'team' were actively trawling the river at Stony Stratford in the spring towing a drag net behind them and then filling two dustbins with their catch...

Poor old river!

ees.jpg

Its a big problem on the Ouse at the minute.

3 Eastern Europeans on a most hidden and private of private stretches last week: merrily throwing jelly lures around... "permit..vhat is permit??..". They were politely moved on.

The ones in that dinghy look similar to a gang who were working the Radwell Complex during July. 2 20ft long gill nets were put out in a dinghy, luckily a member spotted them doing it and went in once they were gone and got them burnt.

Cheeky swines and definately poor old river.

yes, rather infuriating! enraged even further when I took out two set lines which had been left in the water just at the end of the weir.. no doubt countless others along there too...

the middle Ouse around St.Neots, Buckden, Godmanchester & Huntingdon is suffering the same fate daily... set lines, gill nets and loads of mess...

A sad state of affairs for a beautiful river of which I've spent 35 years enjoying anling in... very sad!

The time to worry is when the otters take to using boats and nets.:eek: :D

You know what wiv their inbuilt ability to locate every single barbel in a river, biggest first, obviously.:rolleyes: :D

Patrick, just out of curiosity, did you contact the EA or better still seeing as their actions were criminal, did you contact the police (who have an obligation to attend the crime scene within a hour during office hours (I think), or within two hours, at all other times (I know))

The Chairman on Monday

Recent Papal visit? Never. Smokescreen for a poaching trip, I'll be bound (or, as Deirdre says, you'll be bound).

As ever,

B.B.

The Chairman on Monday

Recent Papal visit? Never. Smokescreen for a poaching trip, I'll be bound (or, as Deirdre says, you'll be bound).

As ever,

B.B.

Chairman,

Presumably this will be by way of celebrating your 1000th post.

Fish for supper?

Warmest regards

Hugo

Patrick, just out of curiosity, did you contact the EA or better still seeing as their actions were criminal, did you contact the police (who have an obligation to attend the crime scene within a hour during office hours (I think), or within two hours, at all other times (I know))
sorry col, your right but really, 999, whats the nature of your call?
two men in a boat stealing fish....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Its a big problem on the Ouse at the minute.

3 Eastern Europeans on a most hidden and private of private stretches last week: merrily throwing jelly lures around... "permit..vhat is permit??..". They were politely moved on.

The ones in that dinghy look similar to a gang who were working the Radwell Complex during July. 2 20ft long gill nets were put out in a dinghy, luckily a member spotted them doing it and went in once they were gone and got them burnt.

Cheeky swines and definately poor old river.

The time to worry is when the otters take to

If only we could get these guys to eat otters instead of fish!

sorry col, your right but really, 999, whats the nature of your call?
two men in a boat stealing fish....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Me, I'd pick up my mobile phone, dial 999, operator will answer "hello what emergency service do you require?" reply police.
Next question will be to ask the nature of your call, reply, I'd like to report a crime in progress, to which you'll be asked for details and warned not to approach the alleged culprits (innocent until proven guilty).

At this point they may try to either lecture you about it not being an emergency and/or its not for them to deal with, to which I'd reply; yes it is, you're witnessing a criminal act being committed, are they refusing to attend....

Simples really, pointless whingeing on the internet but doing nothing to aid the situation being rectified (even if only partially).

Confrontation gets action, idle apathy does not!!

Last edited:
Chairman,

Presumably this will be by way of celebrating your 1000th post.

Fish for supper?

Warmest regards

Hugo

He beat Dave Hall to the coveted title of first too reach a thousand posts then.:rolleyes:

Paul, did you get awarded a gold statue of the BFW logo or a quaint carrage clock to give pride of place on your mantelpiece, as way of acclaim to your achievement?;) :p :D

As ever,

Me:p

Simples really, pointless whingeing on the internet but doing nothing to aid the situation being rectified (even if only partially).

Confrontation gets action, idle apathy does not!!

I take that part of your reply was a general one and not aimed in this direction as I'd not replied earlier...

Yes, police informed... no action other than report taken (I deal with the UK's police forces on a daily basis, I know the score)

Yes, EA informed, pictures, time etc

Fishery leader informed as is also raising awareness amongst various channels.

Angling Trust informed - for what that is chuffing worth!

Other fishery managers along the section in question informed also... along with members being notified to keep their eyes peeled...

when I raised the phone to take a picture the one at the bow of the dinghy started to get agitated so being on my tod decided a candid shot was required to avoid confrontation... my wife and kids need me more than I do a barbel!

Tight lines

Quite agree, Patrick.....confrontation's only the sensible option if you have backup. There's no point about being blasé about your own well-being. It sounds like you took the appropriate action to me. Nice one :)

Patrick, it was indeed a general reference and not aimed at you.
Am I wrong (mis-informed) in my belief that the police have to attend a reported crime within one hour during office hours and two hours outside of them?

Richard, my comment regards confrontation was not about confronting the poachers but not letting the authorities fob you off with; not our jurisdiction or contact these they'll help etc etc

Patrick, I genuinely commend you for taking action, as many/most others wouldn't bother!

just a quick one. if you are on your own be carefull what you say to these people, the majority of them tend to be game for a tearup and aint too worried about the law.
i heard from a baa bailiff on the warks avon that one of the bailiff members took a real bad beating off 3 foreigners at Fladbury for trying to stop them putting out night lines!!
I know it sucks but if your gonna try and stop people in the act be aware of the posible outcome!

Back