• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

WANTED Cheap Centrepin

Mark Walters

I'm looking for a cheap pin for trotting, being a complete beginner when it comes to trotting I dont want to spend alot. Anything considered but must be in good working order.

Thanks

Centerpin reel

Go for the marco cortesi Mark, cheap about 30 quid.Then once you've got use to using it, and get the bug, you can go on to a better stamp of pin;)

Steve, I may buy a Marco but thought I'd see if anyone had something else first. Would you like to sell yours on and get a better stamp yet?:D

Marco cortesi

Mark you can have mine for nowt mate, used it twice and the small metal clip for the ratchet fell in the water.You could probably get it fixed easy, but I just haven't had time.You pay the postage and its yours, still can be used but like I say no ratchet, comes with velvet bag and box:)

Hi Mark,
You didn't mention a price but for around £50 you should be able to get a decent Trudex or Speedia. The Marco Cortesi is ok for occasional use but if you're serious about it then consider spending a few quid. For £100 you could get a half decent Match Aeral or an Adcock. These reels keep their value so if you decide it's not for you then you should get your money back. I hope you do find it agreeable because when you get in the right swin, in the right conditions, with the right gear, there's nothing quite like it. It's proper fishing!
Best of luck,
Jeff

Hi Jeff
it was about £50 I wanted to spend,I'v taken Steve up on his kind offer and I'v decided to send a Trudex off to Gary Mills to have some work done that it needs so that should see me OK for now. Looking forward to giving it a go over the next few months and catching anything that comes along.

I was in a complete mess the first time I used mine for trotting lol I guess it just takes practice and it takes such an age to wind in after a long trot too.

Good luck with it, it does look like the ideal way to trot a float through.

Brian

Brian, don't wind in, Bat, it takes no time at all then, you just end the day with alumium stain on your batting finger if like me you use an Adcock Stanton :cool:

Hi Mark,

When loading the reel, I would recommend nothing heavier than about 8lb and no more than around 100 yds. I use Gamma but it's getting difficult to find. Maxima Chameleon is another good one but i@m sure you will find something suitable.
I would also recommend applying "greased lightning" to the line. I find it helps me enormously to avoid getting tangles as I'm completely cack handed!

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Best regards,

Jeff

Back