• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Weirpool Fishing

Seen and enjoyed these lads on some other videos on the Anglers mail website.

Makes me wish more kids would go fishing rather than spend their time playing computer games.

Perhaps we should all make a New Year's resolution to take a youngster fishing in 2013.

shear joy, enjoyed that....

What a lovely little film that is Ian. Two happy, mild mannered, skilful lads enjoying some great fishing. Something that all young lads would be much the better for trying.

'Feel good' stuff indeed.

Cheers, Dave.

terrific little film,pity it or, something like that film cannot be shown on mainstream tv to encourage more youngsters on to the bank.

Seen and enjoyed these lads on some other videos on the Anglers mail website.

Makes me wish more kids would go fishing rather than spend their time playing computer games.

Perhaps we should all make a New Year's resolution to take a youngster fishing in 2013.

And then end up on the news in 2053 as part of Operation Yew Tree II :eek:

I am not sure how Google and other search engines view this site and its contents but is it now possible that my name could be linked to the Saville investigation by the previous post?

Perhaps a moderator would like to consider this and remove.

He'd have landed the first barbel if he had the right tackle. Didn't make the same mistake the second time around, though. But, a really great little video which puts some of the professionals to shame.

Truly inspiring set of films from these lads . Almost makes me yearn for that innocence and excitement .
Nowadays I seem to set my sights far too high . Note for next year - fish where ther are some fish !
So - weirpool fishing . Are they more or less productive at this time of year . I seem to always avoid them - thoughts on a postcard ?

Many, many moons ago, I held a Thames weir permit, allowing me to fish many of the pools. I sure as heck had my share of barbel from them :) Didn't fish for them this time of year, after other things, so have no idea if they were better or worse at that time.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I learned my barbel fishing as a lad in Thames weirpools and like David had a weir permit. I caught them in every month of the season but in the winter they tended not to be in the pools.

Fond memories of Penton Hook and dear friends.

Seasons greetings

Hugo

Any one who as read Trev West's book '' Barbel A lifetime's addiction'' will know. As a teenager he caught his first barbel from Rushey weir on the Thames and he caught it out of season while trying to catch Trout :rolleyes:

Back