• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

West Country Baits

Ordered the Elips pellets in two sizes after following this thread. Also a bag of their Barbel boilies. Had a Hants Avon double within 30 mins on the boilie and small bag of pellets. Thanks to all who made the recommendations.

Gonna have to get the boilies then.:rolleyes:
Well done on the HA barbel, class.

Sorry for the late reply Neil, I have only just recently seen your post.
As Ian correctly states I used to use West country baits a bit, mainly the slick sense boilie barrels and paste, caught a few on them and found them most reliable. From a customer service point of view Shaun was always very good with communications and delivery, even managing to get baits out to me on one particular occasion at very short notice, in fact the only reason that I eventually stopped using them was because I wanted to go back to rolling/using a different base mix for my barbel fishing.

Sorry for the late reply Neil, I have only just recently seen your post.
As Ian correctly states I used to use West country baits a bit, mainly the slick sense boilie barrels and paste, caught a few on them and found them most reliable. From a customer service point of view Shaun was always very good with communications and delivery, even managing to get baits out to me on one particular occasion at very short notice, in fact the only reason that I eventually stopped using them was because I wanted to go back to rolling/using a different base mix for my barbel fishing.

Hi Mark, hope you are well, the pellets do look good, great brown colour and oily, so a good hook bait. Will give the other products a go too.

I am always looking for a 'instant' type reaction from my baits, just not cut out for weaning them onto a particular bait, that's why meat has always been a go to bait for me, but of course everything that swims likes meat too, a boilie can often be as productive, and more selective, as far as Barbel are concerned.

Do you find fishing smaller rivers, which you do that a bait soon 'blows'? I have found that to be a problem, certainly keeps you on your toes.

Do you find fishing smaller rivers, which you do that a bait soon 'blows'? I have found that to be a problem, certainly keeps you on your toes.

Hello Neil I'm not too bad thanks for asking, hope all is well with yourself. Yes I would concur with those thoughts, obviously though that depends on the quality of bait and other factors.

I find a decent bait/base mix will keep on catching though,almost up to a point that it is as if the fish can't say no (they still can trust me :D) and I have found that if you can find a mixture along those lines it does take the bait confidence worry out of the equation, leaving you to worry about all those other factors that affect our waterways instead :D (said tongue in cheek).

The slick sense is good I found it to work well, only problem being that their hard hooker barrels weren't as hard as I prefer to use, what with the crayfish round here,or should that be lobsters that masquerade as crayfish :eek:

Back