• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What Scales Please?

Happy with my RH9000.
They weigh exactly the same as my 2 Avons.

Checked again today.
Mine didn’t get through the first winter. Just packed up.
Probably just a one off duff set. You always get em with any electronics.
Kinda put me off after that. They were nice mind. Love the slim pencil design because it slipped in the back pocket

Like Richard had a set of RH9000s which just gave up without notice.
Will be interesting to see what the user reports on this new offering from Korum reveal over time. Can't deny their handy size ( pardon the pun ).

rob08987.jpg

I would bet these would have the same components as the cheap luggage scales that sell for a couple of quid, without the Korum badge and Carp tax.
Richard ! get on it mate.😉

I would bet these would have the same components as the cheap luggage scales that sell for a couple of quid, without the Korum badge and Carp tax.
Richard ! get on it mate.😉
Almost definitely Neil. I reckon the circuit cards for all these digital scales come out of the same factory in China or Taiwan etc.

I guess the money is gonna go into how well that pcb is protected against damage while in use.
A degree of water resistance and decent temperature range are basic functions I’d expect from any fishing scales yet some fail miserably on that part.

Agreed, I used to work in the pcb electronics industry, and the level of quality off shore goods turn out is staggering, of course you have weigh up (😊) cost vs market price acceptance, but the mark up on say Korum must be impressive.
I did a post mortem on two Lightweights, and the mechanics were just terrible.

I’ve bought 3 (4) sets of the cheap luggage scales.

one was broken on arrival; the other 3 work fine 1 year later. My other half uses one set every day with no issues.

I’ve got Avon’s,Flyweight’s and a Badger digital from way back,on checking them all with various objects they all gave the same weight per object.I use the Flyweights when out due to fact that they are the lightest and take up least room.In saying that I’ve never had a problem with them 👍👍

I’ve bought 3 (4) sets of the cheap luggage scales.

one was broken on arrival; the other 3 work fine 1 year later. My other half uses one set every day with no issues.
The problem with cheap luggage scales is that they weigh in pounds OR ounces, not pounds and ounces. I have some that are very accurate but I prefer the ease of my Korum digitals, which have been brilliant for 3 years. The original battery is still in, maybe I ought to replace it. I test the Korums every so often and they are extremely accurate. I'm very satisfied with them.

I’ve had afew sets now and my opinions on those sets are.

Flyweights are awful scales the needle seized on mine and a mates.

Avon’s are fine if they have been looked after they need regular stripping and cleaning

RH9000’s are total crap unless you are a fair weather only fisherman

Korum I’ve not owned but they seem ok but my mate does complain it doesn’t do brilliant on battery life and not much of a handle to grab

Avid digitals ……. Best I’ve ever come across by a country mile.
Cost afew quid mind but Worth every penny. Rock solid, strong, sealed, proper handles, really compact, still on original battery now which is still reading full (could be down to my piss poor catch rate🤣)

Seriously though you’ll buy em once and that’s it.
Perfect scales imo. Wouldn’t change anything about them and that’s saying something because I can usually find a niggle with everything.
They even give you a bloody battery and it’s the common 9v square
do they have a memory function that remembers the weight of the weigh sling
i have a pair of korum ones and are ok but don't really like them for that reason

do they have a memory function that remembers the weight of the weigh sling
i have a pair of korum ones and are ok but don't really like them for that reason
While they remain turned on, they will remember where you last zero’d them. If you turn them off they revert back to the original zero point.

You don’t want them remembering it every time because as said above your slings weight can vary

Iv got some old flyweights that weigh pretty much the same as my avons give or take a lb or so. So either they are both ok or they are both way off. My main beef with digitals is that the first set I got were erratic straight from the off so returned them and paid the extra for some fox digies which were great for a year or so before they went mad and I spoke to fox who said they need recalibrated after 2 years and to send them off with a cheque for £35 to get them sorted. Decided then to never have another set of digital scales.

spoke to fox who said they need recalibrated after 2 years and to send them off with a cheque for £35 to get them sorted.
That’s just daylight robbery
There is nothing in a digital set of scales to wear out so why do they need calibration done every 2 years.
Shit like that gets up my nose because if you’ve invested in a fox set you’ve already paid a premium price. Why do they fill our heads with this crap that you have to get them recalibrated or they don’t work.

That’s just daylight robbery
There is nothing in a digital set of scales to wear out so why do they need calibration done every 2 years.
Shit like that gets up my nose because if you’ve invested in a fox set you’ve already paid a premium price. Why do they fill our heads with this crap that you have to get them recalibrated or they don’t work.
Yeah I never bothered sending them off in the end was cheaper to just buy some avons

I like my Reuben Heaton 9000's but they do go haywire when they get wet - very poor design flaw allows water to get inside - so I seriously considered getting a better pair of digitals and plumped for some Salter Electro Samson digital scales (as recommended by Bob Gill some years back).
However, I couldn't accept the additional weight in my fishing holdall so, after weighing various items with the Samson's and my Reuben Heatons and finding they both gave identical readings, I sent the Salters back and decided to find a way of keepng my Reuben Heatons dry and working .

I have installed my scales in a clear plastic float tube which has marginal impact on weight and volume and provides very good protection from water.

I have to open up the tube briefly to switch them on but so far I am quite happy with my slightly less than perfect solution.

RH 1.jpgRH 3.jpg

I'd never be happy with only a set of digitals. If they aren't working, you're stuffed. Old school scales might be a bit out, but at least you get a reading. If necessary, this can then be tested when you get home.

You could always take a spare battery. I assume you did for your head torch before the rechargeable type appeared?

Edit: Or I've completely misunderstood and you mean they're not working for another reason?

I like my Reuben Heaton 9000's but they do go haywire when they get wet - very poor design flaw allows water to get inside - so I seriously considered getting a better pair of digitals and plumped for some Salter Electro Samson digital scales (as recommended by Bob Gill some years back).
However, I couldn't accept the additional weight in my fishing holdall so, after weighing various items with the Samson's and my Reuben Heatons and finding they both gave identical readings, I sent the Salters back and decided to find a way of keepng my Reuben Heatons dry and working .

I have installed my scales in a clear plastic float tube which has marginal impact on weight and volume and provides very good protection from water.

I have to open up the tube briefly to switch them on but so far I am quite happy with my slightly less than perfect solution.

View attachment 16954View attachment 16955
What an excellent wheeze Neil. I like that 👍😁

I am on my second pair of RH9000s, but I go so infrequently the danger is that the batteries might leak and cause damage, which is exactly what happened. The PCB is or poor quality (I worked in the electronics industry for 40 years and I do believe I have experience enough to say that)

I needed to fashion a new bracket to hold a spring which makes contact to a battery, but when trying to solder it in position, using a temperature controlled iron, the tracks on the PCB parted from the base layer and was irrepairable. So I binned them but still opted for another pair.

So, what to do about it? Well it's so fiddly removing the batteries after each session, the case material is also poor quality and the self tapping screw would soon ruin the "thread". I was going to solder some wires and have an external battery, but tbh have never got around to it. I have not fished for barbel for over a year and can't see me going any time soon (if at all), so any further action on the scales will be unlikely to happen.

I am on my second pair of RH9000s, but I go so infrequently the danger is that the batteries might leak and cause damage, which is exactly what happened. The PCB is or poor quality (I worked in the electronics industry for 40 years and I do believe I have experience enough to say that)

I needed to fashion a new bracket to hold a spring, but when trying to solder it in position, using a temperature controlled iron, the tracks on the PCB parted from the base layer. Binned them but still opted for another pair.

So, what to do about it? Well it's so fiddly removing the batteries after each session, the case material is also poor quality and the self tapping screw would soon ruin the "thread". I was going to solder some wires and have an external battery, but tbh have never got around to it. I have not fished for barbel for over a year and can't see me going any time soon (if at all), so any further action on the scales will be unlikely to happen.
Excellent post Paul. It’s nice to read about a product in that sort of intricate detail. Sometimes we are quick to say something is good or bad and not know all the facts due to simply not understanding it properly. I know very little about electronics and wouldn’t know a good pcb from a bad one. Guess who I’ll be texting when I need to know 🤣
I’m pretty nifty with an iron and a roll of solder mind but I guess that’s come from my gas and tig welding days.

Back