• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

what water temps will barbel still feed

David...When i was with Trefor (as above), it was undoubtedly 'Smell' of the bait that stimulated the barbel which was a paste fished static and a few trickled freebies. We could see the fish in the swim of which there were around 6 tucked under a tree and roots close in. The bait was placed upstream under the tree and the trail of the released bait scent travelled downstream into the path of where the fish were laying, totally dormant and still. Took a couple of changes of bait and more freebies before the fish started to nudge each other about and become agitated. No way did they want to leave the cover of the tree. One noticeable observation that happened in this episode was that as soon as the bait had been in the water for a few minutes, it seemed to lose its smell/scent and the barbel went back to being in the dormant state, even though the bait was still in the swim. A new bait on the hook and a few more tricked freebies would stimulate them again for a short period only. Eventually, only one barbel nervously left the pack and came upstream to investigate the bait and took it. The others didn't want to know and cleared off pronto as Tref's barbel was hooked.

Probably best to leave them all well alone in hindsight. Little point in agitating a Barbel to feed, they need to have solitude, especially in such conditions, never been a fan of stalking Barbel in their safe havens. No wonder the Teme is a shadow of it's former glory, it happened all too much I am afraid.

You've just inspired me there John, although I would say river temps in your part of the country are probably higher than up here!
I fish evenings more than any other time and have yet to catch a winter barbel in the evening!

David, quite possibly the temperatures down my way are generally higher than up North. That aside it's what the fish get accustomed to and it does not necessarily mean that the fish down South would be any more easier to catch in winter as further North. It's all relative as to what the fish are normally used to feeding in.
I hope that makes sense :)

Tight lines

I think it's more a question on whether the angler can stick it out on the bank in such cold conditions...or whether you wait till it gets milder to where you will then catch the same fish much easier in more favourable conditions. I did the very cold bits as an experiment, but found it hard going, so i would rarely do it again.

I think the question is-is the end result worth the effort in winter?My last 3 barbel sessions have been blanks on the middle trent although I have had several chub around the 4lbs mark which would have been enjoyable to catch on light float tackle.Not much sport using heavy barbel gear,although they do brighten up an otherwise quiet session.
The river has been clear and cold,usually around 6°C,not the most conducive conditions for barbel so I have been trying to find them(unsuccessfully)and put a bait in front of their nose as they lay dormant on the bottom.
The weather forecast is poor for the next few days so I think it will be a while before the barbel feed properly again.It's time to get the chub tackle out until we get some south westerlies to dump some warmer rain into the river and get the barbel feeding again.
It's not all about catching fish though,it can be great to be on the river bank on a sunny winters day observing the wildlife.

David...When i was with Trefor (as above), it was undoubtedly 'Smell' of the bait that stimulated the barbel which was a paste fished static and a few trickled freebies. We could see the fish in the swim of which there were around 6 tucked under a tree and roots close in. The bait was placed upstream under the tree and the trail of the released bait scent travelled downstream into the path of where the fish were laying, totally dormant and still. Took a couple of changes of bait and more freebies before the fish started to nudge each other about and become agitated. No way did they want to leave the cover of the tree. One noticeable observation that happened in this episode was that as soon as the bait had been in the water for a few minutes, it seemed to lose its smell/scent and the barbel went back to being in the dormant state, even though the bait was still in the swim. A new bait on the hook and a few more tricked freebies would stimulate them again for a short period only. Eventually, only one barbel nervously left the pack and came upstream to investigate the bait and took it. The others didn't want to know and cleared off pronto as Tref's barbel was hooked.

Really interesting Ray regarding the barbels reaction, and to be able to watch them in the swim must be fascinating.
I guess it gets harder with smaller shoals or solitary fish as you may not get the same reaction? Maybe it is a domino effect of one fish becoming agitated (as it's quite happy where it is, but food/scent is passing by) and another fish reacts, then another. Until one moves from its position and makes a mistake.

David, quite possibly the temperatures down my way are generally higher than up North. That aside it's what the fish get accustomed to and it does not necessarily mean that the fish down South would be any more easier to catch in winter as further North. It's all relative as to what the fish are normally used to feeding in.
I hope that makes sense :)

Tight lines

It does make sense John. I am just looking for excuses because I can't catch a barbel! :p :D

Plenty of food for thought there Ray and John. I try not to get tunnel vision with winter barbel, but despite the huge chub present in our rivers down here, still find it difficult :rolleyes:
I spent an hour this morning watching some good chub from a bridge before the crap weather arrived,... my first thought was to wonder if there were any barbel present!:D

Mark/Richard...catching 2,000 barbel in a single season is some going. That's an average of around 8 barbel a day...every day of the season, including winter. Facinating if i got that right.
Dave...The other species i catch most of on rolling meat in cold gin clear water when the barbel aint up for it.. are Pike and then chub. As you know, if you go for the chub, then you will probably catch the barbel....possibly.

Mark/Richard...catching 2,000 barbel in a single season is some going. That's an average of around 8 barbel a day...every day of the season, including winter. Facinating if i got that right.

Yes but that's just that....an average. ..it's not accounting for the summer fishing compared to the winter fishing...there are rivers where if you get it right you can bag 20 plus barbel a day,some being repeat captures of course.

Quite right Jeff… Water temps can be a lot higher than air temps in winter and it does get confusing when they are not stated which is which, to where it makes a big difference to the point where barbel switch off via the lower water temp. From what you’re inferring, is that the barbel never switch off or become semi-dormant in winter on these rivers. If that is the case to where all barbel will readily feed at below or around 35-36F water temp, then that is quite extraordinary. It is probably something you have to see and experience oneself first hand to believe. As i have always said, there is a big difference between fishing when mild in winter compared to fishing when very cold in winter for barbel..mainly referring to the water temp. Perhaps the barbel are evolving in some way out there. ;) Out of interest, when you or Mark etc are referring to 20 barbel a day in winter, what size of barbel are we talking about.

They probably average 5lb-7lb but you get fish to 11lb and down to 1/2lb.I do not think they all feed every day but because 95% the stretches barbel are in these 2 swims from november onwards there are always fish to be caught.I will PM you Ray when i get home

Mark,
You are very fortunate to have a water like that, and to know where these two swims are. But after a couple of visits doesn't it get a bit boring ? It just sounds to me like visiting a good commercial pool, fish are virtually guaranteed, but is that what I want.
Up here two or three fish in summer is a good day and blanks just part of the sport.
Just jealous I suppose.
Mike

Mark,
You are very fortunate to have a water like that, and to know where these two swims are. But after a couple of visits doesn't it get a bit boring ? It just sounds to me like visiting a good commercial pool, fish are virtually guaranteed, but is that what I want.
Up here two or three fish in summer is a good day and blanks just part of the sport.
Just jealous I suppose.
Mike

I know where Mark is talking about, perhaps not surprisingly the swims are occupied all day every day, probably without exception. You need to get there early and get lucky with which ball you pick out the bag.

It does get boring, I've fished the swim in question once and that's enough for me. it's a shame people concentrate on those two or three swims as it's an exceptional fishery full of big fish of all varieties.

I'm on my way out there now for a bit of chubbing

If i am lucky with the 0550 winter swim draw and get one of the 2 pegs i do not fish for the barbel.Sadly they are the best two Roach swims on the stretch and i target those. I have caught roach to 2lb 13 oz from the swims.I land a lot of barbel on very fine hook lengths and small hooks but am trying desperately to avoid them,its impossible.They even take on the drop in 2 feet of water on the coldest days.Sadly the fish are suffering from being caught day after day,and yes its boring catching that many barbel but we should not knock it.A lot of anglers catch their first barbel there including youngsters its almost like puddle fishing for overstocked carp. With the state of most southern rivers this is very special,though i would like them more spread out.

Hi men ,

They are spread out a bit Mark , but there are long lengths devoid of barbel , and other species come to that . The area with a few in it does see a lot of EU taking fish , witnessed by myself , and there are pockets of fish all along . The bit your on about is unique , but i feel is living on borrowed time from otters , lets hope they spread naturally as they grow , or the swims change in some way .

Hatter

Hi men,

Not for me to spoil others fishing , and not fair to name the stretch for those who are fishing there , but above is true , except 3 ft is a deeper area !.

Hatter

It's very much true, as I said you need to have a good head of fish for starters, middle severn comes close, and is nearer.
I Fish the middle severn and would"nt call it that crazy with fish :)

and guys just pm me this river and stretch please"" I will only fish it 4 times a week lol :D

I Fish the middle severn and would"nt call it that crazy with fish :)

and guys just pm me this river and stretch please"" I will only fish it 4 times a week lol :D

I didn't call it crazy with fish, but it sure beats the hell out of all other rivers, apart from the Wye, or possibly Trent. I think you will find the river you crave may not offer nearly as much as the Severn. Sure it might have a concentration of a lot of Barbel in a tight area, but so do Carp in commercials.

Grass is always greener etc. :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure I know where the stretch concerned is, but have never even walked it, let alone fished it. What I find interesting (perhaps even bizarre) is what it is about those two swims which keeps the fish tightly packed there, while much of the rest of the stretch is thinly populated, including some areas apparently devoid of fish.

It's not even that they are out of bounds areas where fish congregate because they are safe havens. If the two swims are fished virtually non stop as described, what on earth induces the fish to stay there in such vast numbers? Is there a combined boilie/spam factory on the bank with a continuous outflow into the swims :D:D:D

Seriously though, I am intrigued. I don't disbelieve Mark for one second, 'cos I know the chap...but there must be some magic combination of features there to cause such freaky, isolated fish concentrations, especially as they are seemingly not disturbed by intense angling pressure. It's not April yet is it :p

Cheers, Dave.

Back