• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What's going to work? Team work!

am i bitter?

good work ? but the angling club that's involved is a limited member game club with a first year fee off £ 395 quid putting it out of the average anglers reach,and no mention of predators at all,which will probably be dealt with ,by the up and over methods to protect the salmon and brownies,not the same protection to the coarse stocks lower down the river.looks like there all blowing smoke up each others ar ses.

I could not agree more Andrew.

Only a very small thinker could find fault with this project.

Or someone with their own opinions :D I watched the video this morning and what struck me was the repeated phrase "renaturalisation" ( is their such a word?) what has been achieved so far looks good but only time will tell if they have got it right, nature has a way of disagreeing with man about what's natural. one things for sure flood banks are not natural, still its a start at putting right what should have been left alone in the first place. Were there any coarse angling clubs represented?

I wonder if any other rivers will be renaturaliesed after the governments promised dredging?

do gooders my ar se!

I could not agree more Andrew.

Only a very small thinker could find fault with this project.

so what are you saying ? the only benefit really was to the rspb who regained wetlands! the rest that had interest in the project were trumped up created jobs in my opinion,with there own agendas for justifying there wages!

Propaganda for the posh, preserving the land for the gentry making sure the english squires salmon and trout fishing remains unaffected. I'm sure the barbel angler is more concerned with predation!

As an angler you shouldn't you be concerned about all fish species? If the salmon and trout fishing improves then surely the river improves as a whole?
Considering all the bleating that goes on here about the state of our rivers, you'd think something positive like this would be welcomed, but obviously not. :rolleyes:

I'm deeply concerned but more so about predation and pollution, and in the coming years the thought that the government will see the solution to flooding in the form of dredging. Fishing is for the masses not just the upper echelons of society.

Last edited:
As an angler you shouldn't you be concerned about all fish species? If the salmon and trout fishing improves then surely the river improves as a whole?

Rhys,

If the Salmon and Trout fishing improves on any river then the coarse angler will be the first one to get the heave ho.

Steve

Rhys,

If the Salmon and Trout fishing improves on any river then the coarse angler will be the first one to get the heave ho.

Steve

All too do with economics really Steve, coarse anglers are too tight fisted on the whole to compete. They prefer to just gripe about everything :D

Ian,

Its not economics that keeps coarse and game anglers apart............its class distinction. The modern matchman spends more on his fishing than all but the most elite salmon anglers, and yet he is viewed as some sort of lower life form by the fluff flingers.

This thread purported that teamwork between anglers and other interested parties is the way forward. The sooner we realize and ACCEPT that we are not one team the better. Game anglers would happily remove all coarse fish from our rivers so there is no chance of us ever having a common policy. This is why the Salmon and Trout Association did not, and never will, join the AT.

Steve

All too do with economics really Steve, coarse anglers are too tight fisted on the whole to compete. They prefer to just gripe about everything :D

The likes of Dave Mason, Martin James and a lot more put a lot of time and money into improving Rivers. As said nothing to do with finances more a class thing, no one gives a hoot about coarse stocks.

We have the pm here here to-day at Upton, thinking about what can be done about the votes, err floods, you bet he is going to call on dredging of the Severn yep that will do it. That's what they want to hear.:mad:

Ian,

Its not economics that keeps coarse and game anglers apart............its class distinction. The modern matchman spends more on his fishing than all but the most elite salmon anglers, and yet he is viewed as some sort of lower life form by the fluff flingers.

This thread purported that teamwork between anglers and other interested parties is the way forward. The sooner we realize and ACCEPT that we are not one team the better. Game anglers would happily remove all coarse fish from our rivers so there is no chance of us ever having a common policy. This is why the Salmon and Trout Association did not, and never will, join the AT.

Steve

Absolutely spot on Steve. Well said.

Cheers, Dave.

This is why the Salmon and Trout Association did not, and never will, join the AT.

Steve

Is it? I think this thread is a good example of why the STA don't want anything to do with coarse anglers and the AT. Rather than sit down and listen to all parties and work together they would rather rubbish such projects as blowing smoke while ranting on with themselves about the need for a cull of this that or the other. I'm afraid the biggest barrier to the AT achieving anything is within it's own membership.

Does anyone know if any coarse fishing clubs were involved in this?

Does it really matter? I really don't see why who controls the fishing rights to this stretch is important - the point is good work was done to improve the river. I would also like to point out that at nigh on £200 for the first year after a 5 year wait Mark's club is hardly fishing for the masses!

so what are you saying ? the only benefit really was to the rspb who regained wetlands! the rest that had interest in the project were trumped up created jobs in my opinion,with there own agendas for justifying there wages!

That is dreary, uninformed and utterly nonsensical guff.

Firstly reconnecting the river with its natural floodplain reduces bankside erosion which will reduce sediment deposition and help to protect spawning gravels, both at the Preston Deeps stretch and any stretches downstream.

Secondly, there are positive benefits to the overall Ribble Catchment coming from changes to farming practices. Natural England have part funded (50%) the post of an adviser (the RSPB fund the other 50%) to provide advice to farmers and landowners on the suitability of their land for entry into Higher Level Stewardship (HLS). HLS offers farmers and landowners a payment to de-intensify areas of grassland in key areas of the catchment – land directly on the river, land adjacent to tributaries and inflows and potentially any other land deemed ‘high risk’ from a water quality perspective. The payments made through HLS are based on an income foregone basis, so the farmers don’t really profit from entering into the scheme, the payments they receive simply compensate them for the loss of production. The payments don't account for the 'hassle factor'.

In general terms, farmers who enter their grassland into HLS are not permitted to apply blanket applications of pesticides, nor use artificial fertilisers or slurry. Stocking rates are reduced to prevent poaching and no out-wintering of cattle is permitted. In some cases the farmers will also be encouraged to maintain high water levels in the spring and early summer months for the benefit of wading birds.

By increasing the area of low-intensity grassland in the floodplain, aside from improving habitat for wading birds and other farmland biodiversity, is proven to reduce diffuse pollution from nitrate leaching, localised ammonia deposition and soil wash/run-off (which carries with it phosphate).

Long-term data shows that the some parts of the Ribble suffer from excessive concentrations of harmful pesticides such as MCPA and Mecoprop, substances that are known to have a damaging impact on the aquatic environment. Land under HLS management will only receive spot-treatment of pesticides in exceptional circumstances, certainly no blanket applications.

Clearly all of the above will benefit the Ribble catchment as a whole, as someone who occasionally coarse fishes downstream of Long Preston Deeps I’m delighted by what has happened. Only someone in complete denial of the facts could argue that what is happening at Long Preston won’t benefit the Ribble downstream.

It is regrettable that you have decided to make assumptions about the partners involved in this project. Clearly you know very little about them or the work that they do, however this clearly hasn't deterred you from slagging them off on a public forum. If you’d bother to do your research you’d find out that many of them are very well qualified, hard-working individuals that are committed to improving the environment.

The farmers that have taken part in this project also should be singled out for some praise, they have stepped-up to help deliver the goods for the environment, in this case the Ribble. It’s pretty tough being a grassland farmer in that part of the world, as I’ve already written they are no wealthier for entering into HLS. It would have been easier for them to carry on as they were but they didn’t and for that they deserve some credit.

Is it? I think this thread is a good example of why the STA don't want anything to do with coarse anglers and the AT. Rather than sit down and listen to all parties and work together they would rather rubbish such projects as blowing smoke while ranting on with themselves about the need for a cull of this that or the other. I'm afraid the biggest barrier to the AT achieving anything is within it's own membership.

Does it really matter? I really don't see why who controls the fishing rights to this stretch is important - the point is good work was done to improve the river. I would also like to point out that at nigh on £200 for the first year after a 5 year wait Mark's club is hardly fishing for the masses![/QUOTE]

I don't know if it matters but it would be interesting to know, bearing in mind what has been posted earlier about game fishers not wanting coarse fish in the river. It would seem that the lack of an answer either way would point to the answer being no which would back up the comments posted earlier.

Back