• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

What's the difference

Iain Tutt

What's the difference between an Avon blank and a Leger blank. I have both in 11ft and 10ft both. The taper seems the same but the ledger blank is a little less tippy. Both take screw in quivers

I think the "Avon" tag has got lost in time. My interpretation is a rod with a test curve of between 1 to 1 1/4 lbs , through action with a length between 10 and 11.3" long.
Often lightweight so it could be used for float work as well as damned near anything else. Harks back to a time when rods weren't denoted by species.
Basically an all rounder.
I built one in 1980 from an 11.3 Sportex blank and it was for years my number 1 barbel rod, as well as tench, bream light carp etc. Cracking little rod,... many current barbel rods would have been classed as carp rods back then I reckon.:)

Agree Dave with the Avon Tag being misinterpreted in time. My 11ft 1.5lb is my go to rod for Chub, Small Barbell, Tench, Bream, Roach etc and Carp. Having a nice though action to the butt unlike these 3lb plus named Carp rods. The only other rod i use is a dedicated light float rod. But i have this old fibreglass leger rod that i would like to use, but again the Leger name is misleading of what i can be used for

Iain,.. if your " ledger" rod has a decent set of eyes and doesn't waggle about too much give it a go. Don't be influenced by the screw- in top eye, I remember seeing some old hollow glass ' match rods' with them.
Has it got a makers name?
As for test curves,... most of my good fish have come from a 1.5 medium action rod and a 1.25 long trotter that have both handled them with ease this season.
Bigger test curves are more about bigger leads combating higher flows not necessarily handling bigger fish.

I know Neil. I had a 2 piece cane one many years ago. Now regret i gave it away. I have a very nice 3/4lb Avon that my son bought for me from Dartford tackle this Christmas. I do own other "Barbel" rods 1.25lb, 1.75lb, 2.25lb. To be honest i can't remember the last time ive used the 1.75/2.25 rods. My 1.25lb does everything i need but i also want a lighter lb for silvers and rudd etc.
But we still haven't got around to this leger rod i have

Ah,.. used to have one of those, it was termed a ' particle ' rod I seem to remember Neil.

I have a hand made split cane Avon Dave, inherited from my Uncle, it was a kit that was available in the 60's. All the cane/ varnish/ whippings and guides are in splendid condition, the only thing he put on a metal screw down seat that would have been better on a 6 foot boat rod., and it was placed at the wrong end of the handle. I have removed it and all I need to do is put on the corks and traditional reel fittings.
Would never use it for fishing though, the action is far too sloppy for my liking.
Noticed there is a TFG Avon on sale here on BFW, they are much sought after...a very good lightweight rod.

Neil i have a TFG Avon rod and i can tell you they are well worth every penny

I think the term "Avon" was first used by Hardy Bros in the 40's for a rod built, in collaboration with FWK Wallis, as an 'all rounder' for use on the Hampshire Avon. I believe it has more to do with its 'action' rather than its length (10-11ft) or test-curve (1.0-1.25lb). Then in the 50's (?) Dick Walker scales down one of his Mark IV ( his 'Mark 4 action') carp rods and called in the 'Mark IV Avon'. IIRC.

Neil i have a TFG Avon rod and i can tell you they are well worth every penny

Yep some good reports, I was sorely tempted, I have the usual JW Avon's, that are more sentimental than sensible, and a Daiwa Avon, with the short butt, never used it, really want some good screw in tips for it, as the top section seems a bit too stiff?

I love the concept of Avon rods, even though the true Avon was a gentler beast, but Avon rods are a rare thing now. The TFG River and Stream seems to be a 'real' Avon, probably the best tool for shy winter roach.

I might have to take the plunge :rolleyes:

I had some of the early JW avon quivers, lord knows what happened to them.
I have what I think is called an avon quiver that was originally built by Paul Boote and then Nicholas Whip. If ever a rod was said to bend through its blank (supposedly like an avon) its that!

Back