• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whats the differences ?

Iain Tutt

What the differences between a Leger rod and an Avon rod. Both have a screw thread in the last ring to take quiver tips. Both seem to have the same TC. I mostly Leger with my Avon rod so trying to get around the differences in my small brain

A ledger rod is any rod used for ledgering. An 'Avon' rod should be a rod with an 'Avon action... basically based on the work of Richard Walker (1950's), which culminated in the 'Avon Mk IV action'. 'Avon' refers to an action, not a fast tip action, not an 'all through' action, but a progressive action with a reasonably fast tip ... IMHumbleO. But there will be many others, possibly more learned, that will disagree with my simplification. Then again, these days any rod with a tc of 1.25lb that is being touted for ledgering may be called an 'Avon' rod, if the manufacturer reckons that'll result in increased sales. It a minefield these days... but try any fancied rod out first whenever possible, and always (always) match the rod to the strength of line you intend using.
ATVB

Or......is this another wind up thread??? (neither ledger rods, or Avon rods, necessarily have a threaded tip ring for a screw-in quiver/swing/spring tip)

So many rods claim to be Avon, and yet a proper Avon is a lighter 1lb t.c the rest are just all rounders.
A ledger rod has a tippy action, but depending on the casting weight or the species, again it's a generic term and there are many variations of actions that wouldn't suit all species.

Old regurgitated topics, must be the close season. What worries me I didn't recall the original topic just a few months ago.:eek:

No windup Terry just trying to get my head around this rod. Also forgot to mention it is 9ft in length. All 3 of my Avon rods can take a screw in quiver tip or swing tips. The Ledger rod can also take a screw in a quiver. The Ledger rod is from the 70's and is fibreglass. Although it's rated at 1.25, the blank seems a lot stiffer even that of my 1.5. I have Avons in 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5. They are the only rods i use for 99% of my fishing and are Avon rods. My last and 4th rod is a 14ft Drennan acolyte plus float rod. But this see's not much action or daylight.
Ledger to me is a style of fishing. Funny why they would make a ledger rod when a simple Avon can Ledger and also more. Think manufacturers try to earn more money to state this rod is only for this and that rod is only for this.
Getting back to this rod, should i just look at it as a Avon rod as it has the same action and use it how i use my Avons ?( more or less for everything )

Iain, IMHO it doesn't matter what name they stick on a rod...what's important is how it performs. A certain rod might be called a "ledger rod", a "feeder rod", a "Method Feeder rod", a "Puddle Chucker", or an "Avon" by the manufacturer, but what really matters is...does it do the job that you want it to, and do you enjoy using it.
I'm sure a range of rod supplying companies buy the identical blank from a blank manufacturer and put their own name on it..and that name could be Avon, Feeder, Ledger, or whatever.
PS...I used to use a home made fly rod for casting freelined lob-worms across the Severn. It cast it beautifully, and was great fun to use...but it was designed for fly fishing. So giving that rod a name would have been meaningless/misleading...it was just the rod I used for that job :)

Totally agree, Terry. Going to give it ago tomorrow for a bit of free lining and feeder work.

Today I used a 9ft multi tip Roach quiver tip rod with a centre pin, for floater fishing for carp... labels, pah. Tbh though I did exchange it for a 13ft match Rod after a few hours as the carp were giving me the run around and wrecking my swim each time I caught one.

Back