• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

When is an upgrade really an upgrade?

Alan Rose

Senior Member & Supporter
I started writing up an inventory of my rods and reels this weekend. I wanted to take some time to reflect on what I have and what I like or dislike about those things. It also gave me the opportunity to think clearly about any items I may want to upgrade and why.

One of the rods I have a question mark against is a 13’ Maver Reactorlite Match 2. They are rated to 8lb mainline (for what that’s worth) and Maver apparently claimed they could deadlift 2kg (I’ve not tried it, but I did have a go with the Match 1 which- it was claimed- would lift 1kg. It was true!) At 187g the rod isn’t light in comparison with some of today’s offerings, but it’s very slim for all that and obviously powerful.

Anyway, I was looking at potential upgrades currently on the market, and the Acolyte Specimen seems an obvious choice… but is it really an upgrade? Sure it’s a few grams lighter, but not enough to make it seriously different (weighs the same as my Match 1 as it happens). Maybe better handle; probably not better guides. Finish? Subjective. I like the shiny Maver finish. I might get £75-£80 for a Match 2, but is the Acolyte (or whatever else) £125 or so better than what I’ve got?

In short, when is an upgrade really an upgrade?

*Disclaimer: this is more of a rhetorical question for me. I’m interested in what your answer would be for you, not in why I should buy x, y or z 😇

I don't upgrade, I'm not after the holy grail. I try and do as much research as I can before buying an item, and then stick with it. It took me 18 months to decide which match rods to buy back in the 90s, and I've still got and use them today. Same with most of my match gear. I bought a ridiculously priced match pole back then, that was top of the range. No good nowadays - not strong enough for todays commercial dominated match fishing, but I still use it for the lighter side of fishing. I've still got an old AS1 box that is the only box I've got. It all does the job I want it to.

I've only got 4 Barbel rods. I'm happy with them, so see no need to try and better them.

I started writing up an inventory of my rods and reels this weekend. I wanted to take some time to reflect on what I have and what I like or dislike about those things. It also gave me the opportunity to think clearly about any items I may want to upgrade and why.

One of the rods I have a question mark against is a 13’ Maver Reactorlite Match 2. They are rated to 8lb mainline (for what that’s worth) and Maver apparently claimed they could deadlift 2kg (I’ve not tried it, but I did have a go with the Match 1 which- it was claimed- would lift 1kg. It was true!) At 187g the rod isn’t light in comparison with some of today’s offerings, but it’s very slim for all that and obviously powerful.

Anyway, I was looking at potential upgrades currently on the market, and the Acolyte Specimen seems an obvious choice… but is it really an upgrade? Sure it’s a few grams lighter, but not enough to make it seriously different (weighs the same as my Match 1 as it happens). Maybe better handle; probably not better guides. Finish? Subjective. I like the shiny Maver finish. I might get £75-£80 for a Match 2, but is the Acolyte (or whatever else) £125 or so better than what I’ve got?

In short, when is an upgrade really an upgrade?

*Disclaimer: this is more of a rhetorical question for me. I’m interested in what your answer would be for you, not in why I should buy x, y or z 😇
It’s a question that can’t be answered correctly because an upgrade to me might be a step backwards to you.

Going back to the rod …… would I pay £125 for something 10g lighter?……. For me it depends where that 10g is.
For others they care less about the location and every gram matters
For others 10g is insufficient to warrant any amount of cash being spent.

I’m certainly not going to do it out of a book overall weight because that doesn’t tell me anything. However if you tell me the top section alone on the acolyte is 6g lighter than the top section of the maver then that is absolutely a worth while upgrade and 125 quid is a bargain.

If it’s 20g lighter and all in the butt section then no i wouldn’t bother because quite frankly thats not beneficial at all and in some cases it’s actually worse and makes the rod feel heavier.
I think upgrades are very subjective to a person’s needs and wants.

Look at phones ….. particularly iPhones.
Brand new one comes out practically the same phone as the one before but with a bigger camera zoom or an extra couple hours of battery life. A lot of people go mad for it. Gotta have it and the additional cost on the contract is irrelevant.

I’d say order one Alan put some line through it and compare it to your Maver if you don’t feel it’s worth the extra send it back it’s cost you £15 postage

I think a lot of us just enjoy procuring fishing gear? A perfectly normal obsession.
I’d go for it Alan, it might just fit your style of angling perfectly and even it’s psychosomatic and the excitement of a new toy gets you on the bank a bit more or your confidence increases by 10% ( obviously its impossible to measure this) then its worth it in my book
If not, move it on if you wish
Just my personal opinion as I respect everyone gets different things from their fishing
P. S . - good reminder to update my inventory list for insurance purposes

For me, half the fun of the fair is trying new (to me) gear. However, nothing is an upgrade, at least until it's been used enough to justify being called that. It's also the reason I tend to keep hold of rods that I've replaced. Unless I happen to be fishing a lot at the time, no rod is likely to be deemed an upgrade, and an old rod redundant, inside six months.

I came back to fishing after a 50 year gap. Sales pitches such as "last a lifetime" had no interest for me for obvious reasons. I decided to play with reels and then later, rods. Settled on chosen reels early on and rarely dabbled since. I have been lucky to try literally dozens of rods over the years. Ebay has been great as it agave me the chance to buy at less than normal retail price, use and sell on if I felt there was likely to be something I might enjoy more out there! For example I went through virtually all the daiwa shorter range feeders 9-13, from pro , rs, slr, up to air. Apart from the barbel, I think I had all the hardy rods in one variation or another, of the 20 or so just 2 are memorable. I was not looking for perfection just what I found nice to use. I regret that I did not keep to a specific need but lost years probably killed chances of that. Enjoy what you have, seek others if only just for knowledge and fun it brings. I set a annual budget of half the cost of golfing membership had I taken that up. Proved adequate until I indulged myself in peregrines but its been great fun, kept boredom at bay in the winter. I am left with a collection of around a dozen all made up which I an really fond of . The culmination of a 15 year quest if you will. Plus I leave to my executors the problems of disposal, which just serves them right for outliving me! If you can afford it, want it enough, then do it!

Paul’s sentiments echo mine really, part of fishings thrill for me is buying and trying various new kit…especially rod/reels. Some I have kept and whilst they may not be my regular choice I enjoy using them occasionally for a bit of variation; for example my Fox Kevlar/original Stradic 4000 , they don’t compare in quality and performance to my Harrison’s and Thunnus but I love the thrill and nostalgia of using them even if only once a year. Other kit I try and either don’t get on with or have some niggle with them so move them on…all part of the pleasure of it to me. For example I have been pondering getting some Torrix for some time now, I don’t need them but so much positive feedback has been written about them that it has sparked an interest, if I do they might replace my current GTIs but if not I would move them on having ‘scratched that itch’ and had some fun.
If you can afford to get the accy Alan, we all work hard so deserve a few treats from our hard earned, you can’t take it you as they say!

Paul’s sentiments echo mine really, part of fishings thrill for me is buying and trying various new kit…especially rod/reels. Some I have kept and whilst they may not be my regular choice I enjoy using them occasionally for a bit of variation; for example my Fox Kevlar/original Stradic 4000 , they don’t compare in quality and performance to my Harrison’s and Thunnus but I love the thrill and nostalgia of using them even if only once a year. Other kit I try and either don’t get on with or have some niggle with them so move them on…all part of the pleasure of it to me. For example I have been pondering getting some Torrix for some time now, I don’t need them but so much positive feedback has been written about them that it has sparked an interest, if I do they might replace my current GTIs but if not I would move them on having ‘scratched that itch’ and had some fun.
If you can afford to get the accy Alan, we all work hard so deserve a few treats from our hard earned, you can’t take it you as they say!
Alan,
I had the opportunity to put line through a gti and torrix, side by side. Both 11' x 1.75 test.
Wow, the difference is amazing. The gti bends much more and right through to the butt, whilst the Torrix is more progressive ( not really sure what that means !) getting much stiffer in the bottom half.
Was comparing to my Trefor West, which is almost the same as the Torrix.

totally agree with you Alan. We spend a long time looking at the lid!
The torrix action is interesting when compared to the whip like action of so many rods today. It says to me, "this is interesting, what have we hear? Imho Free spirits, basia's et all slam round in a blur! I do have sportex rods incl barbel which fall between the two types, which I find reassuring.

Alan,
I had the opportunity to put line through a gti and torrix, side by side. Both 11' x 1.75 test.
Wow, the difference is amazing. The gti bends much more and right through to the butt, whilst the Torrix is more progressive ( not really sure what that means !) getting much stiffer in the bottom half.
Was comparing to my Trefor West, which is almost the same as the Torrix.
I have the 1.75 in 11 and 12. They ooze not just class, being peregrine, but gentile refinement if that doesn't sound too silly. to apply to a fishing rod. Its a" what's the rush?" feeling.

Some good comments here- thank you for bothering to reply :)

This thread is already moving toward a discussion of Torrix rods (quelle surprise!) and that's okay. I'll just mention that I appreciate the general sense of "Go for it!", "You can't take it with you..." and "If you can afford it..." etc., but it's not so much a question of affording new gear or not.

I think Richard got closest to what I was feeling but couldn't articulate- a true upgrade needs to be a substantial improvement on the tool you are using given its specific application. I was reluctant to swap and change a perfectly good rod- a very good rod in some circumstances- for a new one that might only be a little better. On reflection, it really isn't the rod I need for what I want to do, therefore I'll press on with the upgrade when I have raised a few quid from selling my son's teeth (joking).

I will sell my Maver though... now, anyone fancy it? 🤣

Some good comments here- thank you for bothering to reply :)

This thread is already moving toward a discussion of Torrix rods (quelle surprise!) and that's okay. I'll just mention that I appreciate the general sense of "Go for it!", "You can't take it with you..." and "If you can afford it..." etc., but it's not so much a question of affording new gear or not.

I think Richard got closest to what I was feeling but couldn't articulate- a true upgrade needs to be a substantial improvement on the tool you are using given its specific application. I was reluctant to swap and change a perfectly good rod- a very good rod in some circumstances- for a new one that might only be a little better. On reflection, it really isn't the rod I need for what I want to do, therefore I'll press on with the upgrade when I have raised a few quid from selling my son's teeth (joking).

I will sell my Maver though... now, anyone fancy it? 🤣
I was expecting Alan, tales of manufacturers " improved models" being retrograde steps. At least 2 ranges I followed proved that cost savings detracted. The problem is what defines improve, which is where you came in. Good luck with your choice. Sorry for time waste. I am packed, car loaded etc for decoy lakes today but put back to Thursday now so had to get through the day somehow. Ha! Grass is cut etc.

I was expecting Alan, tales of manufacturers " improved models" being retrograde steps. At least 2 ranges I followed proved that cost savings detracted. The problem is what defines improve, which is where you came in. Good luck with your choice. Sorry for time waste. I am packed, car loaded etc for decoy lakes today but put back to Thursday now so had to get through the day somehow. Ha! Grass is cut etc.
No time waste Alec, it’s all good conversation 😊

An upgrade is a step up in performance to what you already have for that purpose.

In some cases it may be an upgrade because of quality etc.

Well strangely enough Alan there is a Match 1 and 2 of your rods on ebay that I noted early yesterday. Same comment re lifting 2kg for the 2

Back