• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Which Socks?

Ben Whitehouse

With the start of the season being so wet albeit warm I have found it a pain wearing my wellies as they are far more suited to my winter fishing. So I've decided to put them back in the shed and just get some new fishing boots..So my latest gortex boots are hopefully a lot more breathable .... Anyway it got me thinking - which socks do people tend to wear when they are out?

Do you wear thick walking socks even in summer or do you wear just a standard sports sock or even ankle socks? I'm sick of ruining mine ! Sure the mrs is too!

But of a random one but just wondered what people use...

I find ankle socks are too short, I like to tuck my trousers in if there are mozzies about.

Any type as long (no pun intended) as they are long enough.

With the start of the season being so wet albeit warm I have found it a pain wearing my wellies as they are far more suited to my winter fishing. So I've decided to put them back in the shed and just get some new fishing boots..So my latest gortex boots are hopefully a lot more breathable .... Anyway it got me thinking - which socks do people tend to wear when they are out?

Do you wear thick walking socks even in summer or do you wear just a standard sports sock or even ankle socks? I'm sick of ruining mine ! Sure the mrs is too!

But of a random one but just wondered what people use...

We have four men in our house, what ever is left.:rolleyes:

Good question Ben, in the summer it's 1000mile fusion walking socks. They wick away sweat well and are fairly cool to rove in.

Winter it's thermal socks (the name eludes me) with muck boots.

We have four men in our house, what ever is left.:rolleyes:

Communal living at its finest.

I just keep putting on extra socks till me wellies feel snug. Had 3 pairs on for 36 hours non-stop at the weekend. That's just on me right foot though, only 2 pairs (one normal, one thick winter walking) on me left foot which is bigger. And I did take me wellies off overnight (no night fishing & camping on banks not allowed where I was, so I camped rough not far from the river).

Alpaca fibre socks - the only socks I now where when wearing walking boots in summer. They look like they would be be far too warm and I was very skeptical when first given a pair, but in reality they are the coolest and comfortable walking socks I've ever worn. The alpaca has a natural way of wicking away moisture, I believe a lot of joggers use them as well these days. I use a basic proprietary brand that the MIL brings over with her from Switzerland.

Back