• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whitlock landing net. Replacement net.

Chris Allcock

Hello everyone. I am after a net replacement for my whitlock. 18x 24" fairly deep decent size mesh holes. I can't be dealing with trying to land a fish in the current with inadequate holes for the water to pass through. Might aswell use a plastic bag. Can anyone recommend a good quality net?

Many fanks
Chris.

Maybe measure a similar net at an angling shop and transplant the net. A good quality spoon is less than £30 and getting one made would probably cost as much. I've done this with my Whitlock a few years ago.

Hello everyone. I am after a net replacement for my whitlock. 18x 24" fairly deep decent size mesh holes. I can't be dealing with trying to land a fish in the current with inadequate holes for the water to pass through. Might aswell use a plastic bag. Can anyone recommend a good quality net?

Many fanks
Chris.
Hi Chris, It will be an easier job by finding the circumference of your net , and then checking out the sizes against what is available . I make net frames from steamed bent ash or laminated bamboo, and trying to find a net is a nightmare unless I make them to a size I am familiar with..really all this amounts to is measuring the length of the net around where it slides onto the frame I.E the circumference if it is round, or if it is triangular then the length of the three sides of the frame etc.

I normally use Snowbee replacement knotless mesh , which comes in 3 sizes plus one with larger mesh for Salmon. The mesh is traditional diamond pattern . If you can tell me circumference of your frame I can measure mine and see if a Snowbee will fit it if you like , it may take a few days as I am on Holiday atm, and my own nets are under a pile of “stuff” in the car.

D66AC164-1309-4055-B258-329371B45687.jpeg

David.

Hi Chris, It will be an easier job by finding the circumference of your net , and then checking out the sizes against what is available . I make net frames from steamed bent ash or laminated bamboo, and trying to find a net is a nightmare unless I make them to a size I am familiar with..really all this amounts to is measuring the length of the net around where it slides onto the frame I.E the circumference if it is round, or if it is triangular then the length of the three sides of the frame etc.

I normally use Snowbee replacement knotless mesh , which comes in 3 sizes plus one with larger mesh for Salmon. The mesh is traditional diamond pattern . If you can tell me circumference of your frame I can measure mine and see if a Snowbee will fit it if you like , it may take a few days as I am on Holiday atm, and my own nets are under a pile of “stuff” in the car.

View attachment 16293

David.
Sweet baby jesus and the orphans, that net is stunning, I'd be scared to use it. What an amazing work of art!. Thank you David I will give it a measure. 👍🏻👏🏻

View attachment 16293

David.
Hello David.
It's a pear shaped net head.
The circumference of the net is 80",
(24" across width, 30" length and net depth is 33" ish)
God knows where I got 18"×24" from.
Thank David

Chris..

Hi Chris ,
Your net frame should fit one of these .

A80312F3-7804-4E52-B282-DE6145079294.png

When it arrives the mesh feels very thin. After a few dunkings it will thicken up a little but not enough to cause drag . I have fitted the above to probably 15 traditional net frames as per the one in my orig photo with no problems so far . Just google Snowbee replacement nets for suppliers . The 15030 number is the one you need to quote .

David

Thank you Richard & Chris, it is one of several different types in fact in a couple of weeks I will be delivering a 6 ft pole of a differrent pattern to a BFW member, he already has a large Ash framed net I made a while back , my problem was that Covid and the ship that blocked the Suez Canal had made obtaining any suitable bamboo impossible .
Hopefully as things ease re Covid we will all manage to get back on track .

David

Back