• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Whose good for pellets?

Bob-does freezing pellets have any real effect on them in your opinion?
I asked Hinders the same question, & their reply was a bit...vague, to say the least!
Regards,
Rod

Originally did freezing pellets as a bit of an experiment as some pellets seemed to go off more rapidly than others. I occasionally took a frozen few out, examined them and then tried them in a fishing situation and still caught fish after many years so guess that the fish were still finding them attractive. Always preferred fresh baits and aware of the potential hazards.

Another point regarding freezing, I try to freeze base mixes when I can and have used these with sucess after many years. Whether fresh outfishes old or frozen is another thing and persnally prefer to use fresh when I can - especially milks - but that's just me.

Always been a bit unhappy with variations in certain commercial baits and the reasons given for the change.

Reckon a lot of the commercial bait scene is a bit of a 'con', based on my limited experience.

Cheers and regards,
Bob

Hinders Chris. Why change because of the shape, the recipe is still the same.
I cut a flat on 2 large cylindrical elips and glue them back to back on the hair.
Job done and results no different

Yes, I do the same with the WCB version. The old T7 elips were the best I found.

Seven valley Barbel baits do a good variety of flavoured pellet hook baits

Hinders Chris. Why change because of the shape, the recipe is still the same.
I cut a flat on 2 large cylindrical elips and glue them back to back on the hair.
Job done and results no different

The original elips, which contained the astaxanthin ingredient, was far and away the best, all other versions including the current and final elliptical version, were massively inferior in my own experience. I'd also say that over the years, the ingredients changed many times, based on colour, smell and texture?

Not ******** in anyones bait fridge, but personally I've lost all confidence in hinders elips.

Bfw Salips had a slightly faster breakdown than the original 'Elips' and also contained astaxanthin - which acted as both pigment and powerful anti-oxidant.

Some ingredients will often change (white fish meal for example) depending on seasonal and economic availablity.

Lots of pellets (now and in the past) are produced in vast quantities for commercial fish farming and very often bagged up and redistributed under different names at large profits.

If you have the equipment, it's possible to pelletise particular formulations.

So called 'flavoured' pellets are just that - commercial pellets with a smattering of flavour. Easy to produce your own flavoured pellets with various attractants if you feel the need.

The original elips, which contained the astaxanthin ingredient, was far and away the best, all other versions including the current and final elliptical version, were massively inferior in my own experience. I'd also say that over the years, the ingredients changed many times, based on colour, smell and texture?

Not ******** in anyones bait fridge, but personally I've lost all confidence in hinders elips.

Fair enough Neil, I guess a lot of it also comes down to confidence. I can honestly say that my catches haven't suffered whatsoever.
I was a little alarmed at first when the old elliptical pellets ceased, but I kept faith and with all my summer barbel fishing done in clear water I have watched the fishes behaviour when my hinders pellets are introduced and am as happy today as I have always been with them.

Regards John

Glad to hear it John.

Another pellet of Hinders, which I liked was the 3mm high betain, which I used to blend with small and medium elips; however this is another pellet which has disappeared off the market :(

Craig , those WCB pellets just look a normal round pellet shape ???

It says elips on the bag in the photo?

Yes they are round unlike the old elipticle pellet, but the last lot of so called elipse pellets I had from Hinders lost their colour in no time and didn’t seem as oily as the elipse I’ve had before.
The WCB pellets are what I expected, only as you say round.

Back