• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

X line

It's all a bit confusing this, Martin Bowler swears by this stuff... thinking more than ever mono main line and 2/3 feet of braid gives about the most natural presentation, good enough for Bob Roberts etc.

I know Neil, it confuses the hell out of me too. I didn't get on at all with the original Daiwa sensor either. Never used it since my first experience, so again, the thousands of fans of that line suggest that it is now better. Either that, or they buy it 'cos it's cheap :D. I also did NOT like Gardner's GT80, much preferring the older GR60. Neither did I particularly like Krystonite.

I think it may be to do with the fact that if I like a line, it is the kiss of death for it. My all time favourite was Shimano Catana, followed by the original Fox Soft Steel....both of which have now been discontinued. Are they trying to tell me something :D:D .Mind you, I rather liked Gold Label's Pro Gold as a bomb proof if rather brutal line, and that is still available.

As I say mate, each to their own. I think I am rather heavily influenced by first impressions. Perhaps I would do well to treat line as I do all Fox tackle...wait until the mark three version comes out, because by then there is a reasonable chance that the product will have finished it's testing stage and be pretty good :D:eek::D

Cheers, Dave.

I've got spools of 10lb and 12lb in the cupboard and that's where they'll be staying. Lost two fish on the Avon through breakages, giving them their heads in snag free water, just steady pressure from a correctly set clutch using X-line hooklengths. My traces are pre-tied at home and tested. I test them again on the rod against the clutch.
I went back to using Drennan Fluoro Carbon Fly Leader and then when it was recommended Daiwa Floorit in clear 12lb, I've got some 10lb on order. I've used both makes on the Wye with no problems though if the hooklink is damaged in anyway, however minor, I change it. Mainline is GR6o on Floorit.

It's all a bit confusing this, Martin Bowler swears by this stuff... thinking more than ever mono main line and 2/3 feet of braid gives about the most natural presentation, good enough for Bob Roberts etc.

And are Mr Bowler or Mr Roberts sponsored by DAIWA ?

I think one of them recently spent 3 days on the Wye without a bite so maybe its got fish aversion properties?

For the money i wasnt impressed. Not awfull but not good enough when maxima or sensor are so much cheaper and more reliable...like so many have said i am not convinced by the zero viz properties of even clean fluoro. Take a length snorkelling with you when next somewhere warm enough and you will see what i mean. As soon as i finish these spools off its back to the basics.

Bob Roberts is a Daiwa 'consultant ' so he will know a good line when he see's one :)

And without prejudice :) But he does like his Drennan Sink Braid, a product that has been criticised on here too, I use it and it seems just fine, as I say it can get a bit confusing, but all I 'think' I understand is a fish will spook on any line it feels, don't think whether it's visible or not to our eyes matters as much as we might think.

Neil, as you are probably aware, there is a theory which claims that if a fish can easily see a line, it will not spook it if it bumps into it....because it already knows it's there. On the other hand...if it really can't see the line and then bumps into it, it will be as spooked as hell...a bit like if someone in a dark room touches you, and you didn't know they were there. So, whatever the truth is, invisible or not, that makes X Line a no-hoper :D:D

To my mind, X line works because it sinks so well. Your hook link will hug the bottom, so doesn't seem so obvious to the fish in the immediate vicinity of your bait. The point is, you have to weigh that advantage up against the serious disadvantages that many have noted.

Cheers, Dave.

Its not for me; however I know someone who uses X-Line in 15lb and 17lb BS for Barbel, year round and regardless of conditions, because its what he's spool up with and he's used it for a number of years.

He's had some very good fish from the Dove (several over 14lb) and has never had issues with breakages.

Each to their own.

Also some people rave about Pro-Clear; however my own tests showed that the 12lb BS, broke at nearer 9lb so it got binned!

Neil, as you are probably aware, there is a theory which claims that if a fish can easily see a line, it will not spook it if it bumps into it....because it already knows it's there. On the other hand...if it really can't see the line and then bumps into it, it will be as spooked as hell...a bit like if someone in a dark room touches you, and you didn't know they were there. So, whatever the truth is, invisible or not, that makes X Line a no-hoper :D:D

To my mind, X line works because it sinks so well. Your hook link will hug the bottom, so doesn't seem so obvious to the fish in the immediate vicinity of your bait. The point is, you have to weigh that advantage up against the serious disadvantages that many have noted.

Cheers, Dave.
Good points Dave, and I subscribe to that theory if they can see it it won't spook them. All I know every day I seem to get a little bit more confused as to rigs as to what is the 'best'.
Looking back when I caught my fair share of good Warks Avon Barbel, when they were there of course:rolleyes: The rig was so simple, Mono line mono hook lengths, Berkley clear 10lb hair rigged 14mm pellet on a size 10 or 8, on a free running lead, and you know I didn't miss many bites.
But now I am so much better informed Ha!:)

Back