Barbel Fishing World

Go Back   Barbel Fishing World Forums > Message Boards > Barbel Talk

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 17:59

Keith's ramblings on his and Mike's prebaiting.

http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/vbullet...e-baiting.html
Old 01-11-2017, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Watt View Post
Thank you for the content guys.

I've actually met Mike a few times, we seem to fish similar stretches.

EDIT: Think ive bumped into Ian also... small world!
Your name rings a bell Daniel, but i can't bring your face to mind
Old 02-11-2017, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
Your name rings a bell Daniel, but i can't bring your face to mind
Perhaps from our members facebook group
Old 06-11-2017, 21:55

Do baiting campaigns for barbel work! In a word yes. 95% of my barbel fishing is on the Thames, the barbel can be very nomadic and move over large distances. They can spend time in areas that you cannot fish such as weir pools, so its an advantage to bait an area that you think they will pass through. I bait up with boilies ( chop ups) and hemp. Hemp is the key as bream can eat boilies quicker than my labrador, so they will not get every grain. I use big baits ( water temp allowing) and use a long hair with a loop in it so you can use two boilies ( i use 20mm) and have a gap between them, they can get one in but not both. Its hard work making your own bait and baiting up every other day but the rewards are there. A few years ago we had 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's a 17 and the then Thames record of just over 18 plus lots of big chub to well over 7. As i said it is hard work and we still do it but we are both mad.
Old 06-11-2017, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cooper View Post
Do baiting campaigns for barbel work! In a word yes. 95% of my barbel fishing is on the Thames, the barbel can be very nomadic and move over large distances. They can spend time in areas that you cannot fish such as weir pools, so its an advantage to bait an area that you think they will pass through. I bait up with boilies ( chop ups) and hemp. Hemp is the key as bream can eat boilies quicker than my labrador, so they will not get every grain. I use big baits ( water temp allowing) and use a long hair with a loop in it so you can use two boilies ( i use 20mm) and have a gap between them, they can get one in but not both. Its hard work making your own bait and baiting up every other day but the rewards are there. A few years ago we had 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's a 17 and the then Thames record of just over 18 plus lots of big chub to well over 7. As i said it is hard work and we still do it but we are both mad.
Thanks for that insight into targeting low density nomadic populations. Do you use lots of hemp or simply keep it available?
Old 06-11-2017, 22:53

Hi Stephen, As i said hemp is the key. We use lots of it and mix it 50 50 with pigeon conditioner. You can use a bait dropper or spod when no flow and shallow or mix it with ground bait and use a catapult. A shoal of Thames bream will get through kilos of boilies in no time, so using hemp will mean there is some bait for the barbel. We have found if you start catching bream the barbel will follow. some of our captures after baiting up will happen as soon as you start fishing. I always think that barbel caught well into dark are fish that are moving through the area, as they have eaten all the food in the area they were in and were on the look out for food. Send me a pm if you want a chat. Paul.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:03

Paul, no use starting a prebaiting program in low temperatures mate, try around mid february the temps should be better mate
Old 07-11-2017, 10:23

I agree. Its a bit late in the season but some of our best catches came as the first frosts arrive, they know they need to eat as it may be their last chance for some time. Mr Robb and i will start again when he returns from his five weeks in Spain, weather permitting.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:38

Good Luck to you both Paul.

You put the effort in a deserve the potential rewards. Fingers x for you.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:53

Thanks Graham, How is the Wye fishing? Had a few trips there this season and caught a good number up to nine pounds. Its nice to fish a river with a bit of flow. The Thames has produced good number of barbel so far and rumours are saying there has been a monster of over twenty out but you know what the rumour mill is like. Tight lines Paul.