• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A nice day out and some "perhaps" alternative ideas?

I remember seeing JW using the shotgun cartridge in one of the early episodes of Go Fishing, I thought at the time it was a great idea and promptly added on to my tackle box, I never did get round to using it though and it is nice to see it in print here.

How long though I wonder before we get a thread asking 'What shotgun cartridge?' :)

A word to the wise Adrian!

The 155mm cases are difficult to cast and do not float well:D:D

Great idea and article Keith, do you remember ( I think it was Passion
for Angling) when the bait was placed on a leaf and allowed to flow downstream until it was in the required place.

Micky

A thoroughly enjoyable read, Keith, and one that gets the grey matter kicking in. I loved the shotgun cartridge idea and will be adapting this to certain swims I have access to when the summer comes around (or possibly before for winter chubbing). As they say: "necessity is the mother of invention!"

I used to fish at Colnbrook, on, I think? The Colnbrook!
With my old friend Keith Sellick (drowned on a work party on Savay, the same day Ayrton Senna died, 1st May 1994)!

The river went under a road, quite a wide dual carriageway as I remember, and there were two large pipes, we could sit either side of the river and fish a pipe each.
Our method was quite simple and bait consisted of a lump of cheese paste, some luncheon meat and a large pot of Lobworms, we also had a large sliced loaf each, but this was not for bait so much as it was for getting our tackle as far under the pipe as we could.

We would both set up a simple link ledger with a couple of swan shot pinched on a loop of nylon, the hook length was about 18inches and the hook was nearly always a size 6 eyed.

We would bait the hook with whichever bait, take a slice of bread and push the swan shot through the slice, we would then lower the slice and gear into the water and let it flow into and down the pipe with the bail arm open, initially we would let the bait hang from the slice, but once we found the fish we would just nip the hook point into the crust so that it pulled free with a slight jerk.

We would then gauge the flow and time the slice down the pipe, 10 seconds for 7 yards and so on, while carefully watching the line.
If the line jerked or pulled tight we would strike and hopefully catch a Chub.
If we missed the bite, we would simply wind in and go over the process again, but this time pulling the tackle free at 18 seconds or what ever the time was for the bite.

Sometimes the Chub would be 10 yards down some times 20 yards, and sometimes there were more than one school of fish, so you could take one from the further school and next “cast” fish for the closer fish.

We never ever blanked on this spot and on our best day we had 25 Chub 13 for Keith and 12 for me (in those days we used keepnets), and our best fish was a Chub of 5lb 8oz (I suspect we both had the same fish, on different days, but from the same pipe).

Usually the bites were spectacular and I have to say it was great fun!

Then one close season the river was polluted (I think by idiots at Heathrow airport) and that was the end of our fishing!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have not remembered that for a long time, happy days fishing with Keith, we both worked as Saturday boys in Chubb’s of Edgware.

It was while fishing with Keith that I met Prince Charles, but that as they say is another story!:D

Tight lines.

Last edited:
A book? Two or three at least! :)

Brilliant reads Keith, the detail, thoughts and tails of encounters make it so. The shotgun cartridge method is a jem - let's hope it inspires lots of river anglers to create their own empty cartridges, crow quills are usefull but any large black bird will do. ;)

Keith, all this is great but could you do the Zander book first please, you KNOW I need help :)

An interesting and informative read. Reminds me a little of Mr Crabtree which I found compulsive reading as a young man.

A thoroughly enjoyable read and thought provoking Keith. Good stuff, keep them coming please.

keith, its about time you and mike ran us up some short stories of some of your fishing trips mate, you are both a wealth of not only knowledge but also great humour and tell an interesting story, come on mate and lets have some
while the time is here rather than too late mate:)

Great read Keith , I remember reading a similar story many years ago , I think in the Angling Times . Instead of a shot gun cartridge , The guy who wrote the story used a cigar tube with enough plasticine stuck in the bottom for it to float upright . I know a few swims on the W/Avon where it may work :)

keith, its about time you and mike ran us up some short stories of some of your fishing trips mate, you are both a wealth of not only knowledge but also great humour and tell an interesting story, come on mate and lets have some
while the time is here rather than too late mate:)

Hi John, hope you are well.

Re: Mike. this may be of interest to you. Archives For Big Carp | Big Carps | Big Carp Magazine
A brilliant read.

(Sorry to hijack your thread Keith) :eek:

Back