• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A nice day out and some "perhaps" alternative ideas?

Proper angler you are Mr Speer.

You always make me want to try harder.

Trotting gear is out ready for the weekend.

I know what you mean about Keith making you want to try harder Con, but he just depresses the hell out of me. Sadly, I am all too well aware that all those things he does with such consummate ease are a million miles from anything I could hope to achieve. And then he just happens to be equally tallented at putting it all into words to boot. I just take comfort from the fact that he is totally cr*p at shaving :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave, hope alls well with you too,
as for me, still, still snoring, not much fishing but next years the start of my NEW LFE:) still getting around but now got a bad case of gout:eek:
every time i think of the thames in late summer my memories take over of lazy evenings and nice fishing :)

Great read Keith, I think i know were your talking about to. If so i know some friends that belong to that club. And they have had fish of that size on hemp and tares them selves.I am hopeing to join the same this year to get in for next season.

absolutly brilliant idea with the cartridge, did you think that up keith or is it something you picked up along the way

Blimey!!

I had forgotten all about this one, no, sadly not my idea, my dad used to "go on the shotgun" sometimes when fishing for Chub under a long line of bushes that overhung the river Kennet on a section we used to fish.
He would do it exactly as I described, let it run right under the bushes for 5-10 yds and then jiggle the cartridge, hold the line tight and let the tackle swing tight in under the bank.

The bites were always spectacular as alway seems the way when you present a bait where others often don't.

This particular swim was a favourite from the other bank, the match boys would fish the waggler hard over, using maggot or caster.
The Chub WOULD come out for constant feed but were proper clued up about weight of hook length and size of hook, you would see them having the loose feed but if your presentation was not right, the Chub would swerve the baited hook with ease.
Yet these same fish would hammer a large lump of flake "on the shotgun" even at mid day on snag fishing type tackle.

Fish of all species will behave differently, depending upon whether they feel "safe" or are being "wary"!

I well remember fishing on the Kennet for Barbel when luncheon meat first took off in a big way.
Barbel would often bolt away from a cube of meat in " the usual spots" while the very same fish would happily accept a cube of meat presented in an area where they felt "safe".

I always try and look at the problem of where to fish from the point of view of the fishes instinct for its own safety,.
Sometimes it works!

Tight lines all.

Des Taylor described the cartridge technique some years ago as it happens. So this is a sort of parallel evolution. Excellent angling, beyond most of us.

Blimey!!

I had forgotten all about this one, no, sadly not my idea, my dad used to "go on the shotgun" sometimes when fishing for Chub under a long line of bushes that overhung the river Kennet on a section we used to fish.
He would do it exactly as I described, let it run right under the bushes for 5-10 yds and then jiggle the cartridge, hold the line tight and let the tackle swing tight in under the bank.

The bites were always spectacular as alway seems the way when you present a bait where others often don't.

This particular swim was a favourite from the other bank, the match boys would fish the waggler hard over, using maggot or caster.
The Chub WOULD come out for constant feed but were proper clued up about weight of hook length and size of hook, you would see them having the loose feed but if your presentation was not right, the Chub would swerve the baited hook with ease.
Yet these same fish would hammer a large lump of flake "on the shotgun" even at mid day on snag fishing type tackle.

Fish of all species will behave differently, depending upon whether they feel "safe" or are being "wary"!

I well remember fishing on the Kennet for Barbel when luncheon meat first took off in a big way.
Barbel would often bolt away from a cube of meat in " the usual spots" while the very same fish would happily accept a cube of meat presented in an area where they felt "safe".

I always try and look at the problem of where to fish from the point of view of the fishes instinct for its own safety,.
Sometimes it works!

Tight lines all.

Great article Keith. The cartridges are now available on an online site now but with a swivel sited in the base. Do you feel that this arrangement would offer any advantage/disadvantage over the original arrangement of a snap link through the top edge of the cartridge ?

Great article Keith. The cartridges are now available on an online site now but with a swivel sited in the base. Do you feel that this arrangement would offer any advantage/disadvantage over the original arrangement of a snap link through the top edge of the cartridge ?

Assuming this is serious (which I doubt) then it wouldn't work, at least not without modification. If the swivel is on the inside (surely not?) then you wouldn't be able to reach it to tie the line to it, unless it had an extending loop attached or similar. If it's fixed to the outside of the base, then you couldn't cast it without spilling its contents...unless it also had a guiding eye near the top, in a similar position to Keith's dad's original. Which would then beg the question...why not just use the original idea in the first place :D

Cheers, Dave.

I don't know who is being serious or not, but i remember reading this first time around and thinking what a clever idea. Probably been asked before but, no longer having access to shotgun cartridge, does anyone think that this would work with the old 35mm film cases? Iv'e seen them used as feeders before and wondered if they would do the same job.?

Stephen

If memory serves me right . I remember reading an article in the Angling times many moons ago and the guy used a cigar tube with plasticine stuck in the bottom to make it float upright in the water .

This method is actually deadly. I used it a few years back when I held a shotgun certificate and it was cheapish to shoot.

The barbel I caught took off like a shot!

I don't know who is being serious or not, but i remember reading this first time around and thinking what a clever idea. Probably been asked before but, no longer having access to shotgun cartridge, does anyone think that this would work with the old 35mm film cases? Iv'e seen them used as feeders before and wondered if they would do the same job.?

Stephen
In theory it could Stephen but you would have to mess about in the sink at home with plastecine or something to get the bottom end weighting just right .

Back