• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Brazen Otter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do these bloody do gooders think that re introducing these species is a good thing! !!! The same is happening with the red kite, whilst a beautiful thing to watch. They're an apex predator! !!
Does anyone remember when the animal rights group released a load of mink that were being used in the fur trade? They decimated wildlife all around the area.

Complete Muppetry on the grandest of scales.

Indeed. Going back to the video it seemed odd to me that the other chap taking pictures seems to be smiling as he's doing so, obviously enjoying seeing 'nature' at work?! Maybe he's just glad it decided to have an Orfe for breakfast instead of a more expensive Koi.

Thanks for proving my point that wild animals can lose their fear of humans!

Anyway, this anti/pro merry-go-round arguing is pointless, nothing will be done about otters, you can post pointless videos of them eating fish (shock horror), and moan on forums all you like, it won't change that fact. We can however make rivers home to otters and fish if we've got enough clout, and I've yet to hear of any other realistic solutions.

I have read so many posts on here about otters so I thought I might put in my two penny's worth. Where I fish we used to have an otter problem; but not anymore. We did not moan about them, we did not approach any official body, nor did we post endless contradictory drivel on public forums.

What did we do? We trapped them and killed them that's what we did. Now if everybody on here just shut up and did the same thing then problem solved. It needs to be tackled in the same way as we go about catching specimen fish. Keep quiet, choose the place and time carefully, set your trap....job done.

Steve

Thank god for the do-gooders eh! You have to wonder if there'll be anything else left alive in this world, other than us and the animals and plants that 'provide' for us, if it wasn't for them!
Reminds me of a conversation I had with this idiot once who took great pleasure in shooting all the birds on his favourite carp lake just because they had the audacity to eat the anglers bait.
Any more apex predators to add to the kill list? May as well wipe them all out seeing as they're such a terrible inconvenience.
Incredible.

I have read so many posts on here about otters so I thought I might put in my two penny's worth. Where I fish we used to have an otter problem; but not anymore. We did not moan about them, we did not approach any official body, nor did we post endless contradictory drivel on public forums.

What did we do? We trapped them and killed them that's what we did. Now if everybody on here just shut up and did the same thing then problem solved. It needs to be tackled in the same way as we go about catching specimen fish. Keep quiet, choose the place and time carefully, set your trap....job done.

Steve

Trap and kill 'em, don't say a word and post it up on the 'net Hmmmm.

Thank god for the do-gooders eh! You have to wonder if there'll be anything else left alive in this world, other than us and the animals and plants that 'provide' for us, if it wasn't for them!
Reminds me of a conversation I had with this idiot once who took great pleasure in shooting all the birds on his favourite carp lake just because they had the audacity to eat the anglers bait.
Any more apex predators to add to the kill list? May as well wipe them all out seeing as they're such a terrible inconvenience.
Incredible.

I know it's crazy, can't believe the mindset of some, but I beginning to.

And to think that as Anglers we are supposed to care about wildlife, I think some are just interested in catching the biggest, no matter what it takes and to hell with everyone and everything else, sad that it has to be posted on here.

And to think that as Anglers we are supposed to care about wildlife

I think so to :)

Perhaps some people on here are not so caring :mad: i do know of a few who have hurt ( not otter)wild life for fun or anger maybe before and had the cheek to claim they loved wild life after boasting about hurting/ maiming wild life.

if our barbel stocks are being decimated then i for one care far more for them that the wanton killing that the otters do

if our barbel stocks are being decimated then i for one care far more for them that the wanton killing that the otters do

Great but if you can kill otters what to stop anyone else killing what they want to ?
And otters is not the only killing barbel stocks.

anyway if we kill the rest of the barbel stock.... problem solved :D plus i think otters are going to be around a lot longer now than barbel so no point in this tread at all.
unless of course you want to wind up barbel guys

Last edited:
I can see this happening more and more. It happens all over the World; North America, India, Africa etc etc. Wild animals loose a certain amount of their instinctive fear of humans as we encroach on their natural environment. They either want an easy meal or are forced to look elsewhere due to a lack of food in their natural habitat.

The problem with otters does stem from the fact they were successfully reintroduced. They have returned to well stocked waterways, largely free from pollution and no more lethal pesticides are being used by farmers. So they breed and survive at a high level. They get used to seeing people and therefore become almost immune to our presence. There is nothing to stop a huge population explosion of otters. You could argue that eventually nature will balance things but lets be honest, that could take decades and decades to happen. Rivers could well be ruined in our lifetime....well unless you like watching otters that is.

Although I agree that otters ( amongst the many predators) are enjoying the fruirs of the river. The antis, do gooders etc will be watching these posts and using them with fevered revelry as propaganda against the big nasty killing angler.

I understand everyone's passion, but type carefully brother barbellers the wall's have ears.

I sometimes think that anglers worry to much about what others think of us, organisations such as p*** couldn't think worse about anglers no matter what was said, in there minds it should be banned outright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back