• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

End of an era or dawn for change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan- if you have an interest in helping juniors then please get in touch with James Van Gowler (details on the BS website) as James will be leading our junior section which will be going through an overhaul/refresh as part of the future strategy.

Well thats good news Howard.

It was one of the most important aspects of the BS in my opinion.

As one who helped on many of Junior days it was extremely well run, supported and attended.

Lets hope there is enough enthusiasm to get it back to those halcyon days.

Graham

Im probably looking at this from the wrong angle but what the, £35 membership fee and i believe you get 2 magazines a year? Non members can also buy these mags from the website or anyone can read them for free from said website. The annual conference always in the midlands which is not always easy for a lot of anglers plus only £2 cheaper for members entrance fee than for non members, same situation for the local meetings members about £2 cheaper entrance fee...The only thing members seem to gain over non members is the website forum and if you listen to some people on here that place is deserted:( Plus membership is falling at an alarming rate? I know that Pete Reading did a lot of good work and probably still does but what else the B.S. are up i do not know, the members subs, the conference takings, the B.S. auction takings i have no idea what it is used for.....Everytime the B.S. is mentioned on here sparks fly making one think that there must be something amiss so keep clear, mud sticks etc....Theres talk now of 20/20 vision or a new direction and changes for the better, is it just flanel to try to drum up the ailing membership? Who knows.

How the R&C is controlled and the attitude that goes with it is why I will not be joining again. Having attempted to instigate change and faced a brick wall I gave up..... I can now see the error of my ways. I wish the society all the success it deserves based on the results that it produces.....

surely the biggest concern facing the BS is Barbel themselves, the perception/reality that Barbel numbers are plummeting in many rivers does not bode well for it.

Robert.

Unfortunately it appears that some of the BS hierachy don't think there is a problem. Thats an even bigger one.

Graham

Hiya gents,

Graham, as I mentioned on fishingmagic the other day, there will be an update soon regarding all this. That will include your pellet theory. Obviously it's not wise to say much more until the Society and scientist finalize everything and determine the correct, definite route. I'm sure you understand that.
It doesn't matter about 'hierarchy' personal views. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. The BS have listened and something is being done about it buddy. Keep your cool, these things aren't just done with the flick of a switch.
What does suck, is the amount of time we have to spend correcting and defending, it slows everything down. We could just not bother but that doesn't help with clarity and people begin to run wild with the untrue.

Great to hear positive views, especially Dans, hope you can get involved.

The BS are not in favour of Barbel being stocked in still waters and the EA are not against it, so just goes to show that the BS as no influence in the scheme of things.

The BS also fund towards Barbel being stocked in rivers where recruitment is not happening on a regular basis, pointless commercial exercise.

Dont know about Swim Wild Swim Free im beginning to think that small river barbel would be safer in stillwaters.........

Thanks Bobby. But thats the first time I have heard that so it's not surprising I'm frustrated.

Perhaps a whisper to me might have been appropriate.

Lets see.

Graham

I was a member from the start 20 years ago. Stayed a member for 18 years till 2 years ago. Got fed up with all the internal fallouts. Heard strong rumours The Baker or The Cooke is going to be the new Chairman. And The Pope is to be The President. Think that would work well and take the Barbel Society foreward.

Regards Ray Thorpe.

Given the average member is what 50 years old ? I bet there's plenty in the 60+ age bracket and its a FACT not many youngsters are coming into river fishing and people leaving every year and only the odd ones rejoining, can't see how it will work out over the next 20 years.

Junior section ? I belong to one of the best fishing clubs in the south east with over 2,200 members with good still waters and rivers and certified fishing coaches, the full works and the junior section is not very big.

When I posted something similar on the BS forum, it got pulled down. I'm not anti BS because my membership is still valid, but it is a bit of a pipe dream to say the least.

Last edited:
Not a member of BS and i don't know if anyone has a personal Axe to grind on this thread. However i don't think that any question that has been asked about the BS has really been answered. The reply,s given to any questions seem to be a reason why people don't like or are unhappy with the BS in the first place. This is just a personal observation and opinion, and i'm not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way.

Stephen

Not a member of BS and i don't know if anyone has a personal Axe to grind on this thread. However i don't think that any question that has been asked about the BS has really been answered. The reply,s given to any questions seem to be a reason why people don't like or are unhappy with the BS in the first place. This is just a personal observation and opinion, and i'm not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way.

Stephen

Hi Stephen-I'm not sure any specific questions have been asked about the BS itself, but if I have missed them, please point them out. I might also add that this thread was started by Lee Fletcher and the question posed seemed to be based on whether people felt that Steve Pope's rumoured departure from the BS would have a positive or negative impact on membership numbers. It has then led to a variety of responses which broadly seem to be people's experiences, good and bad, of the BS.

All I can say Howard is that I felt badly let down in several situations by some people....no point in saying names..... suffice to say that once my usefulness had gone I was dropped like a lead brick. I suppose that is why I have been more vocal regarding the inactivity before someone saw the light and jumped on board the train...late but at least they were on board. Now after all the talk it will be interesting if anything of real substance in terms of the Barbel population problems comes to pass.
However...like I said earlier...I wish the BS every success it deserves.

It is a great group, with some great people in it!
Not a member any more, I don't think, but mainly because I don't fish, but should be just for the R & C.

I don't think the society does a standing order....so if you do not write a check then you aren't a member Damian......... I am a member of the BASC which fights the corner for all field sports.... and the AT...which appears to now be fighting the corner for the BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back