• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

End of an era or dawn for change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
" suffice to say that once my usefulness had gone I was dropped like a lead brick".

And did we not all tell you that would happen yonks ago Rich?

I think you and your cronies said quite a lot about Rich, Tony, none of it particularly nice.

'19-04-2015, 20:32
Tony Rocca*

Like it will change anything at all Rich.

All this shouting and moaning will come to exactly nothing whatsoever. Just go fishing, you will be happier.
2canes'.
Inspiring stuff Tony!

Damian,
well not going fishing seems to have done you no good at all!

I am really not interested in anything you have to say Dimian, so lets not bother eh!

Stick to fell running with your "friend".

You make me laugh Tony. :)

Lads there's no need for insults:(

Seems that some people are fishing purely for bites. No need for insults as John says.

I for one am truly saddened that Richard Frampton has been let down by the hierarchy he bestowed such loyalty towards in the past. And like many before him, including guys like Tony, there have been many, a great many, who have been loyal to Steve Pope and the organisation he controls. Every single one of these people do not now swear allegiance to him in fact for the majority of these people its the opposite story with many of them feeling disgruntled and let down badly. I do not claim to know the exact reasons why so many once loyal devotees now turn away from Steve Pope and his Barbel Society but for me, the sheer amount of once loyal people who have walked away is damning because they all tell a very similar story.

I have been one of Steve Popes longest protagonists and make no apology for that because I am a staunch supporter of democracy. Over the years, as a member and none member of the BS I have criticised Steve Pope over the lack of democracy and the way he runs the BS. I have always believed that because of the way the BS is being run, the BS would eventually go into demise. I believe exactly that has happened and will continue to happen unless full and open democracy becomes operational akin to how the majority of our fishing clubs operate.

But is it already too late and will the BS survive anyway?

Too little too late will not erase the writing on the wall. Social media has, like it or not, completely taken over in regard to what anglers want for interaction between each other. Long gone are the days when a monthly meeting or twice yearly magazine could ever hope to come close to what facebook offers anglers now a days. Social media, and the vast empire that is our nations fishing clubs is all they require.

The Barbel Society has had its chance. Now it has had its day.

I for one am truly saddened that Richard Frampton has been let down by the hierarchy he bestowed such loyalty towards in the past. And like many before him, including guys like Tony, there have been many, a great many, who have been loyal to Steve Pope and the organisation he controls. Every single one of these people do not now swear allegiance to him in fact for the majority of these people its the opposite story with many of them feeling disgruntled and let down badly. I do not claim to know the exact reasons why so many once loyal devotees now turn away from Steve Pope and his Barbel Society but for me, the sheer amount of once loyal people who have walked away is damning because they all tell a very similar story.

I have been one of Steve Popes longest protagonists and make no apology for that because I am a staunch supporter of democracy. Over the years, as a member and none member of the BS I have criticised Steve Pope over the lack of democracy and the way he runs the BS. I have always believed that because of the way the BS is being run, the BS would eventually go into demise. I believe exactly that has happened and will continue to happen unless full and open democracy becomes operational akin to how the majority of our fishing clubs operate.

But is it already too late and will the BS survive anyway?

Too little too late will not erase the writing on the wall. Social media has, like it or not, completely taken over in regard to what anglers want for interaction between each other. Long gone are the days when a monthly meeting or twice yearly magazine could ever hope to come close to what facebook offers anglers now a days. Social media, and the vast empire that is our nations fishing clubs is all they require.

The Barbel Society has had its chance. Now it has had its day.

Do you represent the future then Lee? Is the golden era which is now upon us one in which you and other like minded individuals start campaigns on this and and other forums aimed specifically at vilifying an individual? For doing what exactly- just not operating in a way that you would like? Is that the crime here?

Why do you feel it necessary to start a campaign aimed at predicting the demise of the BS? If you are so adamant it's going to happen then why not just sit back and watch it unfold. It's a bit weird and slightly creepy that someone would waste their time taking such action. Unless your poor ego has been bruised at some point in the past and you have simply struggled to move on with your life.

I find it utterly cowardly to be honest and you and the others conducting themselves on other forums where they have not yet been banned, should be embarrassed by your actions. It shows you all to be nothing more than crass, pathetic bullies.

Hi men ,

As a moderator , as I'm sure the whole team feel , when a post about the BS comes up we are just waiting for it to possibly go downhill . It would be wrong just to stop posts because we know that it could to happen , because it's a forum , and people all have their own views on the subjects, and as such should be able to express there opinions without the thread resorting to personal insults .

In this case people are purely repeating themselves now , with the normal snipes between people that have "history" from the past . If things just detiriate with no useful imput , personal insults , or just what the site is about chatting with each other , then the thread will end up locked off , something I hate happening . Try and keep it constructive , on subject , but I think most of it has been said .

Hatter

I agree Mark.

Howard seems very fond of accusing folks of being "cowardly". I don't know why, its just opinions on the BS and the way its run being expressed........ everyone can have an opinion.
You are right though, such threads all go down hill, best stop trying to promote the BS on here then maybe. ;)

Hi men ,

Tony , technically the thread is about the demise of the BS , hardly promoting it . It's not only the BS that get the opertunity to show what they are up to , threads on other barbel related groups , charity events , even other species do in fact have threads about them .

There are plenty of people like me around , not a member of the BS , and really have no strong views on the subject either way , but I see the value of threads for people to know what's going on who are interested .

Hatter

As a neutral looking in, i find in quite amusing. The mayweather/pacquiao tickets sold for thousands. I,m sure a Pope/Rocca bout would draw just as much/if not more attention. :D. As for my prediction, i,ll bet deciding referee, Howard C, calls it a draw. :D

For gods sake guys, lets stop all this bickering and get on with the sport we all love, each to their own. If you,ve been bit on the a**e in the past, so what, get over it, life,s too short. MOVE ON AND STOP BITCHING.

Like Derek i am neutral but if the BS can help reverse the decline in Barbel then i dont really care how its run or whose in charge, i had considered joining in the past but didnt think it was particularly good value IMO

As a neutral looking in, i find in quite amusing. The mayweather/pacquiao tickets sold for thousands. I,m sure a Pope/Rocca bout would draw just as much/if not more attention. :D. As for my prediction, i,ll bet deciding referee, Howard C, calls it a draw. :D

For gods sake guys, lets stop all this bickering and get on with the sport we all love, each to their own. If you,ve been bit on the a**e in the past, so what, get over it, life,s too short. MOVE ON AND STOP BITCHING.

I know what you mean Derek and I have no doubt many would look in on threads such as this and be either perplexed, slight amused or even very amused and there is of course something in the human make-up that almost compels us to watch drama of whatever kind take place. Not our most redeeming feature but there you go.

I wouldn’t normally engage or contribute to this sort of thread because all it really achieves is the very outcome that the instigators seek-a bit (or a lot) of digital argy-bargy. However, I do find I react quite badly to instances of malicious intent aimed at an individual. Forget whether this is about the BS or Steve Pope. I would react the same way whoever it was but obviously more forcefully when it is someone I know personally. There may even be validity to the complaint lurking deep beneath the toxic narrative but again, I have no interest or opinion because I don’t know the facts. What has happened on here and far more vividly on other forums and FB amounts to a highly malicious campaign aimed at vilifying an individual and seeking it seems to raise a digital army of supporters in that quest. I am not going to sit by and watch that unfold without saying something-it’s simply a despicable and cowardly way to behave. Its cowardly because it’s all carried out from the safety of a keyboard and with brothers in arms. Of course none of them will actually just speak to Steve to air their issues as perhaps a decent human being might. No, it all has to play out in these vast open spaces.

Debate the role and relevance of the BS by all means-that’s all very fair game and often it’s informative and thought provoking. But these highly personal attacks are crossing a line in my view and something needs to be said about it.

Well said Mr Cooke and indeed Mr Funcks . A bit of harmless joshing is fair enough but this personal stuff is beyond the pale . I wouldn't mind but all these deeply upset individual BFW members [ I don't go on other forums ] who have apparently suffered at the hands of the Mr Pope, never actually have the courage to say what he has supposed to have done to them . As I have said before the bloke has helmed a niche fishing society for a long time , he can't be doing that badly as the BS continues to run , and on casual observation seems to do a reasonable job at promoting and protecting all things barbel . It certainly has a higher profile that the other two barbel ' clubs ' but perhaps those organisations are conciously doing whatever it is they do quietly , maybe that is the better way .As has been said repeatedly it is only fishing and perhaps these ' debates ' should be confined to the meetings of the BS .

Well Howard, what a strange view of the world you have. I have just had a look back thought this thread, something I rarely do, and all I see is a little Criticism on the way Pope has run the BS..... I see no "highly malicious campaign" or an army of instigators. I see no personal attack on Pope...... I see words on the politics of the BS pretty much as we have all been subject too re the democracy we live in these past weeks. Good word democracy isn't it, one Steve Pope doesn't believe in re the BS.

And, just for the record I have spoke to Pope many times....... I even got a word in edgeways once.

Edit

Mike,

Steve Pope has never done anything to upset me personally, nothing at all, so I have not "suffered" as you put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back