• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EXCITING NEWS ! THE BARBEL SHOW 2014: SUNDAY 4th MAY

You always get negative comments from this website, especially regarding the barbel society. I remember one guy being berated for spelling Bridgnorth wrong. Sad really. :(

DONT KNOCK IT until you have tried it :).

I was a member but did not continue my membership , no fuss just was not my thing ,but others i know are still members and enjoy it.

Never been to any of the shows but i hear they are a nice day out .I have also noticed that things are changing a bit in the society there seems to more young blood joining up and that nice to see.... always thought of the BS being a bit old school and that put me off a bit.You can buy half year memberships and find out for yourself how you find it and also see what its all about, the Barbel fisher is very good if your into the research side of Barbel angling and if you just fancy a few beers and a good old gabble the regional meet ups may suit you a treat.

Last edited:
DONT KNOCK IT until you have tried it :).

I was a member but did not continue my membership , no fuss just was not my thing ,but others i know are still members and enjoy it.

Never been to any of the shows but i hear they are a nice day out .I have also noticed that things are changing a bit in the society there seems to more young blood joining up and that nice to see.... always thought of the BS being a bit old school and that put me off a bit.

That's certainly been my attitude Paul. But what I think isn't perhaps that well known is the extent of the research and conservation work that the BS are involved with and is becoming an increasing focus. There is a lot of detail on the site (which has had a revamp-courtesy of some of that younger influence you mention!) but there has been stocking on the River Dane and Aire, the Stour Barbel Project in which the BS raised over £5k towards habitat improvement works, the reintroduction of gravels and construction of fry bays. Funding is always going to be an issue but the auction of fishing days/tackle and more besides helps enormously.

It's this sort of endeavour that has appealed to me enormously and has made me want to get more involved.

I let my membership lapse in 2012 more as a result of the recession than thinking they do anything other than a lot of seriously good work - particuarly with improving environments and research, so good luck to them and the event. By the way Howard the diversion of my earlier post - Peter Cook / Rowan Atkinson’s skit on the end of the world, was, in turn, my take on your excellent ‘any questions/ how will it be? ’ style of introducing the event. It was in no way suggesting that the BS get together will be anything like said meeting.

Just thought I’d clear that up.

Will this wind...? - YouTube

All the best.

Nick

I let my membership lapse in 2012 more as a result of the recession than thinking they do anything other than a lot of seriously good work - particuarly with improving environments and research, so good luck to them and the event. By the way Howard the diversion of my earlier post - Peter Cook / Rowan Atkinson’s skit on the end of the world, was, in turn, my take on your excellent ‘any questions/ how will it be? ’ style of introducing the event. It was in no way suggesting that the BS get together will be anything like said meeting.

Just thought I’d clear that up.

Will this wind...? - YouTube

All the best.

Nick

Thanks Nick and I got that. Enjoyed the clip too!

Cheers.

It's 2014 and in the society really is an exciting place to be. It's on the up and going from strength to strength. The R&C work is quite spectacular to say the least and has great support from within...and out. That was the main reason I joined but then found if you make a point of getting involved the rewards are brilliant. Good friendships to be gained, loads of fish-ins, meetings etc to attend. The mag and newsletters are great and some new found energy coming through. The younger chaps have good heads on them......as regards to anglers falling out, well, that's been and gone. Those who wish to sing will always find a song......As mentioned, it's 2014. Crack on! :D new forum in the pipeline too.

Last edited:
A few quick ones from last years show.

7mb8.jpg

67pi.jpg

cx3i.jpg

f6ts.jpg

x6v8.jpg

1du2.jpg

cmu1.jpg

q65m.jpg

0zc8.jpg

Just a couple of weeks now until the show and here is the flyer for it. It will be my first and I am really looking forward to it. You can pay at the door so no need to pre-book tickets unless you want to. Really hope to meet as many of you that can make it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 216
Oh what a terrible shame, I have promised Ade Williams I will help him collate his collection of navel fluff on that day.

Been a few years since I attended, think me and a few mates are going to give it a go this time.

I need to be there Tony, Ill bring my own crisps and beer and I'll be very quiet while florin is doing his bit! Oh yes perhaps you were wrong Nick, this could be a lot of fun.

I'll be taking photos for the event, so make sure you put your hair up and apply some kinky lipstick. Stockings optional.

I'll be taking photos for the event, so make sure you put your hair up and apply some kinky lipstick. Stockings optional.

As it will be my first time, I might just make the effort and borrow some of my wife's stockings. She won't mind, she must be used to it by now.

Hoping to meet many fellow BFW members...

Hahaha......sounds like Mr Sliwa has finished my rods off in double quick time so I can pick them up at the show! Still have a to wait 5-6 weeks before a barbel puts a bend in then though. Tut.

Hi men,

Nice seeing a few of you lads , nice venue , but missed a couple of people I wanted to say hello to , but the day flew past .

Hatter

Back