• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

First post, and straight away a question!

OK, Graham, I'll check all that out. As far as 4x4's go, after a succession of Disco's, old Land Cruisers and a few fourtraks, I'm now right at the bottom of the list with a freelander. It does have the BMW engine, which is a bonus, and it can cope with all the tracks and dodgy angles on my mates farm when I'm out with my dogs, so it should cope!

I'll also check out Castle Lodge Hotel.

Thanks very much for the tips!

Cheers,

Bob

OK, Graham, I'll check all that out. As far as 4x4's go, after a succession of Disco's, old Land Cruisers and a few fourtraks, I'm now right at the bottom of the list with a freelander. It does have the BMW engine, which is a bonus, and it can cope with all the tracks and dodgy angles on my mates farm when I'm out with my dogs, so it should cope!

I'll also check out Castle Lodge Hotel.

Thanks very much for the tips!

Cheers,

Bob

Digging around a bit more Bob, Hereford Town stretch seems to be worth a look, there's a couple of 'armchair' pegs and some concrete hard standings that seem safe. Peg 95 ish I believe. As Joe said Woody's will put you right.

Hi Bob, and welcome .
Certainly agree that Woody is the guy to have a word with, his information proved invaluable to our little group of Wye tourists on a number of occasions a few years ago.
I remember being able to drive down to the river ( by the waterworks museum) at Hereford. The swims were fairly angler friendly, but a bit littered up, I think that was the top end of the town stretch . We elected to fish further upstream on the Belmont stretch.
Another stretch of the Wye where a motor could be driven to the bank was the bottom beat on the Three Counties waters near Bredwardine, but the swims may prove difficult .
When we were in The Moon pub in Mordiford near Holme Lacey, we meet a guy who allowed us to book "his" stretch which was between the White Swan water and the Holme Lacey top end boundary opposite the Lugg confluence .
Again, you could drive to the river and the swims were flat and comfortable.
Whilst talking Holme Lacey, a lady named Jean sometimes checked the day tickets.
She had her own stretch further downstream ( at least I think it was) which we booked on a number of occasions . Access was easy and the swims were good , also had a little hut where you could make a brew . A mate of mine made the bookings so I,m afraid that I haven't any contact number. Maybe someone else on here could give an update and current info on that water as this was about 8 years ago. Sorry that it all sounds a bit vague, ... Must have been all the beer I drunk on those trips!
Good luck
Dave.

Bob I don't know how much you want to spend on accommodation ? Google Lucksall Caravan park they are situated right next to the Wye ?

Hi Joe,
That thought occurred to me too, swims are easy but when I had a shifty at their website apart from ' pods', it all seemed to be camping and touring pitches with no mention of static caravans etc. ???

Joe, accommodation costs really aren't an issue, when you get to this stage of life I'm going for all the comfort whilst fishing that I didn't have while the kids were growing up and the mortgage bell doled mournfully every month!

We've decided that the best course of action is to ring Woody's on a work day, take notice of his advice and then have a "dry" run to check everything out.

I know it's twice the fuel and all the other related costs, but I'd rather do it this way and get it right, rather than arrive and find the swim inaccessible, move to another area, find the swim inaccessible, you get the picture...

Gentlemen, I'm amazed! I'm not going to list all the things that have amazed me as I'd get boring very quickly, but you know who you are!

Many thanks, All!

Hi Bob

As Graham said, Stans at Hoarwithy has some very accessible swims.As for accommodation look up The Old Mill Hoarwithy. Carol who owns the place is a lovely lady and cant do enough for you.

Bob. As you said you wanted some comfort I suggested the hotel above.

Nice bar and great rooms and near Ross for supplies if needed.

Also White Lion over the road for a livelier pub if wanted.

Send me a pm and I can suggest a very good even swim on a dt basis that can be reserved for anglers with limited mobility. There is another flat swim nearby that the owners have named Grahams after the help I have given them over the years.

Cheers

Graham

i would also vouch for going to hereford and fishing the town waters. i have gone there with a freind regularly who as parkinsons and despite his limitations as found plenty of swims that are accesable.

plus you have a the advice from woody on which swims would be acccesable/fishable depending on water levels.

for some one travelling there the first time you wont get a better stretch of the wye with everything you need around you. plus hereford is a nice town to have a look around.

Disabled Holiday Information, UK - Disabled Holiday Info.

all the best and good luck
Jason

Another option to have a look at is a cottage/apartment on the river - won't get the bacon butties made for you but a 20yd walk to the water may make up for it.

There are a couple advertised on this web site, one I know has platforms but access is difficult can be difficult to actually get to the platforms!

I am staying at another one early in the season - I'll post later on access (although it looks very good) and availability of takeaways/pubs etc.

Another stretch of the Wye where a motor could be driven to the bank was the bottom beat on the Three Counties waters near Bredwardine, but the swims may prove difficult .
The bottom part of the top beat (1) would probably be even easier as a 4wd can get right to the water in places however I'm not sure if any day tickets are available these days as it's pretty much exclusive to members of the syndicate but you could try giving Brian Powell a ring on 01570 493125 Three Counties Fisheries: Coarse, Game, Corporate Days, Fish Sales & Accommodation around Gloucestershire, Herefordshire & the River Wye - Home

Llanthomas worth a look.
You park quite close to the river.

The banks are mostly pretty steep where you can park really close by but maybe worth getting in touch with Will Barnard via the facebook page for availability and Geoff the owner is always very helpful. There are good swims that are reasonably accessible from the Salmon Hut with friendly banks if you can propel yourself 50yds or so https://www.facebook.com/LlanthomasFishery as an aside it's apparently going to be featured on springwatch tonight (8pm BBC2)

I remember my mate fishing that swim on 3 c's Brian and refusing to pack up one evening because he was getting decent pulls and figured it was only a matter of time etc etc.
When he reluctantly reeled in he had hooked up to an old leather belt !:D
We cleaned it up and polished the brass clasp and had it engraved " tos##r" on the front and " must try harder" on the back.
Every year the tos##r belt is the wooden spoon on our group barbel fish in.
Happy days :)

There's lots of good info and advice in this thread guys, thank you all very much for your help. It's really a joy to come here and talk to knowledgeable people who are prepared to pass on their knowledge instead of keeping it a closely guarded secret, and for that, once again, I thank you all!

I think I said earlier that we're going to give it a trial run, but I've now got a mate who I've just discovered has been fishing the Wye for a number of years who has offered to come along and point out some suitable areas. Sally's has been mentioned as one likely stretch. So, we should be sorted, but I'll report back in the fullness of time how we got on!

Loved this Dave.

"When he reluctantly reeled in he had hooked up to an old leather belt !

We cleaned it up and polished the brass clasp and had it engraved " tos##r" on the front and " must try harder" on the back.
Happy days "

Reminds me of the time we had one of the very well attended BFW fly fishing days. North vs South and a certain moderator on here fishing for the North enquired of a couple of the catching Southern guys, of which I was one ""What Fly"

Getting the response "the one on the end of my line!"

They presented me with a bloody great pike fly on a wooden plimth engraved

"What Fly".

Happy Days.

There's lots of good info and advice in this thread guys, thank you all very much for your help. It's really a joy to come here and talk to knowledgeable people who are prepared to pass on their knowledge instead of keeping it a closely guarded secret, and for that, once again, I thank you all!

I think I said earlier that we're going to give it a trial run, but I've now got a mate who I've just discovered has been fishing the Wye for a number of years who has offered to come along and point out some suitable areas. Sally's has been mentioned as one likely stretch. So, we should be sorted, but I'll report back in the fullness of time how we got on!

Good stuff Bob, it's a unique river the Wye, hope you spend many a happy hour down there, offers still there for any help, not too far away.

Loved this Dave.

"When he reluctantly reeled in he had hooked up to an old leather belt !

Happy days "

Reminds me of the time we had one of the very well attended BFW fly fishing days. North vs South and a certain moderator on here fishing for the North enquired of a couple of the catching Southern guys, of which I was one ""What Fly"

Getting the response "the one on the end of my line!"

They presented me with a bloody great pike fly on a wooden plimth engraved

"What Fly".

Happy Days.

That reminds me when on the Teme a few years back, I was bending into a what had to be a good barbel fighting well in the flow, keeping low and jagging left to right, I even commented to the guy on the top of the bank....

'Good Fish'

Only for a horse shoe to slip over the net.

As I looked up all I could hear was the 'bloke' chuckling as he slipped away:eek:

Back