• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

First post, and straight away a question!

Bloomin heck Dave, i'd hate to meet you in a dark alley, you must be about 19 ft tall to have taken a picture like that :D:)

Selfie stick Derek!;)
No, .... it was taken long before those irritating gizmos were invented, ... just a gentle sloping bank which the camera didn't capture.:)

That reminds me when on the Teme a few years back, I was bending into a what had to be a good barbel fighting well in the flow, keeping low and jagging left to right, I even commented to the guy on the top of the bank....

'Good Fish'

Only for a horse shoe to slip over the net.

As I looked up all I could here was the 'bloke' chuckling as he slipped away:eek:

Yes Neil, I think most of us have had the embarrassing fish-on moment.:rolleyes:
Had mine at Earlswood Lakes in the late sixties when fishing into dark with half a dozen school mates.
My ten foot very soft action solid glass rod was bent double trying to land an absolute whopper, and the shout went up that Taylor was in !
As was the way I very soon found myself surrounded by six gawping mates all shining torches into my swim trying to catch a first glimpse of the Earlswood leviathan.
The corks on my rod were creaking as the "fish" ( lurching from side to side ) came towards the net,.... then , in the multiple spotlights, a perfectly hooked size 8 bumper boot , full of silt, broke the surface,....oh the indignity of it all !
Still carry the mental scars to this day.:eek::D

I've had a few, my most memorable was probably a large chunk of corrugated roofing on the middle Trent that gave a fair imitation of a large specimen in the current, it was 'swimming & thumping' all over the place ;)

Hi Bob and welcome,
Can't really add much more than the lads have already. My suggestion would be Hereford town stretch.Go to Woodys tackle shop and have a chat with him, or alternatively Sues angling are very helpful. Good luck my friend!

Yes Neil, I think most of us have had the embarrassing fish-on moment.:rolleyes:
Had mine at Earlswood Lakes in the late sixties when fishing into dark with half a dozen school mates.
My ten foot very soft action solid glass rod was bent double trying to land an absolute whopper, and the shout went up that Taylor was in !
As was the way I very soon found myself surrounded by six gawping mates all shining torches into my swim trying to catch a first glimpse of the Earlswood leviathan.
The corks on my rod were creaking as the "fish" ( lurching from side to side ) came towards the net,.... then , in the multiple spotlights, a perfectly hooked size 8 bumper boot , full of silt, broke the surface,....oh the indignity of it all !
Still carry the mental scars to this day.:eek::D

:D

Big Thanks to Bob for asking this question, and to everybody else for their posts.
So much information and funny stories, very much appreciated and keep it coming :D

Stephen

Yes indeed, keep it coming, this is turning into a great read, and everybody loves a good anecdote!

Neil, as I said earlier we're going for a dry run and we're also bringing along a mate of mine that's fished the river many times before. Your paths might have even crossed at some point, Dave Lidstone, he fishes the Wye at least twice a year, more if possible, but it's a bit of a run from deepest, darkest, Devon!

I've got to the stage of leaving this thread until last in the evenings, the reading here is far, far, better than any television!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the superb and diverse, ... dare I say attractive ,..wildlife that abounds along the Wye valley that's always ready to pose for a photo.
A mutual lifelong non-fishing mate of our little group who originates from Wales never seems to tire of receiving windup birthday and Christmas cards with sheep involved.
Whilst on a trip to the Wye at Holme Lacey, the main culprit of this ongoing windup couldn't resist reeling in and stalking a poor animal in order to get a closeup shot to be later setup as a card for our mate.
I took the opportunity to,..in turn take a pic of him stalking sheep making sure that his camera was not in shot!
Back home up the pub my mate sarcastically informed our Welsh friend that he hadn't forgotten him on our trip and that he would get to know why at a later date.
Cue for me to present him with my photo ......the biter was bit!:D

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/members/dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5457-image.jpg

Needless to say , our friend was very grateful for the ammunition .

I won't mention any names as I know he reads this forum and has plenty of dirt on yours truly .!!

Yes indeed, keep it coming, this is turning into a great read, and everybody loves a good anecdote!

Neil, as I said earlier we're going for a dry run and we're also bringing along a mate of mine that's fished the river many times before. Your paths might have even crossed at some point, Dave Lidstone, he fishes the Wye at least twice a year, more if possible, but it's a bit of a run from deepest, darkest, Devon!

I've got to the stage of leaving this thread until last in the evenings, the reading here is far, far, better than any television!

"anecdote" That's the word i was looking for. I knew "Isotope" wasn't right:eek:

Stephen

Subs bench at Swansea City:eek::D Please don't crucify me, i really am only joking, and had more than my fair share of hits being from north of the border.

Stephen

Looks like the "WAGS" all go to the same hairdressers, except for this little stunner :p:D

HighlandHooker.jpg

Back