• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fish killer - a surprising culprit, you say?

Well'ish put Mike, but Angling will never be the next Fox Hunting.

There are way too many participants, businesses and livelyhoods involved for it to happen, name a country were Angling is outlawed, never going to happen.

The public like furry cute Foxes but accept they need to be controlled, farmers have rights to protect their stocks from Foxes and Mink, and the exact same should be applied to private fisheries and clubs with regard to Otters, where there is a problem with them.

The Otter is protected due to it being low in numbers 50/60 years ago, that can not be said today, they are present in every county in England, so we have got to ask how much longer will it be required to be protected?, the Rabbits, Rats, Mink and Mr Fox are not happy about this preferential treatment.

What message needs to get out there is just how destructive a predator the Otter is to anything that lives in and around our Waterways, including various species of Birds and Mammals, this is something the vast majority of Joe Public do not realise.

Like I said before, they are, were and always will be a pest that needs to be kept in check.

Darren where your argument falls down that Otters are not classed as vermin or a pest like foxes , Rabbits , Mink etc etc . You talk to some game keepers and they consider birds of prey a pest and would like to cull Birds of Prey ( Pheasant shoots ) Some game keepers have ended up in court and been prosecuted .So would you agree that its ok to cull Birds of prey because they are taking Pheasant chicks ?

Highly unlikely that the Otter will ever be classed as vermin . Re fishery owners being given right to protect fisheries , might work on a pond or lake but can't see that working on a river , who owns the rivers ?, who would police it ?. I don't know of any country where angling has been banned , and yes angling is a major if declining industry in this country , but I still think we need to be very careful , hunters do not have a good public image , and angling is hunting . The plain fact is that NO government or political party of whatever persuasion would ever back a cull of otters and without the backing of politicians things , whether we like it, or not don't happen , unless of course people take the law in to their own hands which I am sure occurs anyway

We should stop calling them otters, and instead call them GIANT RATS. Next time your on the bank, and a dog walker goes past, warn them to keep their pet away from the water, as you,ve just seen a giant rat attacking a swan etc. If we all did it, Joe Public might not think there so cute n cuddly any more. ;):)

Well'ish put Mike, but Angling will never be the next Fox Hunting.

There are way too many participants, businesses and livelyhoods involved for it to happen, name a country were Angling is outlawed, never going to happen.

The public like furry cute Foxes but accept they need to be controlled, farmers have rights to protect their stocks from Foxes and Mink, and the exact same should be applied to private fisheries and clubs with regard to Otters, where there is a problem with them.

The Otter is protected due to it being low in numbers 50/60 years ago, that can not be said today, they are present in every county in England, so we have got to ask how much longer will it be required to be protected?, the Rabbits, Rats, Mink and Mr Fox are not happy about this preferential treatment.

What message needs to get out there is just how destructive a predator the Otter is to anything that lives in and around our Waterways, including various species of Birds and Mammals, this is something the vast majority of Joe Public do not realise.

Like I said before, they are, were and always will be a pest that needs to be kept in check.

If 10 years ago someone had suggested to me that the Shadow Secretary of State for the Dept of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs was a vegan who wouldn't wear wool or leather then I wouldn't have believed them. That is currently the case with the recent appointment of Kerry McCarthy. She is also a vice President of the League Against Cruel Sports (LACS) and has publicly stated that she doesn't like angling. LACS don't appear to have an official position on angling, however it appears that this may just be down to political expediency.

A LACS executive committee member, Lawrie Phipps, when asked where LACS stood on angling posted the following comment on a blog two years ago:

'I would not be on the board of any organisation that started down that route as there are so many other things that need doing first, but 50 years from now, who knows?'

You may wish to take these for granted Darren, but in my opinion it would be extremely naive to do so. As things stand the odds on Labour winning the next election are only around 5/2.

Personally I think we would be wise to get our house in order and start working harder to ensure the Joe Public understands the benefits to the environment that responsible angling offers.

Posting comments on public forums such as "We were after the Mink your honour, accidents happen...", only serves to undermine anglings environmental credentials. Does it not occur to you what non-anglers might think and the bad-light that brings upon angling?

Anyone that seriously thinks it is even remotely likely that anglers would ever be allowed to cull otters in order to protect coarse fish stocks so as just to afford anglers the opportunity to catch more of them, is in grave need of a reality check I'm afraid. It would probably easier to just ban angling...

And the comparison with other species that prey on livestock, damage crops or spread life threatening diseases is also completely erroneous. You simply cannot compare food production and human health with a leisure activity.

And here's a thought. Some anglers have been banging on about Otters for what now seems to be the best part of a decade, and whilst I don't dispute for one minute that otters can suppress barbel populations in small rivers, I am compelled to ask where is the proof that overall otters are having a destructive or negative effect on the freshwater environment?

And other then a reduction in barbel numbers in some rivers, is there is single scrap of evidence to suggest that otters are impacting upon any other native species? And by evidence I mean hard scientific data, not half-baked anecdotes passed along the angling grapevine!

Joe, how on earth are we going to be able to produce 'hard scientific evidence' on the effects otters have on fish population, when there are no scientists doing any research in this field? When you consider the general popularity and 'Aaaah' response and public perception of otters, then it does not require too much imagination to realise that a scientist, even were he so inclined, has less than a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting grant money or funding of any sort to carry out the required depth of research.

The government would never fund such research, because they don't ever get embroiled in anything which MAY throw up results that could put them on the spot.....and for the same reason, industry is never going to go there either. The only chance then is to find an angling multi millionare and convince him/her to spend a million or two on research on this. Got any mates with that kind of bank account who you could ask? Nope, and neither have I.

I would definitely take umbridge if I were one of the very many anglers who used to fish once prolific barbel rivers, which are now virtually devoid of these fish, to hear that their bitter experience was all just 'Half baked anecdotes passed along the angling grapevine'. A 'reduction in numbers' just doesn't come close to describing what has happened. I would also be a tad miffed if I were one of the numerous fishery owners who had lost their business, their large investment and their entire livelihood when their stock was completely decimated by otters, often several times over.

Cheers, Dave.

If 10 years ago someone had suggested to me that the Shadow Secretary of State for the Dept of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs was a vegan who wouldn't wear wool or leather then I wouldn't have believed them. That is currently the case with the recent appointment of Kerry McCarthy. She is also a vice President of the League Against Cruel Sports (LACS) and has publicly stated that she doesn't like angling. LACS don't appear to have an official position on angling, however it appears that this may just be down to political expediency.

A LACS executive committee member, Lawrie Phipps, when asked where LACS stood on angling posted the following comment on a blog two years ago:

'I would not be on the board of any organisation that started down that route as there are so many other things that need doing first, but 50 years from now, who knows?'

You may wish to take these for granted Darren, but in my opinion it would be extremely naive to do so. As things stand the odds on Labour winning the next election are only around 5/2.

Personally I think we would be wise to get our house in order and start working harder to ensure the Joe Public understands the benefits to the environment that responsible angling offers.

Posting comments on public forums such as "We were after the Mink your honour, accidents happen...", only serves to undermine anglings environmental credentials. Does it not occur to you what non-anglers might think and the bad-light that brings upon angling?

Anyone that seriously thinks it is even remotely likely that anglers would ever be allowed to cull otters in order to protect coarse fish stocks so as just to afford anglers the opportunity to catch more of them, is in grave need of a reality check I'm afraid. It would probably easier to just ban angling...

And the comparison with other species that prey on livestock, damage crops or spread life threatening diseases is also completely erroneous. You simply cannot compare food production and human health with a leisure activity.

And here's a thought. Some anglers have been banging on about Otters for what now seems to be the best part of a decade, and whilst I don't dispute for one minute that otters can suppress barbel populations in small rivers, I am compelled to ask where is the proof that overall otters are having a destructive or negative effect on the freshwater environment?

And other then a reduction in barbel numbers in some rivers, is there is single scrap of evidence to suggest that otters are impacting upon any other native species? And by evidence I mean hard scientific data, not half-baked anecdotes passed along the angling grapevine!
Aren't the Tories trying to get Fox Hunting unbanned?, are you telling me the majority of the commons would vote against Angling?, because that's what it takes and it will never happen.

The first party to even attempt it would be political suicide, anglers on mass would be at the polling booths, and there's a lot of us, they'd truly see "A Passion for Angling".

Joe, how on earth are we going to be able to produce 'hard scientific evidence' on the effects otters have on fish population, when there are no scientists doing any research in this field? ...

I would definitely take umbridge if I were one of the very many anglers who used to fish once prolific barbel rivers, which are now virtually devoid of these fish, to hear that their bitter experience was all just 'Half baked anecdotes passed along the angling grapevine'. A 'reduction in numbers' just doesn't come close to describing what has happened. I would also be a tad miffed if I were one of the numerous fishery owners who had lost their business, their large investment and their entire livelihood when their stock was completely decimated by otters, often several times over.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave
Where is your evidence that this is solely down to otters - i fish in the upper Thames catchment and have never seen an otter or a dead fish that looks like it has been killed by one, anglers i speak to haven't either...but the barbel stocks are down. May be there is a cycle, as silver fish after their so called decimation by cormorants/gooseanders are making a comeback...problem is we just do not know what the cause is. On the stretches where i fish for example the large chub ie 4lb plus have it seems disappeared, the floods a while back perhaps or have they just got smart? If otters are the real deal why is the Trent catchment doing so well plus the Wye. So many questions and no evidence based reasons - hence all we get is lots of opinion which is bound to differ. Just to add to it why is the Wye now so devoid of salmon, yet they are appearing in many other rivers which if we believe the science means it is where they were born...

The next general election is in 5 years time ? So which party will put in there manifesto and I quote '' Due to anglers concerns and complaints about Otters eating to many fish . We propose to introduce a bill in Parliament calling for the culling of Otters . If I was a betting man it will never happen ?

Hi Paul.
Trent.
There have been over 100, 000 barbel stocked into the Trent over the past 10 years.

Wye.
Like all new introductions there is an initial population surge.

As per Severn/Avon in their day.

I've never seen an otter down this way either, but a number if pals have ( see kennet reports esp micky holts one re Upper B)

Joe, how on earth are we going to be able to produce 'hard scientific evidence' on the effects otters have on fish population, when there are no scientists doing any research in this field? When you consider the general popularity and 'Aaaah' response and public perception of otters, then it does not require too much imagination to realise that a scientist, even were he so inclined, has less than a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting grant money or funding of any sort to carry out the required depth of research.

The government would never fund such research, because they don't ever get embroiled in anything which MAY throw up results that could put them on the spot.....and for the same reason, industry is never going to go there either. The only chance then is to find an angling multi millionare and convince him/her to spend a million or two on research on this. Got any mates with that kind of bank account who you could ask? Nope, and neither have I.

Cheers, Dave.

As I said Comrade Gauntlett, I don't doubt that Otters reduce barbel populations in some rivers, especially smaller river systems. My point was about the wider environmental impact of otters, in particular the implication that otters are reeking havoc amongst other species of wildlife.

'I am compelled to ask where is the proof that overall otters are having a destructive or negative effect on the freshwater environment?

And other then a reduction in barbel numbers in some rivers, is there is single scrap of evidence to suggest that otters are impacting upon any other native species?'

If memory serves me right I recall that you suggested on this very site that otters were decimating bittern populations and I pointed out that bittern populations had actually increased significantly in recent years and that such an assertion beared no basis in fact.

The demonisation of otters and propensity to blame them for other environmental problems is remarkably similar to the tactics employed by 'Song Bird Survival' who try to attribute the decline of songbirds to the increase in raptor numbers post-DDT despite the weight of evidence to the contrary.

Regarding research - I take your point. But isn't it odd that despite there being over 2.6 million anglers in the UK and the angling industry being worth over £1 billion to the UK economy, there isn't enough money to fund research into the industry's biggest perceived threats?

Aren't the Tories trying to get Fox Hunting unbanned?, are you telling me the majority of the commons would vote against Angling?, because that's what it takes and it will never happen.

The first party to even attempt it would be political suicide, anglers on mass would be at the polling booths, and there's a lot of us, they'd truly see "A Passion for Angling".

They thought about it, but then quickly realised that they would hopelessly out voted, despite their parliamentary majority.

I agree it is unlikely that angling will be banned in the foreseeable future, but long-term who knows? It's not something we should ever take for granted.

just killem wherever and be done with it, why wait ten years + like they did with the cormorants, killem before they kill all the stocks whats took since the last war to evolve into the stocks we treasure
:mad:

just killem wherever and be done with it, why wait ten years + like they did with the cormorants, killem before they kill all the stocks whats took since the last war to evolve into the stocks we treasure
:mad:

I do hope this isn't a serious post. Who are you suggesting kills them John? Are you going to do it and break the law in the process?

I despair sometimes.

As I said Comrade Gauntlett, I don't doubt that Otters reduce barbel populations in some rivers, especially smaller river systems. My point was about the wider environmental impact of otters, in particular the implication that otters are reeking havoc amongst other species of wildlife.

'I am compelled to ask where is the proof that overall otters are having a destructive or negative effect on the freshwater environment?

And other then a reduction in barbel numbers in some rivers, is there is single scrap of evidence to suggest that otters are impacting upon any other native species?'

If memory serves me right I recall that you suggested on this very site that otters were decimating bittern populations and I pointed out that bittern populations had actually increased significantly in recent years and that such an assertion beared no basis in fact.

The demonisation of otters and propensity to blame them for other environmental problems is remarkably similar to the tactics employed by 'Song Bird Survival' who try to attribute the decline of songbirds to the increase in raptor numbers post-DDT despite the weight of evidence to the contrary.

Regarding research - I take your point. But isn't it odd that despite there being over 2.6 million anglers in the UK and the angling industry being worth over £1 billion to the UK economy, there isn't enough money to fund research into the industry's biggest perceived threats?

Well now, Mein Fuhrer Winstanley,

As you well know (you do know, don't you?) the increase in bittern numbers in the UK is solely down to EU directives and funding amounting to millions of pounds being spent on restoration work on wetlands and reedbeds, i.e, the natural habitat of bittern. These birds became extinct in the UK in 1886, due to loss of that habitat, and hunting. They were later reintroduced with stock from Europe. Their numbers since then have had roller coaster variations, and once even came close to ecxtinction again. Happily, in recent years, this massive habit restoration work has indeed brought about a resurgence. However, I have it on good authority (and no, I won't reveal my source, nor care one jot what you make of that) that the spread of otters through East Anglia and other areas has caused many deaths of these birds in recent years. The true extent of that will not be known untill new counts are done.

Other wildlife affected? Take one prime example...the water vole. It is widely accepted (though no doubt you will be the exception, that being your habitual stance) that otters kill water voles. In fact they are second only to mink in that respest, and mink kill more purely because they are small enough to enter water vole burrows. Now, water voles are an endangered species, and much work has been done to save them from extinction, and they enjoy many of the same protections as otters. Unfotunately, as in the case of our declining fish stocks, there are many things that have brought them to the edge....pollution and habitat destruction by 'us lot' being a major factor.

So, sadly for the water vole, it shares many of the same problems as our various species of fish and other riverine critters in many of our waterways...it (they) has been brought to its current parlous state by OUR actions. Now, just as we have done with our fish stocks, at a time when their population numbers in many rivers are teetering on the edge, we are actively interfering once more by subjecting it to one final, additional issue, which could spell its doom. We are hastening the spread of a carnivour that it has absolutely no defence against. Do you not imagine that water voles feel that being killed by an otter may just qualify them to be proof that otters are 'Impacting upon other native species'?

There are many other examples, but it gets tiresome going through the same things over and over again. Sadly Joe, you are one of those that loves to be in denial....though I suspect you have your own agenda going on here. Whatever, anglers such as Chris Turnbull, John Wilson and many, many others that I can assure you are honest men with no reason to lie, have clearly stated that they have witnessed the devastation otters can cause to populations of fish and other wildlife when those creatures are already severly affected/weakened by mans actions. John Wison even had otters destroy the carp and catfish in his private lake. He had to stand by, powerless, and watch them do it. The effect otters have had on his beloved Norfolk and Suffolk rivers is the prime reason why he no longer lives in the UK.

Proof? There have been countless anglers who have watched, often videoed otters killing barbel, pike roach, you name it...for gawds sake, it's what they were borne to do! I would say good luck to them...if there were enough fish to support them. There has also been photgraphs/footage of them attacking and killing swans, herons, ducks, you name it. Do you not see that I am not blaming them for this, that would be utterly ridiculous. I am just trying to point out that now was NOT a good time to hasten their return. We needed to fix our rivers and guarantee them their natural food source before doing that. Or is that just way too sensible?

Of course fish and other wildlife have lived in harmony with otters for millenia, it is the natural and desirable state, it is how nature designed things to be. Sadly, nature didn't reckon on us being quite the selfish, destructive barstewards we are, did it? WE have wrought untold havoc on our world in the uncaring pursuit of profit, and we are not going to stop any time soon.

Unfortunately, we also seem to have a senseless but insatiable longing to interfere with what little is left of our natural world. As a fine example of this, we in the UK now appear to be largely ignoring the plight of the fish in our rivers by ignoring EU directives to improve the water quality in those rivers. We are now allowing chemicals that are utterly impervious to standard water/effluent treatment plants, but which severly harm fish, to be introduced into them via those same hopelessly outdated treatment plants. We are building on flood plains, culverting, straightening, dredging and polluting rivers on a scale that is scary in the extreme. And it gets worse year on year.

If that wasn't bizarre enough, we are at the same time hastening the resurgence of an apex predator that relies on those very same fish that we are destroying....for it's own survival. If you don't find that a very strange state of affairs dear boy, then you need a reality check.

Cheers, Dave.

For the love of everything that is Holy DG ,Otters are a part of the British Wildlife scene, and have been for millions of years, they also have a very strong public appeal, they are the super stars of Wildlife conservation.

Embrace it Dave, work with it, and look at the big picture, Otters will never be culled, but they will integrate, worry about the bigger issues that face wildlife, and not just one species of fish.

For the love of everything that is Holy DG ,Otters are a part of the British Wildlife scene, and have been for millions of years, they also have a very strong public appeal, they are the super stars of Wildlife conservation.

Embrace it Dave, work with it, and look at the big picture, Otters will never be culled, but they will integrate, worry about the bigger issues that face wildlife, and not just one species of fish.

It's all down to personal choices Neil, you make yours, and I make mine. I like to weigh things up and make my own choices, based on facts as I find them. Firstly, I don't dislike Otters per se, I have no reason to because they have as yet done me no harm at all. Then again, I know they have done a great deal of harm to the cherished recreational fishing of many people, so that counts for quite a lot in my book, me being one of those odd type who takes other peoples troubles very seriously. Another factor for me to consider is that in common with the vast majority of the British public, I have never even seen an otter in the wild...and I have been fishing for 60+ years.

So, I weigh all this up and ask myself this very simple question. Given the choice, would I rather have a critter I have never even seen, one which will never be of any benefit to me whatsoever....or, would I rather have the fish that has given me and many thousands of others countless hours of pleasure for many years?

Didn't take me long to decide Neil.

But then you see, I count barbel as being every bit as much a part of the 'British wildlife Scene' as otters. Why you do not is between you and your concience, considering the pleasure they have afforded you over the years. They are an indigenous species in exactly the same way as otters....neither one is more deserving of our recognition than the other. True, they may now exist in some rivers that did not hold them before...but that is hardly their fault is it?

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, yes Barbel have and still do give me enormous pleasure, in fact rather embarrassed to admit I fish for no other species and it does take up a lot of my time. So with that I am probably well placed to say that the Otter deserves equal status along with any other creature.

To persecute Otter solely because it might predate on Barbel, amongst other species is not a reason as I see it to have them culled.

You say you have never seen an Otter in the wild, have you therefore seen any evidence of fish kills that can be attributed to Otter? Of course this is the Elephant In The Room isn't it for all the ones that blame the Otter for the reduction in Barbel numbers, the lack of evidence.

I have seen Otter on a number of occassions, I also see their tracks in the mud especially on my local Avon, but I have yet to see a fish carcass that can be attributed to an Otter kill.

So what am I to think?

The Otter is roundly blamed for the demise of the Barbel, and yet we have no real evidence, aside from a few anecdotes and photographs, all circumstancial evidence which does not hold up. But that does not stop many pointing fingers , perhaps the Otter is the Red Herring and we are missing the the real culprit(s) in all this?

I certainly do think the Otter is a factor, but not the main one, but it is a very easy target.

The day that I can control the species that I fish for, is the day the light goes out for my fishing, it has to survive all the trauma that is nature, so making it strong and able to survive Dave, that is why the Barbel is such a magnificent creature, because it is a fighter in every sense.

Back