• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Headtorch warning

SURELY ???

the red light option is far and away better than green as it does not hinder your natural night vision I mostly use my head torches on red for that very reason
and the batteries last for ages ? if your using the price of batteries to justify the extra £35 the ridge monkey light costs trust me you wont live long enough to use £35 worth of AAA batteries in an Energiser while fishing lol

Try green on a ridge monkey and then come back to me.
Not using battery cost to justify price. I obviously fish alot more than you with the i wont live long enough comment. The energiser eats batteries and dims very quickly.

Try green on a ridge monkey and then come back to me.
Not using battery cost to justify price. I obviously fish alot more than you with the i wont live long enough comment. The energiser eats batteries and dims very quickly.

apologies Mathew my typing mistake it should have read .. I wont live long enough not you ( im in my 70`s ) and Carp fished for well over 50 years using head torches petzle led lenser well you name it Iv bought it apart from RMs
oh yes and found the new generation LEDs that are in the new energiser torches to be far better than the earlier ones nd small and comfy enough to sleep with it on too

apologies Mathew my typing mistake it should have read .. I wont live long enough not you ( im in my 70`s ) and Carp fished for well over 50 years using head torches petzle led lenser well you name it Iv bought it apart from RMs
oh yes and found the new generation LEDs that are in the new energiser torches to be far better than the earlier ones nd small and comfy enough to sleep with it on too

No problem Gerry. I was dubios of the green light but have found it excellent. Ive spent 40 quid on lensers and petzl and not been happy with them. The energizer (new ones) are good for the money but power soon drains batteries in my experience.

I've always used red to protect my night vision and was led to believe that green was better for map reading (and helping to protect night vision). However, this is from the following http://www.flashlightuniversity.com/led-colors-and-uses/

Red (630 nm): Red LEDs are do not appear as bright to the human eye as white LEDs. If your eyes are night vision adjusted, it’s a good idea to use a red LED to navigate your way in the dark so you don’t ruin your night vision. Red light is also great for camping if you do not want to wake your neighbors with a bright white light. Red light is the universal signal for attention, so it is a great thing to have in emergencies for signaling and safety.

Military Using Green LED
Green LEDs are useful for night vision.
Green (525 nm): Green LEDs are useful outdoors. Many hunters claim that the green light attracts deer and other wild game, and the green light will not scare away fish, deer, and other game like a bright white light will. The green LEDs also have a longer run time than many other colored LEDs.

1 ridgemonkey, OR, 24 £1.52 jobbies with a crap load of duracell recharchable batteries. You make your own minds up. :) Obviously, the spoilt little brat, with a highly paid job, and a perfect pension plan has. Not everyone has an endless pot of gold.

P.S., i would love to see such a mouthpiece, work the hours i do just to make ends meet, 70-80 hrs, every week, no days off, through no fault of my own, because of a relationship that went sour. I fight every day to save my house from reposession, for the benefit of my kids, so, if i have the choice between a 1.52, and 45.00, headtorch, yes, you can guess which one i'm taking.

Derek's cheapo's work perfectly fine for me when I'm doing long bivvy sessions and can't see why I would need anything else. through the night the only times I'll use it are when I land and return a fish or to make a brew...if I was out pot holing it would be a different matter.

My Petzl purchased for a BFW Fish-in in 2002 is still working fine but is confined to my toolbox these days - only white LEDs and a stiff switch which was always hard to use in damp conditions.

Energiser with slide switch red LED one way and white LED t'other is carried as a spare - when it was my main headtorch the batteries lasted a whole season.

Energizer Vision HD+ Focus LED Headlight Hands Free Headtorch 250 Lumen Headlamp is my main one these days, but have to say that batteries don't last a whole season even though I mainly only use the red LED whilst fishing, white LED for walking back to van.

Energiser HD for me,great product,bargain price and has all the features you need,used with rechargeables,brilliant :D:D

1 ridgemonkey, OR, 24 £1.52 jobbies with a crap load of duracell recharchable batteries. You make your own minds up. :) Obviously, the spoilt little brat, with a highly paid job, and a perfect pension plan has. Not everyone has an endless pot of gold.

P.S., i would love to see such a mouthpiece, work the hours i do just to make ends meet, 70-80 hrs, every week, no days off, through no fault of my own, because of a relationship that went sour. I fight every day to save my house from reposession, for the benefit of my kids, so, if i have the choice between a 1.52, and 45.00, headtorch, yes, you can guess which one i'm taking.

Sorry if I have upset you that was not my intention.
Regards
Mat

Judt a point re the light dimming when the battery goes flat on an Energiser, in fact, I much prefer that to having a nice bright torch one minute then total blackout the next, call it a warning by the torch to me that I need new batteries.

Dave

Judt a point re the light dimming when the battery goes flat on an Energiser, in fact, I much prefer that to having a nice bright torch one minute then total blackout the next, call it a warning by the torch to me that I need new batteries.

Dave
That's why the RM has a battery gauge on it. I'm off to buy one later.

Difficult to convey humour sometimes online, I must admit I found the original comment a bit off. Try using emojis ( not be patronising)

I did use a emoji. I agree its difficult to convey humour online. But do think the reaction was a tad off. Woud rather Derek accepts my apology and that be the end of it.

After opening this thread regarding a warning on fake batteries its been so amusing I will start one on rod rests:D

Back