• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

In reality can Barbel really know the difference ?

I would suggest that the inclusion of feeding stimulants/appetite enhancers are more likely to make a bait more effective from the angler's point of view. Think Kentucky/McDonalds.

If you intend to preoccupy the fish with a certain bait by its repeated introduction, it may benefit the fishes well-being if the bait also has a decent nutritional value.

But who really decides what is 'nutritional' as far as baits we buy, the effort of selling these baits is to catch the angler first and foremost.

I suppose we might think that as far a 'proper' food to feed fish would be a commercial pellet where at least the science of nutrition has been addressed.
But even this may be flawed due to the fish that are being fed these pellets are farmed.

Hell Graham,
Having just read your post on blood-worms I was surprised that they contain only 6-8% protein and looked it up and you are right.However if the water is removed the protein content is actually over 50% of dried material and also contains a fair number of vitamins and minerals.Water content of foods or baits should be ignored when making comparisons as it has no food value.......Fred

That's a bit difficult to do when they are living in water :) I would think that most of a single bloodworm is made up of water remove the water and there would be very little left, if what is left is 50% protein that still is a poor return for energy expended considering the amount they would have to eat to gain any benefit. Perhaps they just like rummaging about in the mud. I wonder how much bloodworm there is in bloodworm pellets that bait companies sell.

But who really decides what is 'nutritional' as far as baits we buy, the effort of selling these baits is to catch the angler first and foremost.

I suppose we might think that as far a 'proper' food to feed fish would be a commercial pellet where at least the science of nutrition has been addressed.
But even this may be flawed due to the fish that are being fed these pellets are farmed.

The inclusion of feeding stimulants/appetite enhancers into commercial pellet is to encourage farmed fish to eat "unnatural" amounts of food, thus growing them on as quickly/cost effectively as possible.

I don't think that you could dispute that these feeding stimulants/appetite enhancers are effective?

The inclusion of feeding stimulants/appetite enhancers into commercial pellet is to encourage farmed fish to eat "unnatural" amounts of food, thus growing them on as quickly/cost effectively as possible.

I don't think that you could dispute that these feeding stimulants/appetite enhancers are effective?

No I could not, but I couldn't argue that they were also beneficial in the long term for unfarmed fish.

If Barbel can recognise whats good for them ? Perhaps some one could explain what food content is in Hempseed and why they will eat such large amounts of the stuff ?

Shamelessly googled !!
[ Hemp Seed Nutrition
Hemp seeds are high in nutritional value and contain 20 different varieties of amino acids and all nine of the essential amino acids (like flax). Some essential amino acids can't be naturally produced by the body and these seeds have the capacity to supplement them in the body. They contain high amounts of protein, which helps in strengthening the immune system, thereby, reducing the instances of diseases, besides helping in excreting toxins from the body. Studies in the recent past have shown that consuming hemp seeds whether raw or in oil form, has the capacity to aid in the healing process of diseases related to immune deficiency. There is no other food substance which contains such high quantities of essential fatty acids found in hemp seeds, higher than even flaxseed and other nut or seed oil as well as containing high amounts of vitamin E and trace minerals. It has a balanced ratio of omega 3 to 6 fats at around a three to one ratio. This won't help correct your omega balance if it's off, but it gives you the right balance to start with.

Further the protein content of the hemp seed is supposed to be very digestible. Many people noted their personal experience of finding that hemp seed protein did not cause bloating or gas, like some of their whey, or other protein shakes did. And, unlike soy which has super high amounts of phytic acid (that anti-nutrient that prevents us from absorbing minerals), hemp seed doesn't contain phytic acid. At the very least, this makes hemp seed a step up from soy.

Consuming hemp seeds is absolutely safe and there are no known side effects of consuming them. However, you should always remember that excess of anything is bad, so make sure that you consume just enough so as to give you a healthy body. Hope, after reading all the hemp seeds health benefits, you would take good care of your health and start consuming hemp seeds even if you don't like them.

The best way to insure the body has enough amino acid material to make the globulins is to eat foods high in globulin proteins. Since hemp seed protein is 65% globulin edistin, and also includes quantities of albumin, its protein is readily available in a form quite similar to that found in blood plasma. Eating hemp seeds gives the body all the essential amino acids required to maintain health, and provides the necessary kinds and amounts of amino acids the body needs to make human serum albumin and serum globulins like the immune enhancing gamma globulins. Eating hemp seeds could aid, if not heal, people suffering from immune deficiency diseases. This conclusion is supported by the fact that hemp seed was used to treat nutritional deficiencies brought on by tuberculosis, a severe nutrition blocking disease that causes the body to waste away.]

No idea what specifically they are turned onto in Hemp, but they obviously find it worth the effort Joe, i've tried to get the same response to Dari seeds but failed dismally so there is certainly some component of hempseed they like/need ? nutritional recognition ? not knowledge or reasoning, just pure instinct.

I have looked I can see nothing that attributes hemp as a beneficial food for fish, but that is the same as any other bait apart from naturals, we just hope there is no downside. Considering that tons of the stuff is piled into our rivers I would hope it's OK.

I think if there were a down side to hemp it would have been apparent by now as it's been used in vast quantities for a good many years.

Talking of downsides, Spam is exceptionally high in Sodium and fat, is this beneficial to fish ? if not, then the fact they eat it quite readily kind of contradicts the argument :) it also begs the question SHOULD we be using it as it could actually be harmful ? If on the other hand salt is something they need in quantity and thats what they are after then it might explain the attraction and we are back to nutritional recognition !

I think this is at the nub of the debate re HNV baits . It is the content of these baits that attracts the fish , and with pre baiting the fish be it barbel or anything else get a real taste for them and will prefer them to other food sources , however I do not think that they KNOW that they are better for them and select on this basis . It has been argued that they instinctively/ innately know that they are a nutritional food source, this cannot , thankfully ,be proven or disproven ,if it could it would take all the fun out of it . According to Kevin Cliffords '' History of Carp fishing '' Fred is quoted as saying that he had devised a bait [ HNV ] that '' would put an end to angling as we know it''. Now I am sure that this alleged quote has been taken out of context and Fred will be able to put things right . However , looking in to this piece of historically important bait innovation , what Fred undoubtedly did was invent a bait that at the time was a quantam leap ahead of all the baits around at the time in terms of a bait that fish found VERY attractive , a stroke of genius in my view , however thankfully he didn't put an end to angling as we know it :D

As far as I am aware, and far be it from me to suggest what Fred did or didn't do, but the HNV part of the bait had nothing to do with attractants at all, part of the "system" for want of a better word, was that the carp would "learn" that a bait was good for them as to start with they would pick them up like any other bait, you could though, if managed properly, allow the fish to identify your bait / the good bait by giving it a signal by way of a unique smell, flavour etc.. I am sure there is far more to it than this but how attractive it is depends on them having already eaten some.

My, maybe mistaken take on the theory is that by giving them as near as you can a complete nutrition profile you may well give them a source of something they are deficient in, if this occurs then you are onto a real winner as they really will switch onto it.

My question is ? When a Barbel is swimming around and looking for some thing to eat ?
Can it tell the difference between some thing that may me good for them ? Or will it just eat it any way if it feels safe to do so ?
Is the HNV theory nonsence ?

Found this among many other thought provoking articles....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Presevatives: Are they killing our fish?

Phil Rosa-Leeke:
The following article was in the UK's Angling Times some time ago and I thought it might make for some interesting reading for you chaps.

Are we damaging the health of our fish for the sake of convenience?

This week Angling Times has uncovered a number of scientific studies which show how some of the preservative chemicals used in the production of popular fishing baits could be having a lethal effect on our coarse fish.

The laboratory experiments, undertaken at institutions in both the UK and Germany, saw large numbers of captive fish fed an exclusive diet of bait readily available from high street tackle shops, and the results were shocking.

The first study, carried out by respected fisheries management consultant Ash Girdler, saw 450 three-month-old mirror and common carp arranged in 15 tanks, each containing 30 carp, then split into five 'groups' of three tanks.

Each 'group' was then fed a different bait for the duration of the 12-week experiment: sweetcorn, peanuts, maggots, trout pellets and finally shelf-life boilies from a well-known manufacturer.

In order to ensure consistency of his findings, Ash was careful to make sure that each group was fed the same calorific content of bait; those fed maggots (which are approximately 90 per cent water) received far more 'food' than those on a diet of trout pellets, which had the highest calorific content.

At the end of the experiment those fish fed on the trout pellets showed the greatest growth, followed by those fed on peanuts, maggots, sweetcorn and shelf-life boilies respectively.

The fact that the growth of those carp fed on an exclusive diet of shelf-life boilies was inhibited will prove shocking to many, but far more eye-opening was the fact that 85 of the 90 carp in this category also DIED before the end of the experiment.
“Not only did the carp fed on preservative-rich shelf-life boilies show no growth and then die, their internal organs were also shot to pieces. The preservatives inhibited the carp's ability to process nutrients, so you could say, not only did they starve, they were also poisoned at the same time.” said Ash, who completed the study while in his final year at leading fisheries and aquaculture college Sparsholt, in Hants.
“The only difference between shelf-life boilies and freezer baits is the preservatives used in their manufacture. In order to satisfy my curiosity, I later replicated the test using freezer baits instead of shelf-lifes, and all the fish survived quite happily.” said Ash.

“At the time I offered my findings to the bait company whose shelf-life boilies I used, and not only did they refuse my invitation, they also dismissed my experiment out of hand, claiming it was worthless. I got a first class honours degree for the thesis, which has since been successfully peer reviewed by people such as Ian Wellby, the former head of the Environment Agency's Fisheries Health Department.” added Ash, who is also the author of the Institute of Fisheries Management “Guide to Intensive Management of Stillwater Fisheries.”

While Ashís study clearly highlights the possible health risks associated with feeding fish too many preservative-rich baits, a second extensive scientific study, conducted in Germany by the Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries in conjunction with Berlinës Humboldt University, looked at isolating specific chemical ingredients in shelf-life boilies that could possibly be causing the problems.

Led by fish health expert Dr Robert Arlinghaus, the study looked specifically at the effects of two well-known preservative chemicals (benzoic acid and potassium sorbate) both of which are included in many shelf-life boilie recipes across Europe and the UK.

The study centred on the toxic effects of these chemicals on zebrafish eggs under strict laboratory conditions. The tests were conducted with four different types of boilies : two commercially available shelf-life boilies, and two other boilies made with a commercially available boilie base mix not initially containing either of the preservative chemicals, but to which both were added to a combined five per cent of total weight. As a test bed, a fifth hand-rolled boilie containing no preservatives at all was also used in the experiment.

The findings were conclusive, as Dr Arlinghaus explained:
“All the zebrafish eggs exposed to a solution made from the shelf-life boilies died within 96 hours, as did those exposed to the self-made boilies to which preservatives were added. Those exposed to the boilies containing no preservatives, suffered no toxic effects. In all the trials, the toxicity increased greatly if split boilies were used.”

From Dr Arlinghaus's findings, it could be argued that benzoic acid had been successfully isolated as THE lethal preservative ingredient in shelf-life boilies and other baits. However, further tests on the baits used in the experiment threw up an alarming fact “One of the 'fatal' shelf-life boilies was found to include no traces of benzoic acid, and only low levels of the far less-toxic potassium sorbate.”

“This points to the fact that there are other unknown substances used in commercially available shelf-life boilies that are potentially toxic to fish. It remains unclear which substances are involved.” the report concludes.

This huge 'grey area' regarding the ingredients bait companies are allowed to put into their products is something Ash Girdler remains adamant needs to be investigated.

“Its naive to think that only one bait company is using these harmful ingredients, the European bait industry is massive. You have to remember that it's not just the fish that eat too many of these baits that could suffer ill-effects, it's the whole ecosystem.”

“Many of the preservative-rich products will remain on top of the lakebed, thereby inhibiting the vital work of bacteria on the substrate. There's no regulation of what companies put into their products, and while it remains like this, money and profits will always dictate what goes into a bait, over fish welfare.” he said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Joe, according to some, the answer is that fish will not always seek out and eat what is best for them. Admittedly, the carp in the above experiment had no choice in the matter and I suspect that none of the above diets fed to the carp would be beneficial on their own.
Horses often die through eating ragwort or too many acorns if either are available so why should fish be any different?

The health aspect of angling bait/feed deserves a new thread perhaps.
Through fish keeping it has been an important consideration of mine for some time, but it can rightly be argued that the dietary needs of farmed or pet fish differ from those in the wild who can pick and choose.
If I threw a few top end probiotic - supposedly very healthy and nutritious- pellets in my pond along with a piece of breadcrust, the carp will fight for the latter,..... then eat the pellets! Interesting.

Ps.. Not trying to make a point against shelfies,... as I have stocks of both shelf life and frozens. Also, Im not sure how old the above article is, and I don't often buy the AT.

Thanks for that Dave, I found it very informative but also very worrying, perhaps it was time that all ingredients in boilies are printed on the packs along with a use by date.

I think if there were a down side to hemp it would have been apparent by now as it's been used in vast quantities for a good many years.

But any effects might be very gradual and would need a longer time span than just the period hemp has been used. However the last last post by Dave seems paints a grimmer picture with artificial baits, but what I am saying is that we are naive as to what we are doing when we introduce any baits apart from naturals.

Of course hemp is not found as a naturally occurring addition to a fish diet.

Thanks for that Dave, I found it very informative but also very worrying, perhaps it was time that all ingredients in boilies are printed on the packs along with a use by date.

It would be a good idea to do so, but I doubt if the current legislation would force companies to do it.

Seeds and similar items are a significant part of fish diet requirements of fibre.

Indeed, hard seed shells, snails, caddis and grit perform useful digestive functions.

Back