• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Milk based HNV baits ?

Hi men ,

Again John i cheat :D , for our winter bait I cut a good carp base mix ( even a good stick mix / groundbait ), with high levels of natural spices and garlic salt , then cut open 4 cheap sausages to use the meat , and mix it to a nice useable paste , this needs to be really worked in to blend the powders right through . This is then wrapped around a piece of Chorizo , or Peperami , or one of the pellets i flavour , standard stuff really .

Hatter

Hi Mark,

Some good ideas there for everyone!

Yes, the bait thing did my head in too for years and I had success and failure in about equal measure!

When I started Carp Fishing in 1988 after reading Fred Wilton's ramblings about the bait pyramid, I was put on a very simple relatively high value bait. Banana Complan mixed with eggs. It caught loads of fish and I'm sure it still would?

Yes, a good bait is always a good bait and B5 is right up there and gets better the longer you use it proving the theory works. In that respect, I would not be frightened of using shop bought baits (frozen) so long as it was a good one and well proven. I don't have time for example to make my own beans for example, I trust Heinz to do it for me!

As regards fishmeals/oils in winter, I caught loads of fish in 2007 and 2008 over each winter on single 21mm pellets with no freebies. All I would say is that both years were exceptionally mild and almost perfect conditions for very long periods.

The colder it gets, the harder it is whatever you use!

Best regards,

Jeff

Hi men ,

Jeff , Late 70,s - early 80,s my baits were dried catfood ground up , and a semo/soya/ maple boillies , but it coincded with the hair rig , so lots of poor baits fished well , as the whole bait / hair combo was a great leveler . I was really rearching for the holly grail , and like you spent time and money to end up with rubish :D . I also met the now unfortunatly passed away Alan Smith on the banks of Springwell . I used his Sencible Baits for a couple of seasons with added betain , but the real game changer was getting on the Grange from Mainline early , rolling my own with the two part attractor package , before they kindly rolled them for me ( when they did roll baits ) . I used to go down to the owners bungerlow in essex and pick up 40 kilos at a time in big plastic tubes :eek: A truely awesome bait , not found one anywhere near as good as that origional Grange . Their follow up baits are quality , all catch , but ..... oh for some Grange :D . Quality of frozen ready mades , and even the latest shelf life baits means rolling is a thing of the past , thank god , :D.

Hatter

Being a complete novice when it comes to trying to make my own baits :eek:
Can some one please explain the difference between a HNV bait and a milk based high protein bait ?
Is it not possible to combine the two together ?

mark, i used to work for the knight family in their abbatoir/meat factory, the same place where they blast froze fish baits , boilies ect, they showed me some
flavour at about 2-3k for a real small bottle :eek::eek::eek:
its where we got the idea of steaming boilies from before the public found out,
i used to get on well with the family until i fell out with cliff, long story and i,ll leave the rest unsaid mate, they made terrific baits for a few years when zen was in conjunction with them.

Being a complete novice when it comes to trying to make my own baits :eek:
Can some one please explain the difference between a HNV bait and a milk based high protein bait ?
Is it not possible to combine the two together ?

Joe , there was a long and interesting thread recently on HNV baits , have a look back that should answer your HNV question , this thread explains [ I think ] milk based high protein baits . Basically both are manufactured baits that contains lots of ingredients that are very good , in protein terms, for the fish . As a result , if you subscribe to the theory, this give you a distinct edge in catching terms as fish apparently show a distinct preference for them and seek them out .. The last sentence is what the debate is all about .

Hi Mark,

Believe it or not, I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and field tested the Grange bait. It was that that prove to me that fish will swim past one bait to get to another. I was doing lots of tank tests at the time at home! I also field tested CP2000 and Assasin8 for Mainline. I phoned Kev one day to ask what the new bait was for the coming season and he asked me how I was doing with what was at the time Assassin8.
I told him I was cleaning up with it. He asked a very sensible question- Why change from a winning bait? It was a penny dropping moment!

I think most of us could learn from that?

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff. Like Mark, I found the original Grange to be the best bait I ever used. The CSL liquid (the larger bottle of the two part additives) was also the finest CSL I ever came across, never found anything quite like it since. (not sure exactly what the clear liquid in the smaller bottle was)

The day they stopped producing the original Grange was a shock to the system, and none of their baits since has equalled it, in my opinion. For instance, the Assassin8 you mention was OK, but didn't work anywhere near as good as the Grange for me. Such is life. If I had to choose an off the shelf, decent food quality bait now, it would not be a Mainline bait...but if they ever brought that original back, I would snatch their arm off for it. In fairness, I should add that I have not carp fished, or used boilies in quantities for a number of years now, so my opinions date back to when I was a regular user.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave,

I haven't been a fieldtester for them now for ages but I'm pretty sure you can get the original Grange? Try giving them a ring?

It was a nightmare being one of the fieldtesters, the times I've waited all day for bait to be delivered and for it not to arrive. One day they sent a taxi full of bait from Reading to Brighton. Crazy days!

I still have a freezer full of M8 left!

Best regards,

Jeff

Hi men ,

I always was led to believe that the clear liquid that was dispenced with accuracy was some form of protine splitter to start the process off , but that may be a "blind" thrown to keep people off the scent . I then went onto Active8 , but strait back to Grange after that batch run out ;) . It one bait I used to enjoy rolling , that way i knew it was spot on .

Dave , I would use the Active8 with confidence , and the much maligned Cell . Got to say i was not drawn to the Hybrid , to combine 2 good catching baits to make a new one seems lazy , but I might be doing it a disjustice , as it seems to catch , just me probley .

Jeff , i drove down to their bungerlow a couple of times for big loads , but it was hassle , so I just paid for the base mix and got on with rolling :D

Hatter

Hi men,

John , Yes it was , had a cuppa in there the first trip down ( and had a play around with some of their unreleased stuff ) , but the second I just followed someone to a place to pick up a load ( like a drug deal :D) , I then just bought bulk base mix and liquids , and rolled it myself .

Hatter

Hi Jeff. Like Mark, I found the original Grange to be the best bait I ever used. The CSL liquid (the larger bottle of the two part additives) was also the finest CSL I ever came across, never found anything quite like it since. (not sure exactly what the clear liquid in the smaller bottle was)

The day they stopped producing the original Grange was a shock to the system, and none of their baits since has equalled it, in my opinion. For instance, the Assassin8 you mention was OK, but didn't work anywhere near as good as the Grange for me. Such is life. If I had to choose an off the shelf, decent food quality bait now, it would not be a Mainline bait...but if they ever brought that original back, I would snatch their arm off for it. In fairness, I should add that I have not carp fished, or used boilies in quantities for a number of years now, so my opinions date back to when I was a regular user.

Cheers, Dave.

Makes you wonder , if it was such a killer bait why did they stop making it ? Sounds like commercial suicide to me .

Can't be certain Mike but I'm sure it was due to cost. As the bit became popular the cost of the critical ingredient became prohibitive.

Hi Dave,

I haven't been a fieldtester for them now for ages but I'm pretty sure you can get the original Grange? Try giving them a ring?

It was a nightmare being one of the fieldtesters, the times I've waited all day for bait to be delivered and for it not to arrive. One day they sent a taxi full of bait from Reading to Brighton. Crazy days!

I still have a freezer full of M8 left!

Best regards,

Jeff

Jeff, they stopped producing the TRUE original Grange many years ago. They kept producing a bait they still called the Grange for years, but it just wasn't the same. Apparently, one of the ingredients became unavailable (or possibly priced itself out of the market) so a substitute was used, not a patch on the original.

The original CSL liquid disappeared as well, with a much runnier, totally different version substituted...that also wasn't a patch on the old one. That original CSL had a very thick lump/residue in the bottom of the bottle, with strict instructions not to shake the bottle, but to let it dissolve in it's own good time...brilliant stuff.

Later on they started producing a bait they called the 'New Grange'...but that was different again.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave,

As I said, I've been out of the loop for some time!

Hi Mike, I'm sure many bait manufacturers will tell you that anglers are ALWAYS expecting a better bait, no matter how good the one you already have is (see one of my previous posts), They expect a new bait every couple of seasons.

The Holy Grail bait that some are looking for simply doesn't exist!

If it did, In my opinion, it would ruin fishing?

Cheers,

Jeff

A few years ago Andy Davies came up with a great milk protein recipe, that was influenced by a Bob Gill recipe. We were buying most of the ingredients from ccmores apart from the flavour and one other ingredient. I think it was costing around £11-£12 a kilo (this is going back 5 years). We had a little bait syndicate (all BFW members based mainly around the Bristol Avon).

A fair amount of effort went into producing the base mix. We even drove down to CCmores once to pick up a load of ingredients. Then mixing it. Then making boilies or chop ups.

I have to say it's the best bait I ever used, and I know everyone using the bait did well.

As has already been mentioned, it was used very sparingly with little or no prebaiting (depending on temperature). My confidence was so high that I'd always expect to catch when using it, even on a tough stretch. It certainly accounted for some big fish on various rivers.

I always used to hair rig a chop-up, wrap it in paste and have a stringer with 5-6 small blobs of paste squeezed around it, and no other loose feed.

It was used in summer very effectively as well, the only problem being that it goes off much quicker. Always best to take small amounts out of the freezer.

Cheers,

Andy F

Am i right in thinking that if you were using a milk protein base mix that you would'nt use an artificial flavour or any liquid foods with it? Maybe just an essential oil or a powdered attractor?

Back