• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Night fishing.

Plenty of interesting views as always on this topic. John, yes, I get the smiley face, sorry. Dave, I have heard the argument before about fish needing a break being a good reason to ban night fishing. Why? Why not ban daytime fishing?

As with everything in fishing it should be each to their own within reason. I think it's sad when fellow anglers want to ban a perfectly harmless aspect of our sport just because they personally don't like it. Or because they're afraid of the dark...:)

I've just re read my post which was intended to be nothing more than good natured and thought provoking to see where I mentioned "banning " night fishing Alex. On the contrary, I said that I loved night fishing although I no longer fish a full night, and that I continue to fish into darkness on occasions.

As I said, I think that on some smaller pressurised river venues night fishing ( 24 /7 ) can have a negative effect on a fishery. To "ban daytime fishing" which includes all the angling disciplines such as rolling baits and trotting seems a bit harsh.
I agree with Neil that it is an unfortunate fact that on some venues 24 hr fishing leaves a scar, but as with most things it is always the thoughtless few that are responsible.
I stick by my comment that if I had riparian rights on a stretch of river I would not be keen on 24 hr access, but would certainly be agreeable for anglers to fish a few hours into darkness. Pure hypothetical dreaming again! :eek:
All the best
dt. :)

Dave , I didn't suggest you wanted to ban it other than your choice should you be an owner. As I have stated on several posts now, I do see the potential problems that 24/7 access could bring. I have also put forward possible compromises that would keep both camps happy. Or should do anyway. of course banning daytime fishing would be harsh, so why is it also not harsh to ban night time angling? Whatever anybody says about tactics, fish pressure etc regarding night fishing is equally relevant to daylight fishing.

Alex Gowney;167692 But though I disagree with a lot of your points there's no doubt they are valid points and maybe a way of keeping everyone happy would be some sort of compromise said:
Apologies for missing that Alex. I had to take a phone call midway through my post which obviously meant we overlapped, ... Certainly agree with the "compromise ". ;)

No worries Dave, it's a bit of a divisive subject but I do find it amusing that people like Stef Horak think night fishing is only for those who can't catch in the day. That view, often expressed by Stef, has obviously taken hold and gained a bit of a following which is why I always counter it with those who don't night fish are afraid of the dark :D. Of course, both views should be a bit tounge in cheek. There are many skills involved in both methods and I actually think the majority of barbel anglers fish night and day as and when circumstances demand or allow

my club have a strict no night fishing rule on the nene which is a condition imposed by the land owners after a lot of anti social problems at night in the past.
and i agree with it as i know that certain sections will be hammered 24/7.
i dont see that there is any difference catching in daylight or the dark as an 18-7 was recently banked at 11.25am not far away.

No worries Dave, it's a bit of a divisive subject but I do find it amusing that people like Stef Horak think night fishing is only for those who can't catch in the day. That view, often expressed by Stef, has obviously taken hold and gained a bit of a following which is why I always counter it with those who don't night fish are afraid of the dark :D. Of course, both views should be a bit tounge in cheek. There are many skills involved in both methods and I actually think the majority of barbel anglers fish night and day as and when circumstances demand or allow

Stef and I have fished some of the same swims but I've never had the pleasure of bumping into the fella,...maybe I can run to a swim faster than him!
He always comes across as a supremely confident windup merchant :D

my club have a strict no night fishing rule on the nene which is a condition imposed by the land owners after a lot of anti social problems at night in the past.
and i agree with it as i know that certain sections will be hammered 24/7.
i dont see that there is any difference catching in daylight or the dark as an 18-7 was recently banked at 11.25am not far away.

Lot's of great fish are caught both at night time and in the day Mark. The point is some people just enjoy night fishing more than daylight fishing, irrespective of the catch.

I am starting to think, having read a lot of different views on here, that all night sessions can obviously be a problem given some peoples behaviour. Camping out in swims for days on end springs to mind. But that does in no way justify kicking people off the river one hour after sunset. Midnight or thereabouts is a sensible compromise and both sets of anglers get ample of their preferred time on the bank.

A club, many on here are members of, has a separate night ticket and a clear cut off point - on the stretches i fish it seems to work, i see hardly anyone at night (it is dark though :)) Plus more cash for the club. I tend to fish a small, shallow river most and feel much more confident at night especially in summer when we have very low flow.

Did you try it on the hook, the slug i mean not your Barnet?. Very funny though :D:D

Stephen

Sorry Stephen,... I meant to reply yesterday.
No mate, it went the same way as the others,.. straight out in front!

Just as a brief aside, and having nothing whatsoever to do with this thread or fishing come to that. One of the other unfortunate episodes that happened to my folicly challenged locks a few years ago occurred at the barbers.
I was the first cut of the day on a busy Saturday morning, but as he was about to start he burst out laughing along with all the other punters .
When he managed to steady himself, ( can't say the same about the rest of them ) using his mirror, he pointed to a well drawn smiley face on the top of my head!
Given the entertainment I had given him and his customers I thought I might at least get a freebie, no such luck.
Turns out that my young son had tried his hand with the felt pens whilst I had fallen asleep on the couch the previous evening.
If it had happened nowadays Sweeney Todd would have just passed it off as another weird tattoo,....could have been 666 I guess.

Anyway, sorry for the interlude guys,...carry on..

BAA are in existence purely because of the match scene, at least that's the official line, so with that in mind I guess we have to live with it, and the value for money coupled with the huge amount of water they have it is still the best option for many.

Again the official line regarding night fishing bans is the insurance aspect, however if it because they want to protect the interests of the match anglers, well as I said that is why they are here...matches and the revenue that brings

Substitution the are for were once and you might be right. A look at their match bookings will tell you it's a shadow of its former self. Also, if you ever pass a stretch that's booked you'll notice that a big match is a dozen anglers. The club match scene is dying on its arse as most of the oldies don't get replaced and they fold.

Insurance - might be an excuse but it's not valid for BAA. Many clubs/syndicates insure their members for night fishing so there's no reason why the BAA can't. There new line seems to be that night anglers are the reason their banks are littered. I raised the issue with John Williams a couple of years ago on my blog here then got a response here. In a few words, they're not interested. It will of course back fire in the long run when the club scene sees the final nails hammered into the coffin.

The case for not fishing for Barbel at night is probably more appropiate on smaller rivers rather than rivers such as the Lower Severn Trent etc. Alternating periods would be a bit of a headache for clubs like BAA to administer let alone balliff .

I repeat what I said as we all know Barbel are a prey to many creatures and they need to have a period or area that they can feel safe, it is a requirement that all other animals have too, if we throw everything at them ask yourself how long will they stay in a river such as the Teme or Windrush? Coupled with all the other pressure these fish face with predators such as the Otter, actually expanding the period we could fish for them would be hugely counter productive on stocks.

It seems that as coarse anglers we don't have the same thinking as our friends the game anglers where common sense is applies when it comes to preserving stocks as opposed to fiiling 'yer boots.

Another reason night fishing can be a pain is the amount of waste that is left, fires lit and of course the lack of toilets bankside is evident to the angler that pops into the swim later, we all have been there....:(

Let's face it how long would the Wye continue to be such a fantastic river if it were not for the stewardship of the Wye and Usk Foundation?
We need to look at our habits and weigh up what is good for the general good of fish stocks to protect what we have and also improve in areas that are now almost devoid of Barbel, it is not an quick fix, I cannot see night fishing en mass helping at all.

Hiya Neil, you old bah humbug monger :D:D

I fish a VERY small river with 24/7 access, for those who wish to pay extra for the privilege. I catch some very nice fish on a regular basis, although the river is by no means easy. There are many members who, like yourself, prefer to fish during daylight hours, and at least as many who prefer to fish at night. As far as I am aware, there are no significant differences between the catches of either camp. I have caught during the day and the night, although because I love fishing at night, I have probably caught more after dark. The thing is, none of that really proves a lot, because it is only the experience of one club on one river. However, I happen to know many other anglers on other fisheries where unlimited fishing is allowed, and they too have noticed no obvious problems. Again, that is not scientific evidence one way or another....but I think it has more value than your pure speculation and alarmist nonsense on the subject :D

As in the past, you are picking on yet another area of angling that you personally intensely dislike (you have a few of those ;)) and this time seeking to get it banned purely because of that (some might say irrational) dislike. Behave yourself man, you are getting almost as grumpy as me...and I have age as an excuse :p:D

Cheers, Dave.

Hiya Neil, you old bah humbug monger :D:D

I fish a VERY small river with 24/7 access, for those who wish to pay extra for the privilege. I catch some very nice fish on a regular basis, although the river is by no means easy. There are many members who, like yourself, prefer to fish during daylight hours, and at least as many who prefer to fish at night. As far as I am aware, there are no significant differences between the catches of either camp. I have caught during the day and the night, although because I love fishing at night, I have probably caught more after dark. The thing is, none of that really proves a lot, because it is only the experience of one club on one river. However, I happen to know many other anglers on other fisheries where unlimited fishing is allowed, and they too have noticed no obvious problems. Again, that is not scientific evidence one way or another....but I think it has more value than your pure speculation and alarmist nonsense on the subject :D

As in the past, you are picking on yet another area of angling that you personally intensely dislike (you have a few of those ;)) and this time seeking to get it banned purely because of that (some might say irrational) dislike. Behave yourself man, you are getting almost as grumpy as me...and I have age as an excuse :p:D

Cheers, Dave.

Insomnia got the better of me Dave hence the reply, not that I was worried about who might be messing about on the bank at this unearthly hour...no not at all, I was musing how a car registered to my wife that has car tax and all the other legal requirements could be reported to DVLA as having no tax and as such she is facing a a court appearance :eek:

However since you took the trouble to reply I think I should at least try and remind you that we are a forum and there is no franchise on what is right or wrong, as is in night fishing. I am not wishing to ban night fishing at all, merely discussing with other members how I feel and they will normally reply how they feel too, it is a sort of civil debate:rolleyes:

I think it would be futile for me to attempt to argue this subject with you except can I remind you of the point I would like to stress more than any other, that Barbel as do all other prey animals do need 'safe' areas and hence do feel safer to feed at night, if we pursue Barbel at night this could in my opinion be counter productive to the welfare of both barbel and those that fish for it.

Not that difficult to understand is it?:)

Neil, if fish welfare is compromised at night why is not clearly evident on rivers that allow night fishing? As has been pointed out before, the welfare of fish can be equally affected by daylight fishing and the problem could then be solved by not fishing at all :)

I fish a small river that had a night fishing ban imposed a couple of years ago as the circus turned up chasing a couple of publicised big fish. Now I've always caught more barbel during the day than at night, I fish at night, I fish several hours into dark most trips I take however I just don't catch so many, in fact I could probably count with the fingers on one hand the number of barbel I've caught at night...... whether or not this is because in the daylight I'm more accurate with bait placement, more alert, more confident or more to do with the fact that I hardly see another angler until it gets dark and I have the river to myself! There's about 15 or so fishable swims on the small stretch I fish, I'll arrive at dawn to empty banks, wander around all day and have it to myself....... on the way back to the van i the hours of darkness most swims are then occupied. So much for the night fishing ban!
I think the reason more barbel are caught at night is the simple matter that there's more baited hooks in the water at night.

Neil, if fish welfare is compromised at night why is not clearly evident on rivers that allow night fishing? As has been pointed out before, the welfare of fish can be equally affected by daylight fishing and the problem could then be solved by not fishing at all :)

Yes I think that's what we need a blanket ban Alex, :) Or better still let's have a fallow period say 10 years, after that I am sure rivers such as the Windrush Bristol Avon and Teme will be brim full of Barbel once again.

OK let's get started...you first.:)

I am not the one suggesting night/day fishing is causing problems though Neil :)

Differing points of view have led to claims that night fishing is damaging fish. I have countered that daytime angling cannot be excluded from similar accusations if indeed such accusations are true. If we are all correct then are we all clamouring for an outright ban? Of course not, we are all fighting our corner. And as you and I both know, which I realise is your point, angling did not ruin the rivers you mention.

A lot of speculation about how much damage night fishing can do to a fishery (debatable) which is why I would be totally in favour of a compromise. My main rivers are BAA run and as many have pointed out, flexibility is not their strong point1

I am not the one suggesting night/day fishing is causing problems though Neil :)

Differing points of view have led to claims that night fishing is damaging fish. I have countered that daytime angling cannot be excluded from similar accusations if indeed such accusations are true. If we are all correct then are we all clamouring for an outright ban? Of course not, we are all fighting our corner. And as you and I both know, which I realise is your point, angling did not ruin the rivers you mention.

A lot of speculation about how much damage night fishing can do to a fishery (debatable) which is why I would be totally in favour of a compromise. My main rivers are BAA run and as many have pointed out, flexibility is not their strong point1

Alex you say that you thought I alluded (I think) that demise of those rivers were not because of Angling, pressure, and yes I understand that Otter will take the blame, but we also have a vested interest in managing what we already have, albeit for the time being, and being squeezed. And by managing that should include angling also, I find it difficult not to point a finger at angling pressure as to the demise of fish stocks, especially on smaller rivers.

In the event of a Barbel's habitat being bombarded by lines and leads in a river such as the Teme, it would be I think a major factor in the Barbel's flight to somewhere less pressured. In that regard if you allow me, night fishing would only exasperate the problem.

This problem of angling pressure is well understood by the likes of WUF who for good reason limit rods on all beats.

I'm not disputing what you say at all Neil. I am merely wondering why night fishing should be deemed a major culprit and suffer a ban while daylight fishing is left untouched. I know you say about the barbel needing some free time and they will only generally feed at night on some waters but equally there are other waters where they only feed in the daytime, due in part to the nocturnal nature of otters. How would a compromise between night and day angling not work for everyone?

Back