• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ousemeisters Barbel Challenge 2014

BTW, how's the river looking? Any water in?

Am about to board the delayed BA0286 from SFO to LHR. I think I might bring a dog stake on Saturday to save me when I fall asleep and topple in the Ouse!

R.

Very low Robin, but a number of barbel have been coming out. Some doubles too :cool:. I will have to give it a miss as i broke my ankle on the nidd last night :mad: Good luck to all Ousemiesters ;)

Dave

Gaz
still using that wonder bait you told me about and still waiting for a bite!
Mike I may be late so I will text or call when i arrive
Ken

I'd be there tomorrow but I'm full of cold and looking forward to staying in the warm tomorrow!

Have a good one guys.

OK Steve , thanks for your good wishes , hope you feel better soon , you need to wrap up more when you are riding on those push bikes :D

Thanks for the comments chaps , it was a pleasure as always . Well yesterday was very hard going fishing wise , Mother Ouse was extremely low and barely moving , however 8 anglers rocked up to face the challenge . Despite the poor conditions some nice Perch were caught and some very good looking Gudgeon as well , enigmatic as ever the Tommy Ruffe could not be tempted despite a barrage of chopped worm . Honours went to Greg Mellor , who had trecked all the way from Birminghamland to his old stomping grounds to show us all how to catch a barbel with a fine 6lb er , well done Greg . Commiserations had to go to Ken , who in the true spirit of the event came fully kitted out with his Chapmans and Marco cane rods and Mitchell 300's only to lose a barbel on the float , top marks for effort . Mr Bowes managed to win a large bottle of Bourbon for the prettiest gudgeon as judged by the barmaid in the pub , how much did you pay her Robin ?I thought Marks was prettier .:D Good craic down the pub , and it was great to see young Dave Maddo who still managed to get out despite a badly broken ankle , tough men these Ousemeisters .

Thanks to all for coming , it was a great day out amongst very good company , here's to next year . Tight lines

Howdy,

How time flies, I have only been fishing 3 times since this!

I stumbled across this photo on my laptop the other day and thought it should be used to stir up this thread for this years challenge. Well there was that and the fact that Mike Lowrence came to stay recently and it was nice to have the trophy on his bedside cabinet as a reminder :D

This fish is the biggest I have had from The Ouse, and is certainly the first one I have weighed too. At the time I had the take Mike Lowrence was on hand to hear me moaning about how little flow there was and how low the river looked.

I guess there is only one question...when is this years date? I guess Mr Hodgkiss is too busy enjoying perfect barbel conditions :p (well, they are here in Worcestershire anyway!).

Looking forward to it and any excuse to come home, fish and drink beer has to be taken advantage of.

Attachments

• Various 084.jpg
    Various 084.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 218
I've got one lieu day left at work - been saving it, hope the holiday book isn't full!

Back