• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

transport

yeah citroen charged me over £180 for a new key and all it had was on/ off buttons and had to wait a week for it, i would never buy a french car again

Oh! Dear we have just added two to our collection of corporate bangers, so far though the Pugs have been fine, and why just have one French Mistress when you can have two? :)

As far as Berlingo vans are concerned I can only say I have found the brilliant for driving distances in, very comfy for a van, and nice drive, Cirencester to Glasgow and back in a day was my record, never missed a beat. Electrics can be fun though :p

Ive started looking for a new van for fishing /work Got a astra van but a bit to small if honest and is a 08 plate so want something newer and I want a van with comfort . Pulling my hair which one to have caddy is to small in the back I do like new Vauxhall combo but a strange shape and I like the new Ford Transit Connect but unsure how much room there is. I did have a pick up which I loved but the fuel it took was not the best

Dean, the Caddy Maxi which I have is 7'2" from bulkhead to back doors. Bigger than the lwb Connect, I measured them both when looking for a van.

Interesting. I've just managed to persuade my dear wife that we needed a bigger car in our old age.

Honda CRV very nice and ideal for barbel or carp gear. Had it two weeks and love the thing, but expensive to run in town. But it's good compromise.

with reference to the 2 ltr HDI being the better choice to go for in the berlingo range , would that be advertised as a 1.9 D or is that a completely different animal ?

Think of rather get an audi a4 or a6 estate in Allroad form... There's plenty on eBay from a monkey upwards...

1.9d is a different animal, reliable enough, but the more modern HDI is an absolute gem and far more fuel efficient and more powerful, 90bhp as opposed to about 70, and 50-60mpg as opposed to low 40's.
The HDI is available with 110bhp, not sure about in a van though.

Get yourself a defender!!!!

Since buying my first about a year ago, I wouldn't be without one. You can drive it in mud covered wellies, it will get you just about anywhere, you can wash them out with a hose, you can maintain it yourself really cheaply, they are easy to modify for storage..... The list goes on

Since buying my first about a year ago, I wouldn't be without one. You can drive it in mud covered wellies, it will get you just about anywhere, you can wash them out with a hose, you can maintain it yourself really cheaply, they are easy to modify for storage..... The list goes on

I bought my first Defender in 2004 and only changed it (for another Defender!) in 2011 when the LEZ changed as I was living in London at the time!

Ex utility 110 models with the van body are the cheapest, but you need to know what you are looking at, because chassis/bulkhead rust can be costly to fix. The 200TDI and 300TDI engines are long lived and reliable (not LEZ compliant for commercial body types though).

MPG for the 200 & 300 TDI models is around 30 -35, but worse for the later TD5 model - I'm lucky if I get 25 MPG from mine!

Using a van such as a Transit or Midi is fine until you get stuck in mud!! This was the reason I switched to a Defender!! :rolleyes:

I bought my first Defender in 2004 and only changed it (for another Defender!) in 2011 when the LEZ changed as I was living in London at the time!

Ex utility 110 models with the van body are the cheapest, but you need to know what you are looking at, because chassis/bulkhead rust can be costly to fix. The 200TDI and 300TDI engines are long lived and reliable (not LEZ compliant for commercial body types though).

MPG for the 200 & 300 TDI models is around 30 -35, but worse for the later TD5 model - I'm lucky if I get 25 MPG from mine!

Using a van such as a Transit or Midi is fine until you get stuck in mud!! This was the reason I switched to a Defender!! :rolleyes:

I keep trying to get mine stuck!

Up until about 6 months ago I had a VW Golf and was looking for some thing new for fishing . I thought about a van and thought I would have the same problem as my golf . Driving it through water filled pot holes down muddy dirt tracks , or even getting it stuck in the mud .

I then looked at land rover freelanders and found the head gasket blows every 60,000 miles and decided no way .
Then I looked at the Nissen X-Trail and bought one . Great cars you can switch from normal road use to 4x4 with a turn of switch . I can use my X-trail for pleasure or fishing

who said head gaskets blow every 60k miles ? On my 3rd freelander now and had no problems. the pre 2000 models werent good.

who said head gaskets blow every 60k miles ? On my 3rd freelander now and had no problems. the pre 2000 models werent good.

Cliff when I started looking about 6 months ago to buy new transport for fishing . On a website for a local garage there was a Freelander for sale .
Cant remember if its was Petrol or Diesel and it stated the milege and that it had just had a new head gasket fitted . So out of curiousity I phoned the garage and asked about the freelander and asked about the head gasket and he told me that is was a common fault on freelanders for the head gasket to blow around 60,000 miles . So I am only repeating was I was told over the phone .

Its the K series rover engines which have the head gasket issues. The BMW TD4 engine is solid. When I looked into getting one it was also advised to go for an auto because the manuals were quite hard on clutch wear?

I'm about the sell my Defender T5 W reg. New clutch and fly wheel. Hardtop (van back) with rod brackets for rod storage! Three front seats and a side bench in the back, all with seat belts. Navy blue, alloys, front fogs, kick plates, roof cage. A beast that has been all over the fields of Wiltshire when we used to have barbel in our rivers! 115K miles.

I'm looking for £5K.

If you've got a fishing car to sell, whack it on this thread I say!!!

Am I the only one that feels sorry for anyone driving a defender on the road - it's like they have their faces squashed up against the glass the cabin is that tight!

Back