• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trent Barbel

It is a big fish. But how big really depends on the size of the angler holding it as there's no other real reference point.

It doesn't look 20lb to me at all though, too thin.

A poor quality pic of a claimed 19-1 Trent barbel has appeared on Facebook in the last few minutes. Impossible to tell until better pics emerge but it looks a big one

A poor quality pic of a claimed 19-1 Trent barbel has appeared on Facebook in the last few minutes. Impossible to tell until better pics emerge but it looks a big one

It does look a belter too based on the photo that's been posted. Of course it goes without saying that it's already kicked off with some less than generous comments. There must be enough experience of this sort of nonsense now to make those that choose to share their fantastic captures on social media realise that you need to get some really decent shots and post up the best.

I meet a guy on the Trent the other week. Told me he had two elevens and a ten in a single sitting. Then a near 13lb the next time I meet him. He seems a really nice guy, but is it me or do other peoples scales all weigh different to mine?

Thing is I know fish like that exist on the Trent, but all in two trips?

I meet a guy on the Trent the other week. Told me he had two elevens and a ten in a single sitting. Then a near 13lb the next time I meet him. He seems a really nice guy, but is it me or do other peoples scales all weigh different to mine?

I wouldn't disbelieve that for one second. Whether that particular fella is telling porkies is immaterial, I don't doubt such catches are possible. Even in my limited Trent experience, I've seen (and caught) similar catches.

One thing I've learnt over many years' angling is that the banks are full of bull****ters. Full of them.

I don't understand why three doubles in one session, then a 13 in the next, is so hard to believe. The alleged 20, on the other hand, and based on the photo, looks no more than 12/13lb. I know it's difficult to tell from a photo, however I think most of us recognise a big barbel when we see one - and that one ain't. Even the 14-10 pictured above only looks massive because of the way it's held; at arms length. He's not fooling anyone.

This one was caught on the 31st October at about 3.45pm. I think my elbows are at my sides and my forearms are not excessively forward. I think this looks every ounce of it's 15.02.

Attachments

• 15.02 RH 31.10.14.jpg
    15.02 RH 31.10.14.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 272
With that big boilie sized lump on its pelvic fin i would have thought someone would recognise the Trent 20lb barbel,(if it is that big).Its a good fish and does not get to that size without having its portrait taken a few times.Anyone remember catching a fish with that lump?. Great fish,Bob well done.

This one was caught on the 31st October at about 3.45pm. I think my elbows are at my sides and my forearms are not excessively forward. I think this looks every ounce of it's 15.02.

Cracking fish bob, surprised you were messing with the rubbers Sunday after having that, I'd be searching for its mom

13.02 RH 17.10.jpg

This is one of 13.02 caught 2 weeks earlier when the new beard was just stubble! I was very pleased with it, though it was not in such good condition as the 15.02. It would be nice to get one of 17.02 now for the perfect comparison.:)

Back