• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A great angler

The greatest angler's are the ones you don't hear about.

Without a doubt the best anglers are the ones who go for the love of it and use any tackle they got, and 100% don't get involved in politics and any of that nonsense. I've recently got involved in politics (in the world of carp fishing surprise surprise) and i'm ashamed of myself for getting involved even for a short moment.

Really its all about concentrating on what your doing and having fun !! The great anglers do exactly that!

If you were to ask 'Who is the most beautiful woman ever?', the correct answer would be 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. So it is with this question...the answer is down to personal perception, how the individuals life experiences have coloured their views...there is no definitive answer.

My answers would be anglers such as Richard Walker, Ivan Marks, Chris Yates and several others of that ilk. Men like them were recognised by their peers as exceptional people with massive talent. In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether they were match fishers or specimen hunters...or from some entirely different sport/hobby. Men like that stand out from the crowd whatever influences decided their course in life.

But that is only my opinion isn't it? You may as well ask 'What is the meaning of life?', or 'Do flying saucers and little green men exist?', or 'Are their such things as ghosts?'. The answers will all be equally biassed, and so ultimately meaningless.

Closed season boredom has definitely set in :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

A few years back I was walking the bank on the Warks Avon and came across this angler who was the most proficient I have seen with a stick float, every under arm flick of a cast was on the money, just left of the overhanging bush snag, followed by a pouch full of maggots, in the exact right spot, then a dip of the float and he was into another chub, or roach, on and it went with the same accuracy and skill.

I never got his name.

mydefinition of a great angler is
DICK WALKER
any close emulation of him and his acheivment will be a great angler
publicised some catches, designed useful tackle, caught specimens of many species,wrote books and wrote articles in the weekly, tried to help others learn,
and a load more :):):):)

Graham many anglers have caught better on other rivers. But not on the Severn.

Nick can I ask again, how do you know that? I didn't understand the 7lb Tench post after mine.

I don't know of any great anglers, I know some that are very talented and some that seem to have something extra, another sense if you like. some choose to make someof their results public others never will.

Is Les Webber a great angler for the amount he has put back into angling or is it just about what an angler catches?

Mmmmmm im starting to wonder about you Nick.If honest im not sure you are who you say you are

Mmmmmm im starting to wonder about you Nick.If honest im not sure you are who you say you are

A secret squirrel :) from the other side perhaps ?.

:rolleyes:
10003443_691635040883351_3251295276571229270_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back