• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A great angler

My opinion on the original post, for what its worth, is someone like Eric Edwards, (ask a pike angler). He has caught some very big Pike but he is no one trick pony with some very big Tench and Those strange whiskered things. He gets my vote not for his angling skills, but for the exceptional amount of time effort and hard earned he puts in as the PAC junior section sec and head coach for the PAC. He hates carp so that's another massive plus point.

I am lucky enough to fish with someone i would describe as a great angler on a regular basis, he used to be well known, still catches a lot of good fish of many species but says nowt. I have learned a lot from him, he thinks nothing of reeling in his own lines to help other people, even strangers, he is totally honest, when a Perch is 2lb 15 !/2 thats was it is, not 3. He has caught very large specimen fish of most types, including Perch, Roach, Pike, Crucians, Tench, Eels Grayling, chub carp and Barbel, mostly from club waters anyone can get access to. How he does it is time and effort along with superb knowledge of fish behaviour. On a new stretch of river he will spend more time wandering it , plumbing and learning than he will fishing. There is no magic formula, hard work watercraft and a love of fishing.

Back