• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Foul hooked fish

Shot/Tungsten ont line

On the rigs that have foul hooked fish there are 2 tungsten sinkers, so the long link is pinned to the river bed.
Mixed up some hali/hemp mix with smelly tuna and krill last night 50/50 and it is a far better consistency than before.Smells like nothing i've mixed before :eek: Lets just see if it cuts down on the foul-hookers with the shorter link.

Dave

Hi Mike I do try to keep it simple most of the time, more so when the water is coloured. I do over think at times rather than just sitting it out and believing in what i am doing ;)

Dave

Your catching Barbel David , doesn't get any better than that :D Anyone that can catch more than one Yorkshire Derwent Barbel in a session as you have done recently is doing very well in my book

On the subject - If you foul hooked and landed a PB would you claim it or file as a nice fish but....?

Having foul-hooked a barbel for the first time on Friday evening on a cast (in the back), I thought I'd hooked a log! It was only a fish of about five pounds but it fought like a double. Anyone getting a PB is in for a shock but personally, I wouldn't claim such a fish.

Andrew. Chasing around. The whole point was to try and stop the situation David is finding. That of milling around fish getting themselves foul hooked due to his long hooklink and feeding mix of lots mini pellets etc.

But of course. No one needs take the slightest notice of any advice.

But of course. No one needs take the slightest notice of any advice.

Bit tetchy today aren't we? Presumably no one should have an alternative opinion either! :rolleyes:

Consider which is more likely to cause foul hooked fish:

situation 1 - David's situation, the fish are approaching a feeder filled with method mix and micro pellet and staying in one spot feeding on the pellet while hovering directly above a long hooklink, the constant tail flicking to hold station while directly over the hooklink is highly likely to result in foul hooking. A short hooklink is all that's required here.

Situation 2 - as I described, the fish is now moving around the swim stopping here and there to pick up the odd pellet then moving on to find the next. The hooklink is pinned down and as the fish are not holding station over it are less likely to get foul hooked. As mentioned you get the added bonus of a 3' twitch every bite as they're already on the move. For arguments sake there is probably more chance of a line bite with fish moving around the swim - but a line bite is a different thing to what's happening here - the fish are getting foul hooked as a result of feeding directly over the hooklink.

Andrew. ANY advice. ie. Anyones...

Read from the start. You have obviously not bothered to read whats been said before and as usual jumped in with 2 left feet.

If you can't accept that loose feeding pellets in the situation described of fast flowing water and problems with foul hooked fish is none too wise.....

Well not much point adding more. Carry on.

Graham.

Taken from David's post the Nidd thread (yesterday)

I had a short evening session tonight for 1 barbel and plenty of pulls and knocks to keep me occupied. No foul hookers tonight and tried a much shorter link!

QED :)

My mix stays in the feeder for about 20 mins and on big pushes often is still in the feeder when the fish is landed.

Andrew. ANY advice. ie. Anyones...

Read from the start. You have obviously not bothered to read whats been said before and as usual jumped in with 2 left feet.

If you can't accept that loose feeding pellets in the situation described of fast flowing water and problems with foul hooked fish is none too wise.....

Well not much point adding more. Carry on.

Graham.

I did read from the start Graham and saw you advocating the use of a mix that stays in the feeder which in my view is part of the problem David was facing. Thankfully he's listened to some advice, tried a shorter hooklink and a mix that exits the feeder easier and he's found a solution. Not sure why you're getting so tetchy about it all. Fished a swim tonight on the Ribble, fast shallow run over gravel loose feeding pellets via catapult over the top of a straight lead and long hooklink. Result of 4 hours work - 5 Barbel and 3 Chub all giving slamming bites. No foul hook ups. It works Graham. Try it. ;)

Andrew. To be honest. I was quite happy using what I suggested with the 15 barbel and 11 chub I caught yesterday from a fast rocky river. :p:D ps not the Wye...up North.

Yes. I know Mike, but I had to reply didn't I?. And it is true.

In fact the only thing that Andrew's boast proved was that the fish were feeding to be honest. And that my rig was more effective.:D:eek::rolleyes::)

Back